NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 50>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:33pm
Alan,
Popcorn popper is about to come out...leftover ribs for lunch tomorrow!

BTW, wondering why "your" Gray is rated a 225hp? ... The Higgins is a 188hp.?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

This thread beats all threads in my book.

WOW, Thank You Dave. That's quite a compliment. Just so you know I have those pictures from the 55 catalog you sent me on the coffee table, I look at them every day for motivation.

Good to see you and Pam today Steve, just finished my leftover ribs.

Mark, I'll get some progress pics up within a couple of weeks, thanks for the encouragement. PS. These are easy hours, I'm having too much fun for this to be called work.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:57pm

This thread beats all threads in my book.

To be able to watch this amazing job that Alan is doing.

And to have it one day to be displayed. It just makes me think that someone picked the right person for this job.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:31pm
Pam and I just got back from an afternoon with Alan and Dana.   All I can say is WOW!!!   We saw the Hurricane briefly this summer at GL. Now with it upside down and torn apart, you can really appreciate the time and effort going into it's restoration! Alan will have this built the way CC should have!   What a great boat this old girl is going to be!!!

Best thing is Alan will never have to worry about someone else having a twin to her. It definitely went to the right home!

ohhhh, and the Hemi setting in the corner about gives a guy a ..... well, lets just say its very COOL!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I think I'll feel real good when I have the stem, chines and keel complete and the boat is ready for planking. That is a personal mile marker/goal. I'm hoping to get to that point around the first of the year.

Wow Alan...you must be putting some serious time in on the boat. That is a a lot of work in a few short months. Always anxious to see the updates.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

If your going to be making the big steamer with pipe, I may be able to get your piping at cost.

Thanks Andy, I'll be experimenting with the steam bending in the next few weeks. I may be in touch, thanks for the offer.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:01pm
If your going to be making the big steamer with pipe, I may be able to get your piping at cost.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looking good Alan! Just got caught up on the thread. This is going to be a great piece of CC history!

Thanks Chris, I did get a lot done this weekend but nothing pictures will catch so not much of an update. All topside planking is now stripped, need to pop bungs out sometime this week and it'll all be ready to come off.

With all the new braces installed and framework repaired the boat is just rock solid now. Next is to repair the stem, that will a full weekend just to get that done. I think I'll feel real good when I have the stem, chines and keel complete and the boat is ready for planking. That is a personal mile marker/goal. I'm hoping to get to that point around the first of the year.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 12:12am
Looking good Alan! Just got caught up on the thread. This is going to be a great piece of CC history!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2009 at 12:04am
AA-

Better than new will be a gross understatement!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Did you ever figure out what added the metal frame at the aft frame was for? Maybe because the wood frame was letting loose?

Looking great!!

Pete, I believe that tie was put in becasue they had to remove the keel tie on that frame when the engine was replaced. I'm leaving it in because it really is pretty stout. For that frame tie I copied one that I saw on a restoration on MBBW.com, it just loops over the prop shaft. I installed the prop shaft for alignment and it should fit ok but we'll see later, May need some fine tuning with the HEMI in place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Alan - Great job, very interesting photos. What does the new wood get treated with?

Chris, everything is treated with 2 coats of CPES then bedded in 5200 when installing. I'm trying to predrill everything so even the screw holes are getting sealed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 8:49pm
Alan,
Did you ever figure out what added the metal frame at the aft frame was for? Maybe because the wood frame was letting loose?

Looking great!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 8:09pm
Alan....Looking good! You are moving fast on this project. I can't wait for the spring to take a ride in it!!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 7:55pm
Alan - Great job, very interesting photos. What does the new wood get treated with?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 6:52pm
Knee braces and keel supports fully installed, along with the new rear bottom frame and sistered topside frame.

The new bottom frame is now firmly attached directly to the strut support block, it was originally just fastened to the keel with 2 10x 2" screws and was floating all over the place. It is secured in all directions and it's not going anywhere now.

The framework under the engine has been altered a little I assume when the motor was swapped to the Gray 327. It was quite a hack job but is back better than original, only issue I have with it is clearance issues for the Hemi but I'll just have to remain open minded and deal with that when the boat is flipped back over.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 1:47pm
Per Gomer Pyle: "Shazam!", "Gaaw-aawl-ly" and "Surprise, surprise, surprise!".

There really aren't any surprises when you get into a wood boat. It's more like I think I had better take this off and what will I find next!

I'd have to say that you are close to no more "surprises"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2009 at 12:25pm
Put in a full day yesterday making more knee braces.

Also found a new surprise at the rear most bottom frame member. I wasn't going to replace the knee braces there because they were hard to get at and looked pretty good but after a little digging around I found some more rot. This frame member is the only one in the boat that is one piece from chine to chine but it came out crumbling.

Today will be easy day of assembly and 90% of the frame repairs will be complete. Next step will be to strip the paint and varnish on the port topsides and removal of all the topside planking. The starboard side bung removal is complete and waiting to come off.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Alan, keep up the great work. Dana must be a VERY understanding wife or you've molded her into the boat somewhere. Thanks for posting your progress for us all to enjoy It's exciting just watching!

Very understanding Tim, she's not molded into it but the boat is being named with her in mind, gold leafed and all.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 2:19pm
Alan, keep up the great work. Dana must be a VERY understanding wife or you've molded her into the boat somewhere. Thanks for posting your progress for us all to enjoy It's exciting just watching!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2009 at 1:16am
Nice job Alan . Looking great already. At this rate you will easily make it to Green Lake.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 9:45pm
Pretty good weekend on the boat although not a lot to show for it.

Got it outside yesterday and degreased and pressure washed it then made a run to the lumber yard.

Today got all the knee braces removed and started to fab new ones. After removing all the knees I found another frame member that will need to be replaced because of rot and another that has a significant crack so those will get replaced.

I decided to fab new knee braces and add a keel frame member to each rib for some much needed support. Instead of replacing the original 1/4" plywood knees with more plywood I purchased some 3/4" white oak. All the chine knees were broken and the keel knees were so small and weak the boat was flexing every time it hit a wave. Instead of replacing the keel braces with original size braces I made them out of the white oak and ran them from stringer to stringer to tie the left and right frame members together. Then the new braces will be carriage bolted to the keel.

Even though the new braces are just clamped in place I can already feel the difference in the rigidity of the boat.

I got most of the braces cut, fitted and then decided to get some CPES on them so I could install them later this week as I was running out of clamps.

It's really amazing these scimpy pieces of plywood held the structure of this boat together.

Fitting and predrilling.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 12:23pm
Eric,
Notice the spelling: "silicone" vs, "silicon" Yes, I shutter when I have to type in silicon and need to remind myself - no "e" constantly!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2009 at 12:18pm
Pete, i didnt know silicone was in your vocabulary...you would be proud of the repair i did on my work car, the sunroof leaked when it would rain, it pi--ed me off for the last time, almost the entire tube in a caulk gun...i did smooth it out nicely
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 1:46pm
Pete,
So ringshank nails bent over on the inside arent a good idea either? (I always use galvanized)

Im guessing that was one of Erics jokes.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

your gonna need alotta deck screws

Eric, You haven't been listening!! You don't use deck screws! Unless you want to get in trouble later, Silicon Bronze is the only way to go - not even stainless!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 12:05pm
your gonna need alotta deck screws and PL400
"the things you own will start to own you"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 11:56am
I know not original but would look sweet on her and new too.

Had stuff from this guy all good.

Edelbrock M8 for a Hemi
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 1:15pm
Paul, Good to hear from you, Keep checking back as I do have some spare time right now so I plan to attack this as hard as possible until we start boating again in the spring.

Hopefully lots of progress in the next few months as I finish pulling things apart, repair frames and get the new bottom on.

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 10:51am
Alan,

I wish i had the time to do a project like that... some day i will do an old wooden boat....Keep up the good work! looking good so far! Can't wait to see her done!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 50>
  Share Topic