NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water mixing with oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SemperFIsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SemperFIsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water mixing with oil
    Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:09am
Well, I would have thought I was done with SemperFIsh by now: I had warped heads that was allowing water in with the oil, took them off and had them planed, then the whole heads were rebuilt, replaced the whole upper end gaskets, and changed the oil and oil filter twice already after running it in the yard approx 30 min. each time, and when I pulled the valve covers off, there was still quite a bit of watery oily (thin white pudding) on the underside of the valve covers. Also had quite a bit of condensation under there. Is this normal, is it just flushing out the water that was there before that is left in the bottom of the engine block? I figured with two oil changes I would have nice clear oil by now, no milkiness. The oil on the dipstick looks clean, its just under the valve covers. I do not want to run it if it is still contaminating the oil. Maybe it is slowly cooking out the water of the oil that was left in the bottom that could't drain out the oil pan hole. Is there a quick check? I still see a little steam come out of the breather tubes out of the valve covers when I rev it up and it collects on the flame arrestor, but nothing like it was doing. Is this normal? Im maybe just paranoid but I don't want anything to happen offshore. Thanks alot,

Capt Duane
Tampa, FL
Semper FIsh N Dive
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:30am
I have almost the same problem but I have not done anything to the heads...yet...

I am going to run it hard and see what happens...staying near the marina...

some say maybe a crack in the exhaust manifold...head gasket...my plugs all look good...it runs really well but I have the bit of steam coming out the breathers into the spark arrester...I'm still fiddling with it
This is the life
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SemperFIsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 6:02pm
GlassSeeker,
Please let us know what you find out, as that may be my problem or something to investigate, I am going to take mine to a boat healer next week sometime. I will let you know if the demons are cast out and what kind, have you looked under the valve covers to see how bad the water is there yet?
Capt Duane
Tampa, FL
Semper FIsh N Dive
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:39pm
yeah I got issues, something is definitely wrong, we just ran it and only got one set in before it would cut out and only run 36(usually runs 41-42)it was kind of cutting in and out at WOT...I am going to start taking things apart...I'll see what I can see but I have been dreaming of a stroker 383 so looks like its time...
This is the life
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SemperFIsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 12:48am
I hear ya, if you got the cash. I don't but I think I would have been better off putting it on credit because I am at that expense rebuilding this one. and I would have landed several world records by now instead of dreaming about it and going through all this pain, but I'm learning. Well, I think my engine is ok, ran it for a while today, (at least an hour) and really saw the water disipate. It is working it out I guess. The last issues are the fuel gauge (not working), the oil pressure gauge (working intermittently), and the prop shaft seal redone. Then I will shake it out and gohit some grouper holes. If they wont bite, I will go get em. (Speargun)

Best of luck with your engine. I have about a two week wait until ny mechanic will be free.
Capt Duane
Tampa, FL
Semper FIsh N Dive
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 9:32pm
List of possibilities.

1) Cracked exhaust manifold
    2) Cracked exhaust riser
    3) Exhaust riser gasket
    4) Cracked intake manifold
    5) Intake manifold gasket
    6) Cracked timing chain cover
    7) Timing chain cover gasket
    8) Cracked head
    9) Blown head gasket
   10) Cracked block
   11) Agree / Disagree ?
   12) What else ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 10:04pm
That about covers it.
Peeps have mentioned all of the above possibilities.
I think I am just going to get a new engine because the 265 horses just were not enough as it was...42 just is not fast enough, I need at least 46 to 48 and with the motor I'm getting should get 55 at 5500 rpm, 400hp, 400lbs of torque...383 stroker...

I'll look things over on the old motor and try to figure out the problem since I do want to use my exhaust manifolds and risers. I have also heard that it is very hard to find a leaking exhaust manifold crack since it is "inside" the manifold...

I am really not sure how to go about finding the exact problem/trouble...

when we are out in the boat the "go" signal is to yell...HIT IT WATERDOG! to the driver.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 5:56pm
A little update:
I finally took my old 350 5.7 apart and replaced head gaskets and intake gaskets...fixed it. Now we get 43.5 out of the boat even pulling a barefooter...pretty good for a 260horse. I'm reving 4500 rpms, so far no more water where it should not be.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic