NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:55pm
Congrats on a job well done Mike. You, and the few others that have tackled this job have set the bar as far as it can go. You guys are really CCFans; and the boats you own only show partly the fanaticism you guys have. It's beautiful work there Picasso which your bride will enjoy for many years to come. ( I'm sure you will too).

It was a pleasure meeting you and your fellow "craftsman" of the site down there at the St. John's, and hopefully Mrs. Wakeslayer will be with you the next time. Cudo's my friend.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 3:29pm
Thanks Tim,    Cannot wait to put her to use.
It was great to meet you guys too. Orlando was a blast!! Mrs Wakeslayer regrets not being able to make it to meet everyone.
Any chance of you making it to GL?

M

PS: The lovely Mrs is headed to Atlanta on Delta this morning to visit a friend for the weekend. You guys are all over Mpls now that you bought NWA.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 3:43pm
Don't know if we will or not. I get my girls 4 weeks of the summer and I haven't scheduled it with their mom yet. If we do we'll probably pull a Wakeslayer/Jbear and fly in for the event. I'd like to go but will have to see how it all pans out.

Tell the Mrs. I said "Thanks for flying us and paying my salary!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 4:07pm
Ha. Absolutely, I will tell her.
Luckily for us GL is only a 5 hour drive.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 12:22am
HW, kind of a generalization on mid 80's value wise, I just hate to see someone pay top dollar for a wet boat and then find out its rotted after the purchase, the boat i was refering to was a 85ish, it was rough and to me 2k, was even alot for the boat. alot depends on the general condition and a one on one basis
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:02am
Beautiful Site Mike! Does the Python stay under that garage year-round?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:39am
Ha !! Aren't you funny Jbear. There is two feet of ice in that exact spot at the moment.
The whole rack is in from late april til about Oct 1. Takes about 5-6 hours to put in with 5-6 guys, and 1 hour to take out. My boats live indoors unheated all winter. All full of AF and tucked in.

Won't be long now !!

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:40am
For you Floridians and the like among us, that means two feet vertically.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 2:58am
Well its a nice set-up none the less. You must have some good buds if it takes that many guys to put that set-up in the water.

2ft vertically? Wow that would cool a bunch of Beam and Coke.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 3:24am
The deal is that I store their boats, indoors for no charge. Boats cannot come over til the dock and lifts are out, and they are held hostage until they setup is put in. They get free storage, which I have tons of, I get free help, which I need tons of.
Good arrangement for all.

Yes, not kidding. Couple weeks ago it was 28inches thick. Guessing with the sun getting higher it is around 20-22".
Some days I think it would slush up your handle of Beam.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 7:57pm
I am cautiously optimistic that I will get to splash the PonyBoat this weekend. I had estimated ice-off at this past Saturday. I was off this year by a few days. I may even run her on the hose Thursday night. I have three people coming to pick up their boats Saturday AM, and one of those and both of mine need the AF flushed out of them.

Can. Not. Wait.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 1:33am
Well, I could not wait. I launched the Mustang tonight. The ice went off way faster than I would have expected and a neighbor called to tell me he was out on the lake at about 5:30 on the way home. I do not appreciate being the second guy on the lake much and am not going to be the third. I went and filled her with gas, hooked up a hose, and launched her!!!!
She starts and runs fantastic. I have three issues. Two small, and one is hard to say, but potentially a huge PITA.

A) thermostat is stuck open, so I have no heat and no reading on my temp gauge. Nothing got hot, I could rest my hands on the exhaust indefinitely. The water temp is mid 30's.

B) no reverse. This is just an adjustment, but I failed to bring tools as it was just a quick hit. It goes into forward a little early.

C) and this one sucks, I have water filling the outside of the primary port stringer. After talking to Boat Dr for a good while I/we are convinced it is the thru hull for the exhaust. It appears that I still am taking on water even when the boat is off, so deductive reasoning and a couple crossed fingers telss me this is the problem. I am going to remove these and 5200 them really well and see what happens. I have pretty serious doubts that any of my connections are leaking in the exhaust itself. I am double clamped at every connection, tightened with everything I had in my arms, double checked, checked again, and again, and again. I find it unfathomable that any of these points failed. Possible, but I do not see how. Going to fix the thru hulls and give it another go Saturday.

She does purr, and goes like hell.

I will report back this weekend.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:03am
Congrats Mike.Cool ride in more ways than one. I don't know if yours are like mine,but I was surprised how my thru hulls were attached. They are just a 3" pipe sealed in and a trim ring on the outside. You might have moved the exhaust around and just broken the seal.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 10:09am
Mike,
Did you and Billy discuss the speedo pitot tubing and pulsation dampener? Just a thought for a source of the leak. The dampeners will freeze and spit if water is trapped in them from a clog.

Congrats on the water run! Did you break out the champagne?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 11:24am
I had this same problem with my Mustang the first time I took her out. Water slowly made it's way in. Pulled the exhaust trim plates, put some BoatLife LifeCaulk in there and problem solved.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 11:33am
That is what we figured on the thru hulls. I put some pretty good pressure on them a couple times. Then, the hose that I used was so stiff and the top of the thru hulls are abotu even with the top of the floor so in order to get the floor flat I had to stand on it to hold it down from upward pressure of the hose.
No speedo on this boat, so that cannot be it.
I am going to seal the exhaust up tomorrow night and get the trans adjusted. Probably cannot get the stat done til this weekend.

Thank you guys. And yeah,a cool ride, I was freezing by the time I put her back on the trailer. I dressed like the heater would work...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 1:34am
Got the trans cable adjusted. I broke the cotter pin so had to get a pack. Now I have spares.

I did seal up my exhaust with 5200 around the seam, and a bit of rtv silicon as a back up on the trim rings. I hate silicon, but I want them to come off when I paint the boat. I really do not think these were the problem. I found a 1/8" - 3/16" perfect hole about 2-3 inches forward of the transom on that side. I really cannot figure out how I never saw it from teh top side with all the work I did in there. But I didn't. I sealed this up with 5200 for the time being. I had intended to Marine Tex it, but I had a hell of a time with my thermostat, and decided that if this isn't the problem I will be back in there anyway. I have another spot to fix on the chine, so I can drill it out then.

Lastly, my stuck thermostat problem was a NO thermostat problem. Weird. Getting the bottom nut off the housing was extremely difficult. Getting it back on was not as bad. I have a thermostat coming in the mail but was at NAPA getting gasket material and they actually had the correct thermostat sitting on the shelf. I was not aware that NAPA had a huge selection of inboard boat parts. NOt that I would want to buy a lot from them, but on a weekend in the event of an emergency, it is good to know.
Second water test tomorrow or Saturday !!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 12:30pm
I now have no leaks, working thermostat, and reverse.
My temp gauge starting rising and falling quite a bit after running for a little while. I am guessing I need to replace the impeller. I have one here so no big deal. I did replace the temp gauge from a newer style Faria to a Teleflex marine that more closely matches the ones I already had. At the time I bought a new temp sensor but did not change it. Any chance the older one does not run my gauge properly? Maybe too sensitive or something? Any opinions.
I also need to loosen the shaft packing a bit as there was no real drip coming from it and it was a bit hot.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 4:26pm
FWIW, the old gauge range was 100-250,   new is 120-240, any difference in the sender?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 5:09pm
Mike,
The ohm range of the sender needs to match the gauge but most are standard and will work on any gauge. Put the new sender in and see what happens.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 12:41am
I put the new sender in. No change in the readings from the gauge. It is reading very hot. I have a laser temp gun and it shows low temps every where. The intake was reading 150-155, exhaust risers 80-100, exhaust pipe 60-70, temp sensor itself 150-155. I did gun the circulating pump, and that was hot at 155 up to 180, I chalked that up to the returning water from the heater. The boat seemed to run fine. The last time I went to start it, it appeared to start hard. I put it on the trailer as the water temp is mid 40's and I have no interest in swimming it in. Is it possible I have the thermostat bacerds? I have the spring end in the housing and the fatter part in the intake. Nothing reads anywhere close to the temp the gauge says (190-240) until it has been shut off for a bit and it radiates. I have yet to check a ground on the gauge other than the initial install. I considered that the circulating pump may be going, but chalked the higher temp up to the heater return. Nothing smells hot, or burned, and most everything reads a lower temp anyway. I have a used stat that I can try and put in, too.
Open to ideas, this is stumping me...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I put the new sender in. No change in the readings from the gauge. It is reading very hot.

Mike,
Any extra resistance in the wiring between the gauge and sender say from corrosion or bad connections will cause a lower than normal reading! Check out the sender ohm range and gauge ohm again to make sure they match. Then check your "S" wire from the gauge to the sender to make sure it isn't connected to anything else. It must go directly to the sender. Your lazer thermometer sounds like it's telling the truth.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 12:37pm
Do the laser temp readings bug you at all? I am not sure if I should be alarmed or not. I have check and rechecked all hose connections, stat and impeller housing for leaks. nothing.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 12:45pm

Do the laser temp readings bug you at all? I am not sure if I should be alarmed or not. I have check and rechecked all hose connections, stat and impeller housing for leaks. nothing.

Mike,
The lazer temps don't bug me at all. They all seem to be within a normal running temp of the engine. I use a lazer here at work checking for hot spots in all our electrical services. Depending on the cost of the unit, the color of the surface as well as the distance you're shooting from there are some accuracy issues. They are a great tool for rough temps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 1:02pm
I have a Raytek MiniTemp. I use it for all sorts of stuff. Such as surface water temps this time of year 38* on Saturday, 48* last night.
There was no thermostat in it previously, and the old gauge read what I viewed as a normal operating temp. I had to go mess with it....
What concerns me also, is that I do not want to start imagining a symptom or problem, either. I will check the wires and such tonight.

thanks dude.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 6:10pm

Is it possible I have the thermostat bacerds? I have the spring end in the housing and the fatter part in the intake.

Mike, I think you have the 'stat in wrong.
thermostat
The spring end goes in the manifold,that is the part that senses the temp.If you do have it the way around that may account for the gauge swings.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 8:38pm
Going to look again. I am a lot faster at it now, after a little practice.   I swear I have it in correctly, but worth a look.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 12:53am
On mine Mike, the HM conversion, you can't put it in backwards not enough room in the cover. It might just be the cold water your in
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 2:20am
Well, if you cannot laugh at yourself , who can you laugh at? It was, indeed, in bacerds. I swear I have changed a couple dozen thermostats over the years. Evidently, it was helpful to have an old one sitting in there to orient it properly. As stupid as it sounds, I did not realize they open backwards onto themselves when they warm up. Pretty much kicking myself in the balls...
Anyway, the gauge is still whacked, but is steady, as though it reads accurate range, just 40-50* high. Still went over the engine with the laser to make sure nothing was truly wrong. I did not take the time to go through the wire as I figured installed correctly, it would give me the readings I wanted to see.
I must have either a mismatched sender or a bad gauge. Nothing ever read above 140-145 while being run.
Just silly...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 11:52am
Mike, you said you bought the new temp sensor- where did you get it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 16>
  Share Topic