Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque & HP Open Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
Author
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 1:49am
If you have no one local, I haven't found anybody that I liked. you could give these guys a shot. They're on the east coast somewhere I think. I've gotten some things from them in the past, always easy to deal with, and I've gotten some off things.

Mandrel Bending solutions
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

If you have no one local, I haven't found anybody that I liked. you could give these guys a shot. They're on the east coast somewhere I think. I've gotten some things from them in the past, always easy to deal with, and I've gotten some off things.

Mandrel Bending solutions

Thanks Andy, may come in handy
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 1:57am
sorry for the hijack but lewy just curious could you link some ski boat manufacturer from there?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:14am
My Commander style manifolds were paired with a 90 degree Piece so not a direct comparison I am afraid. I am sure there is something that can be done for more even flow, maybe even a simple diverter on the end of your hose fitting might help. But I think someblue silicone high temp exhaust hose might be the real trick.

Looking good though, and your exhaust temperature might change a lot with tuning so I wouldn't be getting too concerned about the hose temp yet.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:33am
Kapla,

These are the cheapest but more of a Ski boat. Rolco

This is the higher end of our local manufacturers.Matrix

These are middle to highend. Skicraft

There are plenty of other smaller manufacturers but these are probably the 3 largest.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 2:41am
what happened to the "airline" or something alike? I still got some pics of a boat waay loaded with people and a Big block engine.

Is that Matrix boat a Malibu splash???
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 9:54am
Alan,
A "S" bend my be pretty tight centers to mandral bend. You may want to consider fabbing them up like Tim did using butt weld SS tube fittings. Less than 45 degree bends can be cut.
Mcmaster has the 304 SS. Do not use the "muffler" grade SS parts found at auto/truck supplies. They are 400 series SS and will rust.

304 butt weld fittings

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

what happened to the "airline" or something alike? I still got some pics of a boat waay loaded with people and a Big block engine.

Is that Matrix boat a Malibu splash???

The "airline" caused a huge controversy in the Wake community over here. Lots of rumors etc they never really hit the market a few were built though. I think somebody else has the moulds now maybe we will see something eventually.
The Matrix are a quality boat. I looked at them just before I imported my 89. They compare very well to a Malibu Sportster or Response same price as Sportster but size and fitout of Response. My favourite is the Sorrento closed bow which is a great ski boat that has sub floor floodable ballast that pumps out a good wake for its size. Just could not justify the AUS$45000 investment. I like the size and crossover capabilities because we do a bit of everything but are not good at any of them

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with these manifolds, they are similar in design to commanders and I don't recall hearing of any cooling issues with those. JoeinNY/Trbenj,etc..comments? Thanks

Alan, I cant really comment on the Commanders either- theyre installed on Nick's engine, but that boat hasnt hit the water yet. The elbows definitely look the same on the Commanders/Edelbrocks though... Ill be keeping an eye on what you find out!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 5:33pm
I don't believe that the feed to the mainfold is correct it should have been to the lower fitting, forcing the water up and out, the way it is currently, air pockets can and will be created, and that's not good read cracked mainfold hydro-locked motor. The way it currently is plumbed is not good for flow or thermal transfer characteristic nor will it help purge the system of air within the mainfolld.

also I would try varying the amount of flow to the elbow and watch how the flow changes as it exits the elbow, try using the other fitting to the elbow and see what effect that has, use both fittings and check the effect that has, but I believe your going to need to use both ports of the elbow to cool it properly this will force water over the top of the elbow and provide much better thermal tranfer to the water.

you have to slow the flow on these manifolds down, your creating a spray internally automaticly from the reduced dia of the fitting, so feeding at the same pressure thru the same 1" hose is not good, 1" ID hose goes into a 3/8" fitting can you say nozzle because that is what is happening.

there is much more to a water jacket design than meets the untrained eye.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 9:25pm
Chris 79, There is only one fitting on the elbows not 2, I could drill and tap the other side but I don't think thats the problem. Besides I can't put the fittings on the outboard side as the motor cover will not close. Just to clarify, the manifolds and elbows are running at 98 degress, cool to the touch but how the water is exiting the elbow is the problem causing a hot spot at the top of the hose. I'm going to play around with the water flow tonight and see how that affects things.

As for routing the infeed water in the bottom that makes sense,I can easily change that but I plumbed them that way on the advice of someone that has a set on a boat now without any issues that I'm aware of. Secondary problem easy to fix.

Thanks for the input I'll let you know what happens.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2009 at 10:23pm
Alan have you reworked the elbows, look at my elbows on my SBC Edelbrocks.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 12:26am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Alan have you reworked the elbows, look at my elbows on my SBC Edelbrocks.

Roger, the elbows are stock and are new old stock, never been mounted on an engine before this. I've seen 2 styles of elbows, the ones I have and your style.

How are your hoses plumbed?

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 4:39am
Those elbows would probably be more restrictive than Alan's. Which negates the whole purpose of the exercise. From memory that is probably why the Edelbrooks flowed better in the first place.

Alan don't forget to make sure your exhaust flaps are in good condition. The log style of manifold is more prone to a backwash without the riser section.

89 Ski

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 6:57am
Alan I didn't know there are two types of elbows, looks like I have the slow ones,if you make some new ones up please post, as for piping in I was following your setup but now I think Chris is on the money with this its a bit like my hot water tank at home hot water rises to the top and runs from there.
Thanks for sharing you finding on this, poor out flow looks like to be a flaw on the elbows if you look at mine there is a corroded spot which may be down to lack of water.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 11:41am
Allen the elbows I had the fitting was on top and centered, not sure if this makes a difference, but with the fitting to the side I don't see how it's not going to create a swirling type pattern in the water jacket. With it being on top then it's hitting a wall and slowing the flow and creating turbulance as soon as it leaves the fitting and enters the water jacket.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Allen the elbows I had the fitting was on top and centered, not sure if this makes a difference, but with the fitting to the side I don't see how it's not going to create a swirling type pattern in the water jacket. With it being on top then it's hitting a wall and slowing the flow and creating turbulance as soon as it leaves the fitting and enters the water jacket.

Agreed, the top inlet sounds like the trick. I ordered some stainless tube custom bent so I can finish hooking the exhaust up properly. Probably won't get that until next week, in the meantime I have another set of elbows I'm going to play with and see how I can redirect the water flow inside. I'm sure as with most things there must have been an evolution of improvement with these things, possibly the center water inlet was a later version to improve cooling.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2009 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Alan don't forget to make sure your exhaust flaps are in good condition. The log style of manifold is more prone to a backwash without the riser section.

While this is a true statement, the flaps still arent 100% necessary. They didnt start coming on CC's until sometime in the 70's... lots of boats out there with log manifolds and no flappers. None on either of my Skiers!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 6:48pm
Any updates here Alan, I am finally in possession of most of my parts and looking for inspiration as I start putting in the long hours of assembly...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Any updates here Alan, I am finally in possession of most of my parts and looking for inspiration as I start putting in the long hours of assembly...

Yes Joe, I'm ready for a water test. Put the new stainless elbows on and the cooling problem disappeared. I think the rubber hose just couldn't disipate the heat but the steel run nice and cool.

The other thing I finally got accomplished was to install the air fuel sensor. It's a pretty neat setup and I'm anxious to get the boat in the water and play around with tuning it. I made an aluminum plate (polished it ofcourse) and mounted the wide band comtroller and gauge down by an engine mount.

I'll use the gauge for tuning mixture at idle and then it hooks up to my laptop with datalogging software for tuning at other rpms/loads. Hopefully if I understand it I'll be able to tune for proper jets, powervalve and WOT and not have to worry about burning holes in pistons chasing the CCFan boat around!

I'll post a few pics tonight.

Keep us up to date on your assembly, the horsepower gods have been pretty quite this winter and it's time to make some noise.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 10:43pm
Here are some pictures Joe, Nothing too exciting but just some progress.

The SS elbows really made the difference

Air/fuel wideband controller

and no my ratio is not 7.4/1, the motor's not running, key is on for dramatic effect only. The panel is mounted to the motor mount and by removing one nut and the power and ground wires can be transfered to another boat in minutes. A product of pure winter boredom no doubt.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 11:08pm
that's just such an awesome setup you got there...
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:10am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Alan, where did you get those blue flex exhaust hoses ?
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:27am
Roger, they're high temp silicone bellows by Trident Marine. I got them here

Make sure you're sitting down when they give you the price!!!

If you don't need the high temp they are available in regular rubber at about 1/4 the price from the same place.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:36am
It has been quiet around these parts but I suspect it to be loud by Green lake. As per usual I am bringing up the rear with my winter efforts. Thanks for the pictures, at least now I can remember what an engine looks like when its not broken down to its base elements. I figure about week of evenings grinding ring end gaps and I can start actually bolting some things together. I think the air/fuel wideband controller is sweet, insane of course but in the best way.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:46am
Anybody have a source for an angled carb spacer? I want to level the carb off but I only have about 3/4" of clearance left at the high side(front)of the flame arrestor.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:56am
I think the boat doctor is the man with the spacers if I remember correctly..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 1:56am
Ouch !!! They really like those bellows....
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 11:24am
CorrectCraftParts    1-318-299-8547    Karen
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 2:18pm
ALan

what info you need to desktop dyno my upcoming engine setup?

sebastian
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
  Share Topic