Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 Atom Skier Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:08pm
Nate, did you do the scarf joints on the plywood yourself?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:20pm
Nate,
I was just looking at your engine pictures again. I didn't notice it before but now see your Chris A-B has been converted to 12 volt. Probably when the PO converted it over to the alternator. Wow, what a hack job on that hole cutout for the alternator conversion!! It's a fairly common conversion on a Chris/Hercules BUT the fan is removed on the alternator. This allows for the smaller center "pilot" on the alternator to fit into the cast front engine mount but still leaves enough for elongated alternator mounting holes for belt tensioning. Not much there left for you to work with! Removal of the fan isn't a problem because the required output of the alternator is so low. Also, he didn't swap out the pulley on the alternator. You can tell because it's riding so high. The crank pulley and the belt should be a industrial "B" size which is 21/32" (5/8") top width.

While you have the engine apart, I'd set the front engine mount up in the mill and machine some decent flat aternator mounting surfaces back into it. Then you would need to come up with some type of adapter mounting plate to make it a reliable charging system.

It's amazing to see what some of the "hackers" out there will do!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:23pm
Yeah, Pete My dad went to work on that hole a couple days ago, got a few pieces welded in then we'll have to grind it down & re-cut the hole. Quite a bit cleaner this time around.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:25pm
John, Yeah we scarfed the joints ourselves. Bought the scarfing tool. Mounted it on an old saw & it worked perfectly.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

John, Yeah we scarfed the joints ourselves. Bought the scarfing tool. Mounted it on an old saw & it worked perfectly.

Nate

Nate,
Did you get the West scarfing adapter? I looked at it once and even contacted them about it. My concern was it would be fine for a painted ply panel but not good enough for a bright finished one. They confirmed that the cut it produces is quite rough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:01pm
Yeah, it's the West Scarfing adapter. Thing works pretty sweet. The way they showed in the little booklet for how to clean up the cuts after cutting 3/8 & using a hand plane to take out the ridge we found we actually had better results leaving the ridge on each panel & then just butting them to eachother. If it was bright finished it would take a little more work, but i think you could make the joint nearly invisible with some time.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:17pm
Nate if you have time, could you post a pic of the joint so we can see the pre-painted result?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 1:53pm

Nate, I may not know my a$$ from my elbow when it comes to wood boats- but that looks like a plywood transom to me. I take it youre staying original with the bright ply rather going with the mahogony planking?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:12pm
John,
I can't remember what year your Atom is. It is a painted hull correct? As long as it is painted then the scarf is relatively simple. Here's Nates scarf:
On a bright finish it gets complicated but I can go into details if needed.

Tim,
It looks like a planked tramsom to me!! I had my hopes up there a second too!!

Nate,
Why did you overlay the transom planking to the hull sides and bottom rather that the original inlayed? So the ply edge wouldn't show? Won't matter from the standpoint of potential water intrusion at the joint since you've glassed the bottom. Did you catch the Compact Skier I/O on ebay with the transom overlay?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:20pm
Tim,

You're correct. That is in fact plywood. Though a much better looking ply than the rest of the boat. It's actually Ribbon grain Mahogany plywood. Not cheap, but absolutely gorgeous looking. The decks will get the same, I can't wait to see it varnished.

Pete,

We layed the transom over the sides just to cover up the end grain of the sides. Since the sides get paint, we figured it would be an easy way to keep the transom looking nice & clean w/ the ribbon grain ply, instead of having the ends of the sides showing through when it's varnished. It wasn't anything to do with water tightness... everything joint's 5200'ed & the bottom is glassed. So there's no worries there. No i didn't see the boat on ebay. what's the deal?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:24pm
Nate, very cool!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:48pm
Nate,
Greg (skicat) started the thead on the CC I/O. CC Panther Read through it if you get a chance. Interesting things pop up on ebay!!

Ok, so it's ribbon gain ply. I was going to comment on the tightness of your seams! Of course that would have been a compliment to your woodworking skills but also a warning - I've seen a couple cabinet makers do boats that have turned into disasters after the planking took on some summer humidity!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 2:54pm
Yeah, I remember seeing that one a little while back. I'm not concerned though, because as stated, every seam is filled with 5200 & then has glass over it. Should be pretty water tight.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 3:57pm
Just a question guys, I've read here in the past where Pete has warned of a wood boat thats been glassed over, is that just a warning on a repair/hide job and not a concern on a restoration like this?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 4:45pm
Alan, I wonder about that to because I often see wooden boats for sale that have a "West System" bottom. I've got a friend that has a 1937 Elco Cruisette, a gorgeous boat that he paid big bucks for that West System bottom. I hope he didn't ruin his boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Just a question guys, I've read here in the past where Pete has warned of a wood boat thats been glassed over, is that just a warning on a repair/hide job and not a concern on a restoration like this?

Alan,
Most but not all of the problems associated with glassed bottoms are from the repair/hide jobs. When the "technique" started, everyone thought it was going to be a miracle cure all. The glass was put over already loose planking that a thin layer of glass isn't going to hold together for very long. Then, these jobs were done with polyester resin! It being hygroscopic it didn't take long for the bond to fail from water going though it as well as from the bilge or even from the bottom still having a high moisture content. If the bond didn't fail right away, then there was the rot issue and it destroyed the bond. I mentioned it once before that I happened to be boating next to a glassed over boat one day. Almost the whole glass bottom came off at once and took some of the wood with it!

With a new plywood bottom, CPES treatment and epoxy bond failure isn't as much of a problem but still can be. The cure to this is not glassing the boat! I don't feel there's a need to. The glass isn't significantly adding anything structural to the ply and with 5200 seams (or epoxy) it's not adding any real leak protection. A good coating of CPES is all that's needed. Epoxy coat is optional.

Now with a double plank bottom the 5200 job has really proven itself. This however must be a complete down to the frame job. If the wood is good and the moisture content is good then it's reused. If not it's typically the inner planking that's bad and replaced with new or ply if the hull bottom shape will take it. There is absolutely no reason to glass it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:27pm
Like Pete said, it's the people who think epoxy/fiberglass will fix their deteriorating boat & make everything new again, This is where people run into problems & people get iffy about using epoxy or glass. My dad's had nothing but good experiences on a number of boats he's restored, some going on probably 15-20 years now. So in the end, it once again just comes down to preparation & knowing what you're doing... not just hoping for some cure all to bring your old wooden boat back to life.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:27pm
Pete, this boat is beautiful. The owner put a "West System" bottom on it. Is "West System a technique or just refers to the product used?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, I wonder about that to because I often see wooden boats for sale that have a "West System" bottom. I've got a friend that has a 1937 Elco Cruisette, a gorgeous boat that he paid big bucks for that West System bottom. I hope he didn't ruin his boat.

Bruce,
Some problems are starting to show up with so called West "bottoms". It goes back to how they were done. The problems seen are if epoxy and glass were simply used to cover up the bottom. Moisture of the wood when the bottom is done seems to be a key. If your friends Elco was a down to the frame job then most likely he'll be ok. It's also not a high speed boat that will get lots of shock loading - the West due to it's hardness is known to get hairline cracking at high stress points. This is why the 5200 is now the prefered method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:44pm
Pete, the only "shock loading" that Elco has seen has come from the coolers carried on board. And those days are over as the owner settled down and got married.

The term "West System" implies a job very well done. I had been wondering about it since I learned a little about glass over the past year. Sounds like original is better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 5:46pm

Pete, this boat is beautiful. The owner put a "West System" bottom on it. Is "West System a technique or just refers to the product used?

West never was a bottom "technique" just a product line of epoxy. They started off making cold molded hulls (ice boats) with thin wood veneers each saturated with epoxy and laid over the previous until the hull thickness gave them the strength needed. You end up with a complete encapsulated epoxy boat.

Then, someone started using the epoxy (probably after the polyester failures!) for "repairs" to the bottom. The failures with them prompted West to add a complete "how to" section in their book on the do's and dont's!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 6:33pm
So the bottom line is when someone advertises a boat for sale with a "West System" bottom, WTF knows what you're getting.
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
I can't remember what year your Atom is. It is a painted hull correct? As long as it is painted then the scarf is relatively simple.

'64. Clear finish. Constructing the joint appears to me to be a potential source of great frustration b/c of the clear finish.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Terp Terp wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
I can't remember what year your Atom is. It is a painted hull correct? As long as it is painted then the scarf is relatively simple.

'64. Clear finish. Constructing the joint appears to me to be a potential source of great frustration b/c of the clear finish.

John,
Don't let this problem hold you back from doing a original restoration. I may have mentioned the process before but here it is. More care is needed to make the scarf and there as several more steps. When you get to the point of cutting the scarf I do not suggest the West saw adapter. I have a sketch at work that shows the basic router sled (large base).

You will need a large (you can probably do the ply in 2' widths) flat clamping surface. A means of clamping the ply flat and guiding the router sled. A hinge mortising bit in the router will give you a nice clean cut. Now, the ply needs to be prestained (filler stain), sealed and a couple coats of varnish slightly into the scarf bevel. This will allow you to epoxy the scarf and any epoxy that oozes out can be wiped off and not soak into the bare wood. Without the prestain/seal/varnish, the epoxy that soaks into the face veneer will prevent it from "taking" a stain. With todays ply, the face veneer is .020" to .030" at best so you have absolutely no material for sanding.

When I get to work on Monday I'll post the basic scarfing set up so you can get the idea how the router is set up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 9:54pm

So the bottom line is when someone advertises a boat for sale with a "West System" bottom, WTF knows what you're getting.

Yup!! Bruce, you should read some of the comments that Don Danenberg makes on his site when someone asks about a "West bottom"!! He's known to be rude and crude, and doesn't hold back when discussing a West bottom!!

One of his statements: "By the way, there is no such thing as a 'West System bottom'. I know this because it is clearly stated so by the Gougeon Bros representatives who occasionally write me and remind me that they have lawyers."

In person he adds a few expletives!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 10:42pm
Thanks Pete, that's the one part of the resto that worries me a bit. (Maybe b/c I just haven't learned enough yet to be concerned about how other aspects of it may be particularly troublesome!)
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 12:01pm
Hey Pete , how about a link to Don Danenbergs sight.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2009 at 12:20pm
Pat,
Here the link:
Don Danenberg

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2009 at 3:44am
Well Guys, finally got the last piece of decking put on on Tuesday night & did the final inner & outer trimming of it. I know how you guys like pictures posted here instead of having to go all the way to the bottom of my post to click on my sig. so here's some of the highlights...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2009 at 11:29am
Nate,
You're getting there! Still lots of work before the water. I sure can appreciate the man hours!

When you decided to plank the deck, did you ever consider doing it with covering boards instead of just the straight planking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic