Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 Atom Skier Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 11:15pm

Nate,The boat really looks great.

Pete,what are covering boards?
Watch your fingers.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 11:56pm
Gary,
Covering boards are deck planks that parallel the hull sides. I went looking for a picture where the description of covering boards would be easy. In this picture they are stained the walnut/black color. Sometimes used in conjunction with a "king" plank down the center like this boat but not always. The main "field" planking with the seams between each typically goes straight through to the transom. This one has the covering board wrapping around the aft.

Here's a more typical deck with all the same color stain but you can still see the covering boards. It's king plank is blond (no stain at all)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nate,
You're getting there! Still lots of work before the water. I sure can appreciate the man hours!

When you decided to plank the deck, did you ever consider doing it with covering boards instead of just the straight planking?

Yeah, we thought of doing the covering boards separate from the rear deck but we liked how the front cockpit corners were radiused so we wanted to do something like that back there as well. Not the same radius (about 2 in. smaller if i remember correctly) but I like how it dresses it up a little bit.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 2:39am
The decks are all bunged & getting close to ready for varnish.

Also got another coat of primer on the sides. Plan to block it out fill any voids that remain & get the sides finish painted by early next week.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 2:45am
Also, Pete I was looking around a bit more & covering boards would actually run the entire length of the boat & looking through all available pictures I've yet to see one that had covering boards. The look like they're all just straight plywood-ed over. doesn't seem original I'm sorry... I had to.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 9:24am
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

Also, Pete I was looking around a bit more & covering boards would actually run the entire length of the boat & looking through all available pictures I've yet to see one that had covering boards. The look like they're all just straight plywood-ed over. doesn't seem original I'm sorry... I had to.

Nate

Nate, Absolutely correct that they where all ply decks but, on the "super delux" fake seems were added in the ply to give the effect of covering boards and the king plank. Other ply decks were done the same way on models like the Aqua and Junior. There's a good overhead picture in the ref. section showing the Junior. My asking you about the covering boards comes from way back when you said you were going to plank the deck. At least you stuck to the ply even though it's the ribbon!! You're half original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2009 at 12:03pm
Good call on the fake seams. I was going to add that above but decided to leave it out. I may be 1/2 original, but the ribbon looks way better than original or standard ply, so I'll sleep OK

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 11:28am
Last week we got the Atom's Sides Painted.

Last night we sanded the deck & then stained it.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 11:58am
Nate,
How are you trimming off the hull side to deck intersection where the rub rail goes? Didn't your Atom have a extra piece of wood (a cap -molding) over the ply edge of the deck held down from the top surface about 1/8"? It's face is even double beveled to match the underside of the metal rub rail. All the CC plys I've seen we done that way. It just makes a good "seat" for the rub rail and also trims off the edge.

Billy's Dart was the first ply I'd seen without the wood cap. I feel it may have been removed during the so called "restoration" they did at the CC factory. Anyway, without the wood molding, Billy had issues trying to position the metal rub rail properly to the top of the deck.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:40pm
Pete,

the Hull side to deck intersection point is already trimmed. We dry fit the rub rail a week or two ago and it lines up perfectly, it'll screw into the side while covering about 1/4" of the deck. So the seam will be completely covered.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:45pm
I see what looks like serious attention to detail in those pics. I'll bet your Dad is a proud man!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:12pm
Nate,
I understand the rub rail will cover the seam. So, your Atom didn't have the extra wood "molding" under the metal rub rail? What rub rail do you have? The half oval or the stainless trapezoid with the squished/flattened ends?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:25pm
Stainless 1/2 Oval.

And I'm not sure of what 'molding' you're talking about. I unscrewed & pulled apart this entire boat & I don't remember seeing any molding like that.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 2:18pm
Nate,
Evidently when the half oval was used in later years the wood molding under the rub rail was deleted. Sorry for the confusion. The older molding (like mine) is the trapezoidal flattened on the ends. Typical of what you would see on a say Chris or Century.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 2:47pm
Looking good!   
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:58am
It takes a special commitment to put those kind of hours in, way to go!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
David 58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 6:19pm
Sounds like you know alot about restoring old woody's. I just bought what I think is an 58 Atom Skier. But I can not find any infomation to confirm that. It has A model# A.S. 231, and Serial # G5809. Do you know how to Identify what I have? This will be my first project and I am going to need some specs to figure it out.
David
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 6:31pm
David,
The "AS" in the serial # is the indicator that it is a Atom Skier. How about some pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by David 58 David 58 wrote:

Sounds like you know alot about restoring old woody's. I just bought what I think is an 58 Atom Skier. But I can not find any information to confirm that. It has A model# A.S. 231, and Serial # G5809. Do you know how to Identify what I have? This will be my first project and I am going to need some specs to figure it out.

The 'A.S.' is Atom Skier, the rest of the numbers/letters I am not sure of the meaning. Correct Craft had a fire or two I believe and all documents were burned.

When I bought my boat I had the nameplate like you found and nothing else, I actually discovered a metal tag on the gas tank to figure out what year the boat was. It wasn't until after this that I found in the bilge a key float that pulled apart and a registration was inside it. So that confirmed everything for us that already believed to be true.

Pete knows a little more about some of these, but in the end, they were almost all built differently (different colors, interiors, etc) because of people ordering them wanted them the way they wanted them... so your best bet is looking in the references here on this site (I haven't checked there yet to see if they have anything for '58) but I've managed to piece mine back together from talking to Pete and a few other guys on the site that have mid 50's Atoms but don't post as much.

Good Luck & Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to help any way I can.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 2:40pm
Well, We've been Varnishing for the last week or so & We've decided to stop for a bit to get to work finishing up some other things that need to be done before we can start putting her back together: Vent boards, Motor Box, Rear Spray Rails, etc.

We got the tape & paper pulled off the boat I think it might have been Friday night. Made some new spray rails, got them primed Friday evening & painted with their first coat on Saturday, as well as constructing a nearly new Motor Box.

We're up to 7 coats of Varnish at the moment & decided that we needed to get working on the other details before we get the chrome & upholstery back over the next week or two. There is a bit of dust in the varnish, but it'll get at least another 2 coats & a Wet sand before the launch. So no worries.

For whatever reason, some of the pictures I tried to upload were too big, even though they were all taken at the same time with the same settings. Anywho, Photobucket is updated and ALL the pictures are there. Last Page. Enjoy.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:28am
Just picked up the seats from the Upholsterer today. They look B-E-A-Utiful!
She's getting close!
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 1:10pm
Last update was over a month ago.

She's 'finished' we didn't get a chance to put the front or rear spray rails on before the show 2 weeks ago, but we'll get them on over winter at some point. Everyone loved the boat & managed to get People's Choice award at the show. Launched the boat last Thursday & had people up to the cottage for a little gathering for it & she ran awesome, all we've done is adjust the idle & she's run perfect.

Originally we were going to get the rear spray rails put on before the show, but, the ones we built were pretty sturdy & there was no way they were going to bend & twist with the tumblehome of the boat like they would have to, so we left off & will get to later. The front ones we thought (and still do) were ugly as sin and weren't going to put them on, however after driving it, it definitely needs them, unless you've got 3 kids sitting in the back for a little ballast.

So there you go. Original or not, I think it came out awesome and that's all that matters.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 1:51pm
Where's thie pics?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 6:33pm
in the link in my Sig.

Man, for an internet forum... you guys have a hard time with this technology stuff.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 6:35pm

Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 7:02pm
WOW!!!     
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 7:46pm
That's a beautiful boat. Your Dad should have worked for Correct Craft. They would have made better boats back then!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 7:50pm
Very Nice Nate...
Just as a reminder to our viewers
Impressivie work guys.

November 08

Sept 09
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:05pm
Wow, you guys know how to work with wood.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 6:17pm
Guys, looking back on old threads, since I haven't been around much lately. (Married in '10, son born in '12, daughter born 3 weeks ago, amongst other things.)

I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words about my father & I's work on the Atom. He helped me greatly & taught me more than I can even think to list.

I'm excited and nervous to pull the 1978 Ski and the 1955 Atom out of storage here in a few months as it will be bittersweet.

On Thanksgiving day, one day shy of his 60th birthday my father passed away completely unexpectedly.

It's been a pretty rough past few months, though, being back at the family business (Automotive & Marine Repair) for coming up on 2 years now (we've been operating since 1952) has been helpful. This summer will be interesting as I worked on the boats with him as well as managing the operations end of the business. The business aspect I'm confident in, the diagnostic end of the mechanical will be a tougher learning curve. I just ask for your prayers in this difficult time.

Best Regards,

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic