Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 nautique floor repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
82erostypop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82erostypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 nautique floor repair
    Posted: January-14-2010 at 7:48pm
Im new to this and have a 1982 ski nautique 2001. I have decided the floor between the driver and passenger need to be replaced. I have never done anything like this and its eating my lunch. I was wondering if someone knows a thing or two about this and could help me out?

I have already cut out the floor to reveal a mess of foam rotted wood and cracked fiberglass..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2010 at 8:32pm
James,
You've come to the correct spot for information but be prepared to find issues under the floor. There's really no such thing as just a floor problem!

There are many threads on stringer replacement from start to finish. I suggest you sit down, do a search and start reading. Plenty of pictures too!

If you start pulling up the floor, make sure you post some pictures so we can follow along and give you better advice when needed.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82erostypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:07pm
this is where im at so far. i got a little too close to the edge when i was cutting out the floor and managed to cut right through the hull! i should have read some of these threads.. the primary stringers (in the pictures) are completely rotted out. can i just cut those out and replace that one section?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 82erostypop 82erostypop wrote:

the primary stringers (in the pictures) are completely rotted out. can i just cut those out and replace that one section?

Like you said, theyre completely rotted out- so I wouldnt stop short of replacing all of the stringers with new.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:26pm
James,
Just as Tim mentioned, you need a complete stringer job. All the wood is wet and the cancer has spread. Don't feel bad as your not the only one who has thought they were only going after a soft spot in the floor! It's time to pull the engine and start getting to down to the bare hull.

Were you surprised as to what you are finding? How long have you had the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:33pm
This exact scenario happened to me October 2008. Once you see what is in there, you are pretty much committed. In your case, I would say you are long overdue. Neither of mine were nearly that bad.

While the idea of the job ahead of you is very intimidating, it really is not that bad. You basically get a new boat out of it for a couple thousand bucks and a couple hundred hours. The community here will walk you right through it.

Best of luck in your project.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 2:42pm
James,
I do have a suggestion for future posting of pictures. Downsize them so they don't require scrolling left to right. It makes them easier to view. Thanks

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82erostypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 8:58pm
i bought the boat two years ago and have spent the past two summers trying to get the motor running right. I wasnt very surprised the wood was rotted out but i didnt think it would be such a mess under there.. the floor was spongy right there so i had to do something about it. what do you guys think about rhino lining the floor instead of using carpet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 9:02pm
I think you have a lot of stuff to consider before you get to the point of what you are going to cover the floor with.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

JohnG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 9:51pm
You have definitely come to the right place; the collective knowledge on this site has saved a lot of boats and first timer headaches. I lurked here for a long time before tackling my stringer job. Good luck and do it all at once; anything less and you'll do it again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2010 at 10:03pm

what do you guys think about rhino lining the floor instead of using carpet?

I think you should continue this thread over to wakeboarder.com and see what they have to say.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 11:56am
just for ***************s and giggles for you retro guy's, there is a company out there that makes non skid surfaces that stick, to the area you want to cover. I'll post the website later. its used alot on platforms and decks. im sure its available in flourescents too
"the things you own will start to own you"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:36am
You guys
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:07am
I have a curious question? I see you pros talk alot about stringers on here. How do you know when your stringers are bad? By the floor? Or by the engine mounts? I am confused.. My floor is solid as can be..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:26am
Skicat-This is a good sign they're rotten!

]
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:28am
Seriously tho, Check the bolts on the engine mounts to see if they tighten or spin freely. Also check for any cracks under the removable floor section behind the motor.

Be careful, searching for rot will normally turn up positive and lead to projects!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:29am
Mine were not obvious until I pulled up the carpet and plywood in the back of the boat. You can see pictures on my thread 1973 Stringer Questions that show obvious signs of rot. The real kicker is if your engine mounts will not tighten and just spin in place. A more invasive and sure way to check them is to use a small hole saw. Drill just through the glass so you can see the stringer. The pilot will go a bit deeper and give you a better indication of what is going on under the surface. If all is good CPES over the hole and them fill with epoxy. Good luck. There are not many dry stringers out there.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 1:49pm
Hey guys thanks! I will check mine this weekend. I think mine are ok, I am putting all my new hoses on this weekend. I will check the screws on the engine mounts.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Be careful, searching for rot will normally turn up positive and lead to projects!

Ain't that the truth....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Hey guys thanks! I will check mine this weekend. I think mine are ok, I am putting all my new hoses on this weekend. I will check the screws on the engine mounts.

While you're under the dog house, you should check the trans/prop shaft alignment too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

While you're under the dog house, you should check the trans/prop shaft alignment too.

How do you know they are of line by just looking?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 3:59pm
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Eric's alignment thread

AWSOME! THANKS WAKE.. :)
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:15pm
Lee,
Maybe you should change your signature line until you start checking the boat out!

Don't forget about the pictures and do check out the stringers. A 85 isn't immune to rot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:32pm
Pete,

You are right. As long as Correct Craft built them the way they did the rot is there.

Most people do not know it because there floor is not soft in front (the first clue to the ones who care)

When you have a boat, wet people, dripping water, there is no keeping water out of or off of untreated or unglased wood.

As much as I love my boats the most discouraging things to find to find is rotting wood.

Dennis

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lee,
Maybe you should change your signature line until you start checking the boat out!

Don't forget about the pictures and do check out the stringers. A 85 isn't immune to rot.

I sure will.. I can not change my name, my dads best friend called me "Skicat".(Long Story) When I was a kid a grew up on a 67 Cetury Resorter, and he was like my idle. I miss that man, I figure I better keep the name going. But what do you mean 85 2001's are not immune to rot.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Seriously tho, Check the bolts on the engine mounts to see if they tighten or spin freely. Also check for any cracks under the removable floor section behind the motor.

I sure will.. Thanks for the advice. I am not going do any hard core search, I will just check those screws on the egine mounts
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 6:48pm
I think what they are saying about being immune to rot, is that there are very very few, if any boats from this era that do not have some signs of water intrusion, which eventually turns into a full blown stringer job.
The PO of my boat swore up and down that the floor was solid. There is not a dry piece of wood in my boat. Take pics of what you find and the group here will tell you what is going on.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

The PO of my boat swore up and down that the floor was solid.

I can never figure out how people can claim that in for sale ads without ever having looked under there. You see it an awful lot.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:35pm
OK i sure will.. I will take some pics of the stringers and post them on here. Tell me what you exactly want me to take a pic of for you guys to give me a solid and for sure answer. I asked my mechanic about them, and he said they where good, but would like yalls advice as well..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic