Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in the bildge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in the bildge
    Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:11pm
Every time I get back to the dock there is water in the bilge? What could be causing it? I do see water coming out of the drivers side manifold as the engine is running. Sorry if I this is a stupid question, but is the water in the bilge the result of this leak? The mechanic said not to worry about this leak, that it did not matter. I am not so sure I trust his skill level though. Oh yea, 1984 SN 2001.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:35pm
If one of your manifolds is leaking, then yeah, that is probably where most of the water is coming from.

The packing seals for the drive shaft and rudder will drip a little , but only like one drop a minute if it is adjusted properly.

Where is the water coming from? If it's coming from the junction between the head and the manifold, then get a new exhaust gasket. if it is coming form the joint between the manifold and the riser, then you need one of those gaskets.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:45pm
I need to look to be sure. I have seen it leaking under the starboard side manifold, but not like it is spraying out like a hose.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:21pm
So it appears you need a new elbow for the starboard side, and on the port side a new riser gasket.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:44pm
up looks like you a have a crack on hte riser..as longs as the crack is on the water passage to the outer shell it will only leak to the outside..but if the crack is also to the exhaust passage water will make it to the engine...

this is a picture of the inside of a riser, the big rectagle in hte middle is the exhaust..the little ports sorroundig it are the water passages....in you case the crack is to the outside...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:48pm
kapla, great photo. that helps me understand how it works. I don't think I have seen any cracks, just looks like the bolts were loose at one time or they gasket is not very good. I will check with the engine running and look for leaks. I should have paid more attention, but I am new to boating.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 1:25am
I think kapla makes mention of a possible crack int he port riser because of the rust/ water stain on it. To double check, obviously look really well at it, and also clean off the riser to se if the stains don't come back after you get new gaskets on it.

You might get lucky and only need to tighten the bolts that hold the riser and manifold together. try that first and clean the manifolds off then run the boat and look for new stains.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 10:20am
i will clean the mating surfaces on a bench top belt sander, it works very well to get a nice clean straight surface
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 1:04pm
when water leaks it does not leak upward, the riser is cracked replace it or you can replace the engine later your choice.

adjust and/or replace the packing flax for both stuffing boxes.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 7:55pm
Thats that crack in the circle...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 8:00pm
Would water be spraying from the crack? This spot is where the engine cover rubs against the manifold. Same mark on both sides, but I have never noticed water leaking from that spot before?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic