Forums
NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 barracuda foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 barracuda foam
    Posted: April-10-2010 at 7:13pm
My exhaust has been leaking and now my foam is all wet.I'm going to take out the old black rubber pipe and replace it with 3" copper. My question is what to do about the wet foam? I searched forum on the subject and most were about total rebuilds. My stringers are in good shape and hate to tear the whole floor out. Someone had replaced the exhaust pipes 25+ yrs. ago so the fiberglass floor over the pipe has already been cut out and now has a plywood floor in the whole boat.
looking for any ideas.
thanks in advance for the advice
Bob
68 Barracuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by bob bob wrote:

My question is what to do about the wet foam?

The prevailing answer will be to remove the entire floor & remove the foam.

Next, you have to determine if the stringers are not decaying.

Most guys here will tell you that there is no chance your stringers are 100% OK.

So it pretty much is 'do it all' or you're wasting time & money.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 9:01pm
You could just dig out the foam,I did mine 20 years ago. I am going to need stringers but I got quite alot of time out of it. The main difference is that you don't know how long they were leaking,and mine have been dry for 20 yrs for sure. You have nothing to lose,might as well remove the foam,it won't get any better anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 9:25pm
I would remove the foam and put your floor back down until you want to deal with the stringers. It is the wrong time of year to do anything more than that anyway.   
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2010 at 11:36pm
Bob,
Tell us more about your 68. Have you had it for awhile?

Welcome to CCfan. Are you new to the site or just new to posting? We all love pictures so make sure you click on "post your boat" in the diaries section and submit your Cuda to Keith.

BTW, you will have rot in your stringers!!! You're just not checking deep enough!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2010 at 12:36pm
Where in GA are you Bob? There are several of us scattered around the state. I am in Duluth and if you are close to me, I would be glad to take a look at it with you.
Greg

86 BFN
bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2010 at 4:03pm
I think I'm going to fix the pipes, button it all back up and ride it for the summer - don't want to be without boat. This sounds like a good winter project. I've had the boat for 12 years and will try to post pictures soon. We boat on Lake Harding near Columbus. Thanks for everyone's input!

Bob
68 Barracuda
S/N BARR 2011
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic