Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surging!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surging!
    Posted: May-26-2010 at 10:00pm
Well everything was running fine. Now I have a few problems.

When you gas it, it hesitates. Also if you give it gas and bring it back to neutral you can tell it is close to stalling. anything to do with idle mixture screws?

When under WOT it will go from 4400 to about 3100 and then surge. if you lower the throttle, it will lower the rpm and continue to surge. then if you bring it back to WOT it will go up a bit and do the surging.

Anything to do with vent tube? my tanks tube does not run to the outside of the boat. It comes out an inch or so and ends.

I have the timing set correctly at 10 degrees BTDC.

Fresh 93 octane fuel. I always add bottle of fuel treatment and carb/injector cleaner stuff from the station at fill up.

Fresh screw on fuel filter. the line for a majority of the length is copper.

I have a harbor freight vacuum gauge on screwed into the manifold while I'm running it, problem?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Anything to do with vent tube? my tanks tube does not run to the outside of the boat. It comes out an inch or so and ends.

Letting gas fumes vent into your bilge is a bad bad situation. Don't go boating again until this is fixed.    You are lucky to be alive!    Get that vent run to the outside of the hull.    Drill a new hole & run the hose out if you have no other option.

Can't help with the surging, although it does sound like a carb problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:57am
Surging is a fuel delivery problem. Likely a restriction in the fuel pickup plumbing.

Don't let it persist, the lean condition can cause serious damage.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:30am
Nothing to do with idle mixture screw right? I had to lean them out since I had quite a smokey exhaust. they are less than 5 turns out. Common sense tells me Idle mixture deals only with idle but hey I might be wrong.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 10:21am

Nothing to do with idle mixture screw right? I had to lean them out since I had quite a smokey exhaust. they are less than 5 turns out. Common sense tells me Idle mixture deals only with idle but hey I might be wrong.

Nothing to do with your idle mixture screws but if you have them 5 turns out your way off base. Screw them both closed (righty tighty)until they gently seat(don't tighten them) then unscrew (lefty loosy) 1.5 turns and leave them alone until you find your fuel delivery problem.

I would have to ask Chris (79) or Tom (Gottaski)if either ever gets a chance to write a step by step carb tuning post so we can make a sticky of it. We see the same question weekly all over the forum so it would be very useful.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:38pm
I did set them by going 1.5 turns out, then adjusting. I didn't remember exactly what they were at for reference, but I knew they were less than 5. But none if that relates to the surging I suppose.

So, the carb isn't getting enough fuel. Why doesent it just run that way all the time instead of surging? I mean it seems that if something was stuck in the tank pickup, it would be starved of fuel continuously until it went through to the filter, and would just run continuously bogged out?

Where should I begin looking? Can it be said the problem is not the carburetor for sure and I have to look at what's before it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:51pm

Where should I begin looking? Can it be said the problem is not the carburetor for sure and I have to look at what's before it?

Look at any place there could be a restriction, ie: anti siphon valve, fuel filter/water separator, the brass screen on the carb inlet. You've done a lot of work on that boat recently and you may have jarred some crud lose that was sitting in your tank.

Report back, we'll have you running before first snow fall.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:00pm
two problems,

first stumble, adjust the accell pump until you get a steady stream from the get go, this can be done without the engine on, also it might require a new accel pump in the carb, but asjust first if you can't get a full stream for the full stroke, then replace.

the next issue is fuel delivery.

Bad fuel pump, or anti-shipon valve, but just get a new pump and I bet that fixes the problem, Fix the vent correctly too, has nothing to do with it unless it's clogged.

So fuel pump, test with gauge to verify bad 5.5 lbs min.

Clean antishipon valve,

make sure vent is clear and connect to the outside.

If fuel pressure is good, valve is clean and vent is clear and you still have the problem, raise the float.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:05pm

Why doesent it just run that way all the time instead of surging? I mean it seems that if something was stuck in the tank pickup, it would be starved of fuel continuously until it went through to the filter, and would just run continuously bogged out?

Your thinking too much. You have the answers, now its time to take it apart.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:50pm
Alright sounds good. Now how do I check the accl pump and adjust?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:02pm
disconnect the throttle cable at the carb, remove flame arrestor, move throtle arm on carb slowly as your looking down the primary barrels, look for a stream of gas in the center of each barrel in the front (primary). the stream should start almost as soon as the throttle is moved and continue for the full stroke. If it doesn't just in front of the throtle lever there is a nut below the accel pump diaphram adjust that until you get a steady stream for the entire stroke of the throtle. If you cannot get that then the pump is bad and needs replaced.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 8:05pm
I'm guessing its either the anti siphon valve being plugged, or the fuel pump.

Even if the accel pump was bad, it wouldn't go from 4k to 3k with no change in throttle.

Now a bad fuel pump could do it too, but start with the cheap (actually free0 check of cleaning the anti siphon valve. Now the vent line, well that really is important.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 9:04pm
Anti siphon valve, don't think my tank has one. Just the vent line and the fuel fill. Unless I don't know what an anti siphon valve is
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:45am
The anti siphon valve is right where the fuel line is attached to at the top of the fuel tank. it's brass,and threads into the fitting on the tank.

Many people, including myself have chased their tail by not checking this. Had I known there was one, and that they get clogged from time to time, I would have saved myself a lot of work,time, and money.

Granted if I just fixed that, I would only have 240 hp and not 300+hp like I do now.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 11:56am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I'm guessing its either the anti siphon valve being plugged, or the fuel pump.

Even if the accel pump was bad, it wouldn't go from 4k to 3k with no change in throttle.

Now a bad fuel pump could do it too, but start with the cheap (actually free0 check of cleaning the anti siphon valve. Now the vent line, well that really is important.

I think you missed a few points.

When you gas it, it hesitates. Also if you give it gas and bring it back to neutral you can tell it is close to stalling. anything to do with idle mixture screws

This is why the accel pump has to be checked and what the fuel pump cannot cause.

The other issue is a fuel delivery issue and the fuel pump and anti-shipon valve and vent come into play.

keep guessing because the odds of it being the pump or anti-shipon are long compared to a low float, but the basics have to be checked first mechanics 101.

The kicker is that it pretty much tops out and then has issues, thus a low float and no fuel in the primary bowl causing it.

If the fuel pump or anti-shipon valve where the issue, it would never get to max RPM and crap out in the 3500 rpm range.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 12:40pm

That just screws onto an elbow. I really don't think mine has any valve. When I did this boat, I left the original 12 gallon tank in there with these copper lines.

I adjusted the accl. pump by tightening the nut. Is that the direction to adjust if you don't think your getting a constant stream?

Yesterday while I was out fooling with it, It bogged down till stall and ended with a little backfire of sorts. Started back up afterwords however.

Now to test the fuel pump, I have a harborfreight fuel pump/vacuum tester. Can I just screw directly into the top of the fuel pump and crank it over? I can't just splice in with it being a metal line.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

The kicker is that it pretty much tops out and then has issues, thus a low float and no fuel in the primary bowl causing it.

If the fuel pump or anti-shipon valve where the issue, it would never get to max RPM and crap out in the 3500 rpm range.

Check float level now? It will run strong up to WOT and then give it a few seconds and it starts getting screwy. lower the throttle a bit and still screwy. However last night I cruised around the lake at about 2000 or a little over plane and it ran fine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Check float level now?

Sorry if I sound sarcastic but yes check the float level now, you're getting advice from a pretty good source so oblige and do what he says.

Next time you're going to sit down and bake a cake here's a little reading for you to familiarize yourself with Holley carbs

There are also tons of articles on holley carbs all over the web so take a few minutes and do a quick search, it will be worth your time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:12pm
No it wasn't sarcastic at all. I trust the source believe me.

I'll get reading, unfortunately no cake in the oven.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:23pm

No it wasn't sarcastic at all. I trust the source believe me.

I'll get reading, unfortunately no cake in the oven.

Good, you show promise grasshopper.

Float adjustment, remove front bowl by loosening the four bowl screws, to prevent spilling fuel all over your intake remove one bottom screw fully and try to catch the fuel in a small cup then wipe any spill with a rag.

Remove the bowl, flip it upside down so you are looking at the float. Holding the bowl level, the float should sit level with the top(now bottom because your holding it upside down) if it's not level bend the tab connecting the float to the needle valve with a small pair of needle nose pliers until the float is level. Minor bend is all it should take.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:24pm
to check the fuel pressure either disconnect it at the pump out let and attach a hose barb fitting to attach the gauge to or just disconnect the line at the carb and slide the rubber fitting over the line and then check it that way which is typically the easy way to do it. you only need to crank it over for 10-15 seconds to get a reading. I can't see pictures when I'm here at work they get filtered out 95% of the time so excuse me put I can't help you out based on the type of gauge you bought that I assumed you posted.

Regarding the float, check the fuel pressure first, but I feel the float is most likely the issue, but again you have to check the basics first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:51pm
Seems pretty level. Do I need to bend it down to make it a bit more level?

Unfortunate I broke the gasket. I assume no napa or anyone would have something like this on hand, so it will be a few days before I can try this out. Now when I pulled it apart, it came a little violently. What does that little brown arm attach to. Am I missing anything in these pictures? I don't see that I lost anything but carb parts are pretty small to spot on top of the engine or elsewhere around the boat.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 1:55pm
It may be the camera angle but it looks a little low to me, I would bend it just a tad more. The little brown piece is fine. Any Napa should have your bowl gasket or can get it from the warehouse pretty quickly. Ask for the blue reusable ones. Also make sure you have the little gaskets on the four bowl screws in place when you put it back together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:07pm
Alright, I shall see what I can find at napa. So just leave the brown arm hanging when I put it all back together. The thing looks like it has a purpose, but hey I have seen plenty of pointless engineering.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:08pm
I didn't see the second photo when I replied the first time. That little brown piece is your metering body vent baffle and it will slip right over the casting boss/pin. It just fell off when you pulled the bowl so yes put it back on the pins.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:35pm
That float does look a tad tow to me as well. The angle of the pic actually makes it look close to level, but if you were to have the bowl completely level in the picture, the float would look even more "low".

Now that copper/ brown piece I am pretty sure just goes to the other "pin" just on the other side of the center that the one side is hanging from.

Absolutely napa or other places will have that gasket in stock, and make sure to get the blue ones because those won't stick, and you can reuse them without worrying of them breaking like the original type.

If that is a 4 barrel with a transfer tube and single fuel inlet, then you will want to buy a couple o rings for the transfer tube while you are at the store. I would get a new accelerator pump diaphragm as well since you are in there and the front bowl is off.

79, yeah, i did miss a little bit there, but I can say from my own personal experience that as the anti siphon valve gets clogged, it will allow it to rev even at full throttle for a while, then it will just shut off after the restriction doesn't allow the pump to get enough fuel to the bowls.

On mine, it progressively got worse and worse after a couple of seasons.
when I first got my boat I could go slaloming with no issues. Then the duration it went before acting like it was running out of gas got shorter and shorter. Slower rpm cruising like wakeboarding never gave the motor an issue because the restriction was not enough to go over the amount of fuel demand that was needed for 2100 rpm. eventually that rpm limit and duration of time before it "ran out of gas" got lower and shorter. I figure that was due to more crap getting stuck int he anti siphon valve and it ended up building up a blockage too much to get gas past for more than idling. There were a bunch of bees/ wasps in my anti siphon valve from many years of it never being cleaned. A lower psi pumping fuel pump probably contributed tot he lack of gas delivery too, and I bet the old pump may be needing rebuilding because it wasn't able to get gas into it all the time. I'm guessing no gas in the line won't do anything to help a fuel pump's longevity.

Whitelake, you may not have an anti siphon valve, I don't know when that safety measure was added as a factory thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 4:11pm
Just checked the fuel pump. Not sure how accurate the harbor freight tool is, but it read 4 psi. Low I assume? I got the same reading with the screw on filter and without it. It took a bit of looking to find the right gasket at napa, and they wont have it till tomorrow anyways. Not sure if it is the reusable kind, I felt lucky enough to even find it. The catalog he had didnt even have model 4160 in it, closest they had was 4161. Seemed shady but I could tell from the pictures it was the same gasket.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 4:22pm
if you have an O'reilley's or Advance parts store they sould carry them too.

new fuel pump marine. Not sure but some model fuel pumps are rebuildable others are disposible.

get a new fuel pump, leave the float alone for now, no sence in creating another problem, now if you have moved it all ready leave it for now amd we'll see what happens.

but get the new fuel pump installed, reset the idle mixture screws using a vaccum gauge attached to the port for the PCV, engine warmed up and then check base idle while in gear adjust accordingly. Double check your accel pump it should start squirting fluid almost immediately the throttle lever is moved, adjust the nut until it does, if it does seems to help and looks worse then turn it the other way until you get the full stream for the entire stroke of the throttle.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 5:32pm
Take the entire tank/dip tube assembly apart. I've found clogged cone screens sandwiched between the fittings, mastercrafts have a flexible hose in the tank with a spiral spring that catches and clogs with debris.
There's more out there that can inhibit gas flow than the absent AS valve.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 5:51pm
This isn't a Mastercrap. Just stupid stickers were all over it from the PO. Couldn't I check this by running the engine off a separate tank? I'm not sure how this thing sucks up fuel, but it can't be too complicated. It would be a real pita to get the tank out again and take it out. For sure an idea I'll have to look into though if it runs well off a separate tank.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic