NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 50>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:31pm
Pam and I just got back from an afternoon with Alan and Dana.   All I can say is WOW!!!   We saw the Hurricane briefly this summer at GL. Now with it upside down and torn apart, you can really appreciate the time and effort going into it's restoration! Alan will have this built the way CC should have!   What a great boat this old girl is going to be!!!

Best thing is Alan will never have to worry about someone else having a twin to her. It definitely went to the right home!

ohhhh, and the Hemi setting in the corner about gives a guy a ..... well, lets just say its very COOL!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 10:57pm

This thread beats all threads in my book.

To be able to watch this amazing job that Alan is doing.

And to have it one day to be displayed. It just makes me think that someone picked the right person for this job.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

This thread beats all threads in my book.

WOW, Thank You Dave. That's quite a compliment. Just so you know I have those pictures from the 55 catalog you sent me on the coffee table, I look at them every day for motivation.

Good to see you and Pam today Steve, just finished my leftover ribs.

Mark, I'll get some progress pics up within a couple of weeks, thanks for the encouragement. PS. These are easy hours, I'm having too much fun for this to be called work.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:33pm
Alan,
Popcorn popper is about to come out...leftover ribs for lunch tomorrow!

BTW, wondering why "your" Gray is rated a 225hp? ... The Higgins is a 188hp.?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2009 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Alan,
Popcorn popper is about to come out...leftover ribs for lunch tomorrow!

Steve, Just swap the valve covers, isn't that what Reid does!!

Dig through that manual I gave you, I think you'll find what you need in there.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Steve,
Didn't you say your Gray was a 250? Alan's is the 327. Better start looking for a AMC 327 block for the HP's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:45am
I don't have the docs in front of me, but I believe the 327 with a single side draft carb was 188 HP and the dual side draft is 225 hp. Isn't the 4bbl quadrajet down draft rated at 230+ hp? I think the only other difference between the models is timing.    
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:51am
definitely informative, and much patience, i would be all over that thing with a DA and some 80 grit all the latest techniques, throw in some drywall screws, a caulk gun and a weekend lol, nice job Alan
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 4:56pm
Pete , The original motor in the Higgins was a 250 , rated a whopping 135hp! My 188 IS a 327.

Steve , I thought kinda the same...but both 327's (the 188 and the 225) have twin Carter YH sidedrafts...so much for that theory, ehhh?

The only spec difference in the Graymarine manual is the WOT rpms...the 188 calls for 4000, while the 225 runs 4400. All other specs are the same...so how do you turn 10% more out of the 225?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 12:41am
Cam and timing, I'd guess. The 188 would be tuned for torque and larger boats, the 225 for HP and lighter boats.

Sorry for the jack, Alan. Fascinating project, outstanding craftsmanship...no surprise.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 2:30am
Wow....all I can say is this boat sure did end up in the right hands. Gonna be a beauty. Hard to believe how much progress has been made since GL.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 4:17pm
looking GOOD alan!! you make it look so easy!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 5:22pm
This post is dying for some updated pics...
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 5:59pm
Talk about lack-luster. Steve wasted Alan's afternoon.

-i am kidding

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 11:58pm
Joel, Crazy thing with this project is I put in 12 hours this weekend and I'm probably the only one that could see a difference. After this weekend I should have both sides off and I'll shoot some new pics.

This one is of the port side that I stripped the varnish and paint off saturday. Popped a few bungs out tonight.

I do have the framing complete, all screw holes have been filled with epoxy coated dowls and then sanded flush. All framewor is cleaned up and sealed with CPES. I ordered some bilge paint today and will get all the framework painted before the bottom goes on.

I did a quick count tonight and I came up with 59 pieces, either frames, knee, or keel braces that I have fabricated, fitted and installed to date.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 1:29am
I can't wait to see more photos, It is looking great !!
phickman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 1:59am
Very beautiful boat, very inspiring project. And we gripe about repairs on the fiberglass hulls.
Paul Hickman
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Talk about lack-luster. Steve wasted Alan's afternoon.

HW, I had to make an appointment to get up there! LOL

I think the real reason he let us come was I bought the old 188 Graymarine from him, ...... you know, I think he needed some cash for his fix ...kinda like a druggie... This time I think the fix is 3 cases of 5200!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 6:41pm
Didn't get as many hours on the boat as I wanted to this weekend but still some good progress. Another change of plans though became very obvious once I started removing the topside planking, I found 2 issues. About 1-2" of each plank end was soft where they meet the stem so it would all be unusable. The other issue is there was a major repair to the transom and the aft end of all the planks at one time. It appears that the last 2 rows of screws on all the planking must have been loosened and planks resealed with 5200. I wasn't able to remove any of the planks with out destoying them. I tries for hours but finally gave in to replacing all the topside planking with new. That's not such a bad thing as I was torn between doing that or refinishing anyway, this just made replacement mandatory. It will add some expense but I'll be much happier with the end result.

No other real suprises once I got the planking off.

One side stripped and cleaned up fairly well

The port side planking will come off much easier now that I don't have to try to save it. Thanks to my trusty wire wheel the screws are exposed and removed pretty quickly.

The stem is a little softer than I could tell before plank removal but still repairable without having to remove the whole thing and rebuild it. Looks like 2 or 3 more layers of lamination will have to be replaced. Beneath that it's pretty solid.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 10:22pm
Seeing those pics makes it apparent that the planking will have to have be curved both to fit the curves top to bottom and bow to stern. Will you have to save all the old planking as a guide? How will you create the compound curves?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Seeing those pics makes it apparent that the planking will have to have be curved both to fit the curves top to bottom and bow to stern. Will you have to save all the old planking as a guide? How will you create the compound curves?

'
Joel, All the planking was numbering before removing and is now put away to be used for templates. The curve bow to stern is done with steaming but the curve top to bottom is achieved by cutting the plank out of a very wide piece of stock. For example, a plank that is 5" wide on the boat may actually be cut from an 8"+ wide piece of stock to accomodate the shape of the hull. Most of the plank pieces at the bow are shorter than the fairly straight pieces from midships back.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 11:25pm
I too am very impressed by the pics...but I have one question Alan...what is that "white looking" stuff outside your garage in the last pic?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 11:30pm
Thats sawdust John, from all the woodworking goin' on
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I too am very impressed by the pics...but I have one question Alan...what is that "white looking" stuff outside your garage in the last pic?

john

I knew when I posted those pics you'ld be the first to comment!!! I think Gary S said once that's how we store water up here. It was actually nice enough to work with the doors open today John, had to hit at least high 30's.

We warmed up a little bit in the afternoon with a nice big bon fire of old Hurricane wood.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2009 at 11:55pm
Wow!!! Just read through the entire thread and all I can say is this is an amazing project and will be an amazing boat when finished.

Have you done this type of restoration before Alan? What kind of experience do you have with the bending of the wood etc? I hope you can keep the photos and descriptions coming for us that have no experience with this type of work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Wacko Wacko wrote:

Have you done this type of restoration before Alan? What kind of experience do you have with the bending of the wood etc? I hope you can keep the photos and descriptions coming for us that have no experience with this type of work.

I have a fair amount of experience in many aspects of carpentry from framing to furniture building but this is my first wood boat. I have never dealt with steam bending before but with some experimenting and guidance of guys like Pete B I'll get it figured out.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 12:10am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

[QUOTE=M3Fan]
The curve bow to stern is done with steaming but the curve top to bottom is achieved by cutting the plank out of a very wide piece of stock. For example, a plank that is 5" wide on the boat may actually be cut from an 8"+ wide piece of stock to accomodate the shape of the hull.

OMG on the top to bottom curve method. YGBFKM.

Have Dana hide ALL accelerants. All. Lighter fluid, gas, lantern fluid, kerosene, everything. At some point, you might be reaching for it.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 10:16am
Joel,
I'd like to add to Alan's explanation of the steam bending. The fore to aft bending is fairly easy. The Mahogany steam bends real easy compared to some other woods. The forward concave curve chine to deck at the bow is tougher. If you take a look at the picture of the original planking you will notice that they aren't completely concave. There are tangents from plank to plank. This is fairly common with the compound curve of wood hulls. The planks will "cup" somewhat with clamping and screwing them down. Then by sanding they will fair out some more. When the concave surface is extreme. boat builders will actually use thicker planking so the surface can be sanded completely fair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2009 at 8:43pm
Alan- I am loving the pictures as well. Keep up the good work. One question comes to mind from looking at other pictures (not from real world experience!). Is there a reason you took the hull sides apart prior to getting the bottom back in shape? Most of the projects I have seen, the bottom and first side plank are repaired first, barrier coated, painted, and them flipped to proceed with the sides. Do the frames get real floppy with both the bottom and sides off, or did you brace it enought to account for that?
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2009 at 12:52am
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

Alan- One question comes to mind from looking at other pictures (not from real world experience!). Is there a reason you took the hull sides apart prior to getting the bottom back in shape? Most of the projects I have seen, the bottom and first side plank are repaired first, barrier coated, painted, and them flipped to proceed with the sides. Do the frames get real floppy with both the bottom and sides off, or did you brace it enought to account for that?

I had no choice but to remove the sides to get access to the stem and chine. This boat is not planked like a Chris Craft. It has diagonal inner planking instead of battens and it was just easier to remove everything than work around it. Much more work that way and it had to come off some time. I did attach all the knee and keel braces before removing the sides so the frame is pretty stout right now.

The other reason is I didn't want to rely on the planking to support the frame, it's supposed to be the other way around so I left no room for cheating. Strip it, straighten and shore the frame up then rehang the planking.    Recall that the rear most bottom frame was completely broken away, there was spacing between topside planking at the stern that had 1/8" gaps between them because of this. The tail was dragging pretty good but as it sits right now I it's pretty true.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 50>
  Share Topic