Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source of water

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source of water
    Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:53am
I am getting water in the bilge. Before I leave the dock I pull the plug so no water. When the motor is running there is a tiny amount of water coming from port side elbow at the front of the manifold and a drip on one of the freeze plugs. You can see that the freeze plug has been dripping for a while as there is rust streaks. When I get back to dock after a ride there is a good three inches of water in the bilge. The bilge pump does not turn on when I flip the switch? It ran a few weeks ago and then all the sudden no sound came from it. So two questions, what to do about the leak and the bilge pump. Thanks, Mark
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 2:56am
Link

I'd start by re-sealing EVERY piece of underwater hardware.
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Link

DrCC,

Can you elaborate for those of us who have never re-sealed below the waterline?
1989 Sport Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 3:50pm
Sure, It's pretty basic and simple.

Remove the hardware, clean off all the old sealant, re-place in the same direction that it was, with a generous coating of 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant. Clean up drips and mess with Mineral Spirits. Let it cure for at least 48 hours.

AT
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Link

Maybe fixing the current known leaks would be a better starting point before you go and create more leaks resealing something that doesn't need to be resealed in the first place?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:31pm
Can the freeze plug be sealed with the engine in the boat? Is this one of the items you are talking about sealing? Also, those plastic elbows look like they would be brittle as old as they are. Why did they not use Brass? Are there replacements available in Brass?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:33pm
You are talking to a newbie here. What do you mean by underwater hardware? Obviously it is underwater, but what parts/pieces to be exact. Thanks.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 4:53pm
Drain plug fitting
Water pick-up fitting
All 3 Fins
Strut
Rudder Log
Exhaust Flanges
Platform Brackets
Pitots

I don't believe a small manifold crack would produce 3 inches of water in the bilge in a short time.

I suspect leaking Exhaust Flanges and possibly Rudder Log.

Even a missing Pitot screw will sink a boat over night.

AT
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:00pm
Run the boat without the Motor Box and rear center floor section.
Have someone else Drive while you watch for water.

AT

edit: Remove the rear panel also.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:04pm
fix the known leaks correctly, yes they make brass fittings to replace the plastic ones. Secondly replace the packing material in both packing glands and adjust them correctly, the most likely source of water in the bilge BTW.

Leave the underwater gear alone your just asking for problems jacking with them until you know for a fact one of them is leaking, right now it's some ones hair brained idea it's the problem. All you have to do to check them is let it float in the water and look.

regarding the bilge it might need replaced or the fuse might be blown verify you have voltage at the pump and then go from there, if you have voltage then replace the pump, if no voltage look for a blown fuse, disconnected wire, bad switch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:06pm
I do not see any water coming from the manifolds, only the elbow. does the rear floor section just lift out? I did not know it came up. So basically, remove rear seats, rear panel that covers the gas tank, rear floor and engine cover. drive it and look for leaks? also, how do you test a bilge pump? Mine quit working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

fix the known leaks correctly, yes they make brass fittings to replace the plastic ones. Secondly replace the packing material in both packing glands and adjust them correctly, the most likely source of water in the bilge BTW.

Leave the underwater gear alone your just asking for problems jacking with them until you know for a fact one of them is leaking, right now it's some ones hair brained idea it's the problem. All you have to do to check them is let it float in the water and look.

regarding the bilge it might need replaced or the fuse might be blown verify you have voltage at the pump and then go from there, if you have voltage then replace the pump, if no voltage look for a blown fuse, disconnected wire, bad switch.

79nautique,

1. where do I get brass elbows to replace the plastic?

2. what are packing glands and where do i get packing gland materail?

3. bilge dash fuse is good. is there another fuse? worked fine for short while. pump does not look too old? i will test for current at pump.

go easy, like i said, i am learning. thanks for the help. Mark
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:18pm
Mark
About 2 its reffering on the rope packing or seal of the shaft log (hole were the drive shaft exits the hull) and the rudder port...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:30pm
Well, you need to really get the bilge pump working.    Maybe there is a short in the wiring (fuse possibly?), or maybe you actually need a new bilge pump.

As far as the other known 2 leaks, yes, fix those first, along with the bilge pump.

The manifold elbow should be readily available in brass. I have plastic ones on my 78, and mine are holding up perfectly, but if I were to replace them, it probably would be in brass as well. Check at a hardware store, otherwise any marine/ boat shop should have or be able to get them.
Mcmaster Carr always has everything you could need for fittings as well.

The freeze plug, is it in plain view? You might be able to stop the leak from that with some silicone, but ideally you should replace the plug.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

The freeze plug, is it in plain view? You might be able to stop the leak from that with some silicone, but ideally you should replace the plug.

Tom,
You have got to be joking! So, just glop some silicone around the plug and the leak stops???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:40pm
Yes the freeze plug is visible. It is on the side, can't remember which one and about the size of quarter to half dollar.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
You have got to be joking! So, just glop some silicone around the plug at the leak stops???

yea a lot of hairbrained idea's out of this mind most of the time.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:04pm
I knew that would get a rise out of you two.

How predicatable. LOL

fwiw, I would simply replace the freeze plug.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:12pm

I knew that would get a rise out of you two.

How predicatable. LOL

fwiw, I would simply replace the freeze plug.

Of course you got a "rise" out of us because we don't want bad advice being handed out in this forum. You don't understand that there are people here that would try this half a$$ed idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:17pm
It's the old "marina " trick again.   
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 6:36pm
Mark, if the in water test does not provide results you can fill the bilge with water from a hose while on the trailer and see where it leaks. I recently had a delamination problem that brought water from the shaft log to a weep hole in the stringer. I found the weephole side on the lake and the shaft log entrance on the trailer. Hope yours is an easier problem. Check the bilge pump for crud jambing up the impeller and then use electric meter to confirm power to pump before you replace it. Also be sure there are not wire connections shorting out when the bilge water level rises.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:03pm
I think that is what happened to the pump, it got full of water and then quit working. So maybe shorted out? Is there a temp fuse or is it fried? I never thought about filling the boat with water, that is a good idea. Boat is on a lift at boat dock but should be able to see the leak if full of water. Yes you have to watch what you say, there are plenty of jack leg mechanics who would actually try the silicon treatment. I have seen and read some crazy things that JB weld is used for. thanks for the help?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:48pm
I would not recommend filling the boat with water.
In David's case it did not take very much to show a leak.

In your case, If it's leaking where I suspect you would have water over the floor before any leak will show. Thus causing more problems.

Like '79   Concentrate on your engine leaks first. Then bilge pump.   Then underwater hardware.

AT
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 11:32pm
Should have been more specific. Water put in the boat would be a small amount to check through hull fittings like the rudder plate. for my leak I started with the shaft seal, rudder seal and then traced the water intake system and exhaust, all of which can be checked in the water with engine cover and rear floor removed.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:53am
ten bucks it's the packing glands and all he has to do is pull the drain, let it dry out, intall the drain plug and lower into water and watch where the water leaks. This is almost comical some of the BS do this don't do that, please this is so simple to figure out it almost not worth commenting on, especially with all the shade tree clowns commenting.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:25pm
Okay here is what you need to do. Buy 1000 highlighter pens, a blacklight, silicone, and a squirt gun. Take the fluorescent ink capsules out of all of the pens and throw them in the lake. This will dye your lake water with the fluorescent ink. Make sure you do this right before night time. Now... put the blacklight in the boat. Look carefully for the bright leak! Now take your squirt gun filled with silicone and quickly blast the area to seal it all up. You'll be good to go for another 1 or 2 days.   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:38pm
79 and DrCC, thanks for the straight talk and help. Still need a recommendation where to buy the Brass elbows and packing gland materials?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:45pm
I would think any hardware store will have the elbows, heck even the big box stores probably do.

You can buy the packing gland material (rope) from about any marine supplier.

Here is an example, just because I could find it quickly...but there are many sources.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Still need a recommendation where to buy the Brass elbows and packing gland materials?

Mcmaster Carr as mentioend before, DIM, and hardware stores willl all have the elbows.

Here is another place that has them
http://www.mycorrectcraftparts.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

They also have the packing too.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Okay here is what you need to do. Buy 1000 highlighter pens, a blacklight, silicone, and a squirt gun. Take the fluorescent ink capsules out of all of the pens and throw them in the lake. This will dye your lake water with the fluorescent ink. Make sure you do this right before night time. Now... put the blacklight in the boat. Look carefully for the bright leak! Now take your squirt gun filled with silicone and quickly blast the area to seal it all up. You'll be good to go for another 1 or 2 days.   

be sure to get the water friendly ink..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic