NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 Atom Skier Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 8:02pm
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to ask questions anymore, but I was wondering if the light green paint on all of the stringers/framing is original, or is it grey. Because we're about to start cleaning up the framing & we figured we should know this now & get the paint soon. I'm hoping the green's original... it looks cooler than grey

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 8:45pm
Nate,
Yes you're allowed to ask questions! I told you I'd still be around to help!

Here's a paragraph out of the "68 Chris" thread regarding bilge paints in Correct Crafts:

"Chris's were at least consistent and actually used a bilge paint like most wood boat builders did. Now, with wood Correct Crafts, I've seen enough of them to know they would through all their left over paints and solvent washes in a bucket and call it "bilge" paint!!! My Atom is a mix of green and gray!!"

I must say however that I am very surprised about you being concerned about the original color of the bilge paint!!

Any pictures of your dads boats yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 2:00pm
Pete, wondering if this pylon looks like it could be for my Atom... looking at possibly picking it up...

Pylon

Thanks,

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 2:55pm
Nate, the ring and finger look different from mine but see if they can shoot you a pic of the base.

Pete, did they change the pylon between '55 & '64? If not, I've got a good shot of the base and the R&F of mine here...'64 Atom pylon

Nate, I'll be back home early on the 1st and can get measurements off mine if Pete (or someone else) says they're the same.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 5:19pm
New Pictures Uploaded... We just got the new stringers in yesterday, they're only clamped in place at the moment, as we're waiting for bolts, but soon. Even with just the clamps, it's amazing how much they stiffen up the boat as compared to the old ones...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

Nate, the ring and finger look different from mine but see if they can shoot you a pic of the base.

Pete, did they change the pylon between '55 & '64? If not, I've got a good shot of the base and the R&F of mine here...'64 Atom pylon

Nate, I'll be back home early on the 1st and can get measurements off mine if Pete (or someone else) says they're the same.

John,
Sorry but I missed your post/question while I was up north for Christmas and New Years. I just caught it when Nate brought the tread back to the top.

Yes, the 50's and 60's pylons are different. The 50's were anywhere from a chrome pipe if exposed to a painted pipe if under a section of deck. John, your picture is a great example. The ring and finger was simply a 3/4" round shaft onto which the ring and finger were welded on and then chromed. The early 60's pylons were really the first ones made with any consistency. They too were made with pipe and stepped larger by inserting/welding larger and larger pipe towards the bottom. I think it was 3 steps. The 1" ring and finger into 1" pipe. the 1&1/4" pipe and then 1&1/2" pipe.

Nate,
The pylon you found on ebay isn't a CC. To me, it's a 70's generic (after market).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 1:09am
Stringers bolted in as well as new chines in place & screwed in. Everything's painted & ready for the plywood.

Link to pictures in Signature

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 10:31am
Nate,
Looking good!! Sure brings back some memories!

I do have a question. Is that paint on the frames bonding surfaces to the hull? Are you planning on using 5200 or epoxy to bond the ply to the frames? Ether way, if paint, it's not the greatest for adhesion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 11:20am
Pete give me a call if you get a chance.................Boat dr
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 9:22pm

Nate,the Atom looks great! What kind of wood did you use for the chines and frames? Gary
Watch your fingers.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2009 at 11:23am
Gary,

For the chines we went with air dried oak and for the frames (we only replaced 1.5) we used Phillipine Mahogany.

We're looking to start getting the bottom on tonight after work & tomorrow depending on if we head up to the Detroit Boat Show...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 6:32pm
Pete, here's some pictures of my dads old 1939 Chris Craft 15.6ft Deluxe Runabout that you asked about a while back...

Sashay

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2009 at 6:55pm
Nate,
Nice!! Does he still have it? Is that you in your younger years standing on the dock in the red shorts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 12:50am
Thanks Pete, No he doesn't have it anymore. & no, in the first picture with someone in it that's my older brother in the red shorts standing on the sailboat.. I think when that picture was taken I would have been around 5-6 years old & then the later one with Sashay in the background & the paddle boat in front of it, I'm the one in the water, pondering how i'm going to get into the boat, with my brother sitting in it. I think i was probably 7-8 at that point.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 4:46pm
The bottom is on the atom as of Saturday afternoon. No pictures yet, because of some weird shadows that we were getting taking them, but i'll have some up soon.

The Sides are next... Hopefully this Weekend!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 11:07am
Looking good! Ill bet those plywood sides go on a lot faster than these planks I'm working on! I didn't see if you were using any 5200 on the frames, I think that stuff is better than the screws for holding power.

Get those pics up... We should be puttng on sides this week as well.

later
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 12:47pm
We 5200'd all the frames & battens just before laying the sheeting down. the 5200 definitely has some holding power, but from my past uses of it & my understanding of it. It's basically a glorified caulk... so the screws will stay in Besides, we already drilled all those holes in the plywood... we'll have to fill them anyhow

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 2:33am
The Sides ARE ON!!!

Not gonna lie, i'm pretty geeked about it. Actually looks like a boat again. Though, the work's nowhere near finished, it's nice to see it like this. Pistures updates in Sig.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 2:51am
Nate , did you get my E Mail? give me a call about W/S Brackets..........Billy
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 10:41am
Lookin' good! Im going to have to play catch up now...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 11:29am
Get At it Sean!

Billy, Got your email, took pictures this morning uploading them as we speak at work & I will email them to you in about 5 minutes.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2009 at 3:19pm
the bottom was fiberglassed this past Tuesday night, with 2 more coats of epoxy since then. Epoxied the sides Saturday morning, so they're ready to be sanded a bit & painted, though I believe we're holding off on painting the sides until we flip it over to start working on the decks & the interior. Ordering bottom paint today, hope to have the bottom painted by the end of the week & maybe have her flipped over by Saturday.

My pictures in the signature on Photobucket were updated today, the last of those pictures is from Tuesday night right after 'glassing the bottom. Probably wont update it until we get it painted & Flipped. Enjoy!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 5:21pm
Got the Atom Primed & bottom painted this past week.

Also got her flipped over this afternoon... Ready to start on the topside.

The Sides will get painted once we get alot more of the inside of the boat finished, so that we don't have to be quite as careful hopping into & out of the boat as to not mar the sides.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 6:03pm
Nate,
You're making progress! You think you'll have it in the water in a couple months? Any work on the engine?

I just noticed you haven't put any spray rails on the hull. Are you leaving them off?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 6:42pm
Nate, That is looking really Nice !!!!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 8:39pm
Pete,
We just got the valve guides we'd been waiting on for the last month or so. So the motor is ready to put back together, clean up & paint.

Also, As for the spray rails, we're going to put them back on, but they'll go on before we paint the sides... probably sometime over the next month or so.

& yes, i'm still shooting for an Early June deadline. Though with the way my early june is shaping up... it won't matter if it's finished then, it probably won't get launched until mid-late June.

Thanks Mike!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2009 at 9:42pm
Nate,

Are you finally going to get in the darned car and show up at Green Lake this year. It would be great if you had the Atom in tow, but it would be fine if you brought the 78 as well. Actually, it would be fine if you just showed up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:30am
Great progress Nate, I love the fact that your doing this with your dad.

Ditto what Brian said, Green Lake or bust.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:52am
Thanks guys.

Yeah i've been toying with the idea of Green Lake. My only thing is it's like 2 weeks out from my 2 A Triathlons this year.... i'm not sure how that'd work into my training schedule.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:16am
Nate, Pete and I are gonna need to see some "OLD WOOD" . You never know I may be thru with the Dart by then.If so your woody will have some company. Now if we can get Pete to bring his.
Would that not be too cool,
The Dart is a 1949
Your Atom is a '50s
I am sure we will have a '60s boat or two
A bunch of '70s
And of course the '80s
The 90 year models
And then, here comes the '00

That would give us Seven Generations of CC boats gatherd at one place......Boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic