NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Registration number install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Registration number install
    Posted: March-24-2009 at 5:55pm
Pete, I realize I don't have my figurative nylon adhesion license, but these are only temps.      

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The look fine.

I think so too. Greg, did you have Amy put them on for you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 4:51pm
I wanted them forward for a couple of reasons. Georgia likes them up there and the curve of the bow hides them a bit. That pic was shot from down low.

Besides HW, it's been too late for me for a long time!
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 4:42pm
The look fine.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 4:15pm
In Maine we're required to place the registration sticker and a milfoil sticker next to the registratin letters/numbers. Until a few years ago, I never put the stickers on the boat, I left them stapled to the registration. I finally got pulled over and was warned that I'd get a ticket the next time, if they weren't on the boat. Now I place them on the windshield. I hate putting stickers on the hull.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 3:57pm
Here's what I came up with and how I got there. I made a poster board piece that represented all of the numbers, spaces, and the state sticker. Then I ran a strip of 1.5" painter's tape along the dark blue stripe and marked the dimensions on it. Then I put the stickers on above the tape.

I did it like this because there is a curve in the stripe and above in the rail. After looking through the diaries, I tried this.

They look straight, but they aren't.

Pardon the mess...this stuff is slung all over!

1st round of compound...

1988 BFN-sold

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 9:16pm
Run a 1/2" masking tape stripe along the hull where the bottom of your reg numbers will be. Stand back and make sure its straight. The numbers most likely have a split in the backing so you can remove only 1/2. Remove the bottom 1/2 and carefully place each up to the masking tape. You can unstick and move a couple tmes if your gentile.Once you have the bottoms nice and straight and spaced properly rub the bottom 1/2 so the stick well and then remove the top 1/2 backing and rub those down as well. Then remove the 1/2" tape and admire your work. Take your time and you'll do fine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 7:54pm
The blue in the middle is what I have. These are the same as may be in a pic from the river.

Cheesy...maybe a bit. The funny part is the guy who looked at my vent graphics(he's a member of a ferrari site like this) frowned a little and said he'd make sure to fix that for me.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Did you get the reflective mailbox letters? bling bling

I looked and looked and looked...the only guy who had yall's wetsuit color saw my boat and wouldn't sell them to me?!!?   

A post is complete when HW stops by...!
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 6:54pm
Did you get the reflective mailbox letters? bling bling
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 6:47pm
I'll take that pointer and run with it!

See, it's all your fault! LMAO!!!

Thanks Tim, and I'll take that a step further...I didn't think about taping the top and then sticking.

Heck, if it can be done on the workbench; I'm in my natural habitat?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 6:36pm
I can tell you the trick I used on dad's pontoon last year- not sure if anyone has a better one or not!

I first taped the letters to where I wanted them on the boat (lined up the blocks). I made sure the tape extended all the way onto the letter that would be staying. Then I flipped up the block and removed the sticker surrounding the letter, leaving the masking tape attached to the boat. Then I carefully swung it back down and pressed it on, top to bottom. Came out half way decent- straight anyways.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 6:13pm
Yes, individual, that's what I meant by peel and stick.

I'll be fine. I was just sure that someone here had a 'trick'.   
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:45pm
Im still not following! I assume theyre not all together in one strip- so they are all individual letters? Block or cut out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sorry guys, I didn't state my need very well.

Id say not!

Well darn it all...if you had just answered me first...?!!?   

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What kind of letters/numbers are you working with Greg?

West marine originals for this summer. It's way past time to be spinning the egg beater!!!
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Sorry guys, I didn't state my need very well.

Id say not!

What kind of letters/numbers are you working with Greg?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:04pm
Sorry guys, I didn't state my need very well. I thought someone on this site would know a quick/foolproof trick to get the numbers on straight. I'll get 'em close for this year. This fall I'll strip the hardware, windshield, engine out, etc.

Thanks CQ and Pete. I'll have the numbers pretty close to where they want them, and maybe I'll get to shake hands with you both next year at GL.

At some point though, we may want some of you snowbirds to drop by the river!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 4:27pm
The registration numbering is acually federal but the state tag goes by the individual state.

fed numbering placement and size

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 4:05pm
Greg,

Check this out

GA Instructions

Your original numbers were probably on correctly since the state tag is supposed to always be first. Ill is that way also but I put the tag at the end or aft on both sides, just liked it better that way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:36pm
Just so yall don't get upset with me, the deck and hull are on the schedule for this fall/winter. I'm only now getting to spend some time on the outside of it, and the sides look great. I'm holding off on the deck so I can get those decals done like I mentioned and because I have foot pads and so forth that I only want to replace once. The bottom is an off season job in itself. I'm quite sure that I have 5 mph's wasted under there!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

no goofing around

That's no fun Pete!   LOL

Actually, I was thinking of putting it all on upside down...but $11 is such a small percentage of a billion?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:05pm
might want to wait on the stickers and see what instructions they might have. But I would think if you just ran a piece of tape horizontal that was meassured down from the rub rail and then from keil/bow and ran a vertcal line of tape on each side then you would have a starting point then you could measure and mark the space on the tape as a guide you should be able to get them pretty close on both sides.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:03pm
Thanks Greg...the thing is I don't want to pay someone until this fall?!!?   LOL

These are peel and stick #'s I already have.

PS-I just talked to one of our neighbors about getting together this spring. We hope you and your's will join us! You may not believe it, but my whole dock is floating.   

We'll leave the date up to mother nature.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:57pm
Chris, I have new tax stickers on the way and I know about where GA wants the numbers. The old ones were 28.5" and 34" back from the bow(not even!). I'm going to average that at 28.5.

My plan is to make a cut-out of the size of the whole thing, position it, and mark the sides with tape and then mark a baseline. Maybe the rest is by eye. LOL

1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:51pm
Greg,

Just take your numbers to pretty much any of the sign makers up there in Gainesville & they will probably know everything you need. I took mine to one in Buford & they knew the size, choices I could use for the fonts, etc. They can give you instructions to put them on as well. It's not that bad at all. Your decal from the DNR should show how to position the decal with the numbers.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:50pm
Thanks Pete, but I'm going to wing it this spring. I talked to a local graphics guy about reproducing the 'vent decals' that are only on the 87's and 88's and he will match the numbers at that time using the gerber mask technique.

For this year, I have some generic numbers that are the same as what used to be there. I'd just like to have them on straight.
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:39pm
You need to check with the GA DNR for the correct size and placement on the boat for the numbers, typically 2" and then you'll also need a state registration sticker as well, where ever you get your car plates from you should also be apply to get you the info you need for the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:25pm
Greg,
I believe Overtons has a service or any vinyl sign shop can print out the whole number/letters on Scotch Cal. It will then come as one piece with the transfer paper - no goofing around with trying to line everything up and space it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 2:14pm
My experience with stickers is just about that...bumper stickers and the like. I think I have a plan to re-apply my registration numbers but haven't done it before. I do have new 'tags' or whatever they're called coming from the DNR and there is no hint of where they used to be, so I'm starting from scratch.

This is such a simple thing I almost didn't ask, but I also thought someone here may have done this before.

Shop tips anyone?

1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic