NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source of water

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Source of water
    Posted: August-03-2010 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ErikM ErikM wrote:

are the pulsation dampeners hollow?

Yes, just a empty piece of tubing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ErikM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:38am
are the pulsation dampeners hollow?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 3:57pm
I am so glad that I did not throw anything away. Even my broken dampener. While I may not get the speedo hooked up right away I am going to put the hardware back. Thanks Pete for pushing the "Keep it original" mentality. I might have discarded some precious gems if not for that advice.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 9:47am
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

How about these? Says it is new flow thru style.

Pitot from Discount Inboard

Mark,
Those are the ones you need to use since as mentioned the originals aren't made anymore. The two mounting holes need to be elongated slightly to match the old holes. I would also use the 3rd hole in the new units. Don't forget the 5200!!!

Yes, the old tubing is usually under the foam. Just abandon it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 2:25am
I spent some time today looking at the pitots and tubing. The tubing has been encased in spray foam by the factory so not sure about removing the old stuff. Looks to me like it would have to be abandoned and new tubing ran however I can get it to the front. The original pitot's only have two screws and differ from what I have seen for sale.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:12am
Cannot help with the new pitots but the tubing on my 87 runs about 4" inside of the transom and then connects to the bottom of the dampeners previously mentioned . The tubing then runs off the top of the dampeners to the speedos.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:04am
How about these? Says it is new flow thru style.

Pitot from Discount Inboard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:01am
So one Pitot is definitely broken, which means they both will be replaced. But who sells ones like the OEM? The couple of places on the web I looked at seem to be different looking than what is on there now. Does the tubing make a home run to the back of the speedo or are there connections in between?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:19am
That is the pitot, if the tubing is that bad outside it is likely shot insided, you can pick it up at a marine store or skidim and other sources will have it online. After you remove the chrome trim from the outside where the tubing goes through the hull you will probably have to drill the tubing out of the hull then seal the new stuff in with 5200 before you replace the trim piece. pulling the gas tank will make the job much easier. your discription of the nipple and nut iws correct, if the nipple is broken off in the tubing then new pitots are in order.The pitots also clog , blow them out while your back there.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:34am
Well while swimming today I reached up and touched the Port side tubing where it attaches to the pttot at the back of the boat and it broke off in my hands. And this was the side that actually worked. So now I have no speedo's. Do the pitot's ever go bad or just the tubing? Not sure how it should have looked before the tubing came off, but I assume there was a nipple that stuck out and the tubing attached to it with the nut. I just need to know what all I need to buy to replace all the old crap so it is 100% new. I am not even sure if the part at the back of the boat is actually the pitot, but I figure it must be. Looks like a dagger sticking into the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Does the tubing ever rot?

It dries out and gets brittle then doesn't fit very well at the fittings. I changed all of the pitot tubing on my 77 a couple years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:18pm
Does the tubing ever rot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 4:15am
Very hard to see the dampeners without pulling the tank, but you can feel the speedo tubing where it enters the inside of the boat and see if it it wet when in the water , and when underway. If this is a source of water you will have to pull the gas tank. Dampeners are copper tubes that can fill with water if their is a leak in the speedo tubing between them and the guage. They then freeze and crack in the winter. They can be soldered to repair splits.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 9:09am
The speedo pitot tubing and pulsation dampners were mentioned earlier in the thread. Check them out. You'll need to be underway to do this. Any leak and you'll get a fair amount of water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Holes not sealed around speedo tubing where it exits for the pitot tubes. Cracked speedo lines or dampeners. Do your speedos work? might be a clue. You will probably have to pull the tank to find it and fix it.

No one of my speedo's does not work. As a matter of fact, the starboard side speedo does not work and that is where the leak is. Some of the nut/ferrals sp? for the tubing were very loose at the back of the speedo and other locations. Tell me what and where to look. This is a good boat, but definitely has not had any attention spent on it in a long time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:39am
Holes not sealed around speedo tubing where it exits for the pitot tubes. Cracked speedo lines or dampeners. Do your speedos work? might be a clue. You will probably have to pull the tank to find it and fix it.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:01am
Well I found one of the leaks. The port side muffler was cracked. Did a fiberglass repair to it and that is now corrected. But I still have water coming in at other locations. One I can see, the rudder has a slow drip. The other source I cannot see. It is coming from the starboard rear under the gas tank. Maybe the bolts that hold the ski platform? What else could it be in that location? At least I have an operational bilge pump now so I feel better about taking on water. The water is leaking down from the rear and trickling along the path of the muffler and then though the little hole to the center of the bilge. I am sure it is not the muffler this time, it is dry. Leak is definitely coming from farther back. Also not around the muffler exit, it too it dry. Just can't see back in the corner very well, but water appears to be trickling from under the gas tank corner of the boat area. Any help would be appreciated.
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:35pm
I have noticed that more ofter than usual the bilge goes on. so I did empty all the water out, dryed up the bildge area and the looked for water. i found it comming up just forward of the ski pylon under the deck . it was not comming in fast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 9:43am
Daniel,
Where else have you looked for water coming in? How much water is there? Are you sure this water isn't just water in the bilge going forward and then aft again when you accelerate?
If the boat is on a lift, the bilge area by the skegs may be the low point but it depends on how the lift/bunks were set up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 1:28am
so does that mean this is not the source of the leak?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

The fins are through bolted and should be pretty easy to seal up using Pete's described method above. 5200 is amazing stuff. I applied it to the top of the fin that makes contact with the hull and even put some topside under the washers just for good measure and because the tube seems to last forever. Good luck!

not in this year model....they are only screwed to the fiberglas hull not throuhg bolted..this is safety feature...if you hit something with them they will come off producing little or no damage or holes to the hull..If through bolted in a hit (mayor) they will come of with a chunk of the hull and surely a big hole there....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:59pm
Also I tried to upload a picture of where i think the water is coming from but it did not work. how do i upload it
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:57pm
I'm not sure i see the "top side" bolts    where are they?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

The fins are through bolted and should be pretty easy to seal up using Pete's described method above. 5200 is amazing stuff. I applied it to the top of the fin that makes contact with the hull and even put some topside under the washers just for good measure and because the tube seems to last forever. Good luck!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 10:53pm
Daniel,
If there was a problem with the skegs and you see evidence of a attempted reseal that didn't work, I'd have to say to was just a "slop on some silicone"    from the outside job. Remove the skegs and grind/sand off any remnants of sealer. Clean the surfaces up with some acetone or other strong solvent and then bed them back down with some 5200. The screws should go directly into glass. (use some 5200 on them as well)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 10:28pm
Hi All

I have a 95SN its my second summer as owner.

I also have water coming from an unidentified location . I followed the above threads ( great conversation) and have isolated it to somewhere from the 3 fins. The water seems to come up in the area in front of the ski rope pylon under the deck. See the picture.   I took the boat out of the water and checked the fins looks like it had been resealed before. what is the best procedure for this repair. If I unscrew the fins will I be able to screw them back easily? does the screw go into a receptacle or is it directly into the fiberglass. any advise would help. thanks

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 11:44am
water escapes from some point, obviuosly water flows up underpressure, put once it reaches the same height as the pressure head, then it flows down hill or stops if it's still trapped or leaks out if it is allowed to escape an opening before it reaches the leveling point. So water leaking out of a crack has a starting point just like every leak does, so find where the water starts you find the leak, if it looks like it's coming straight out of the fiberglass then you have to probe around some, not rocket science, simple physics, fluid dynamics 101. Some just like to make it harder and dumber sometimes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Again water flows down hill not up hill so it really not that hard to trace it back to the source and use common scense and logic to solve the problem and find the leak.

One last shot. Mine Came in the shaft log and flowed out the stringer. Uphill in my book. You forgot to factor in pressure.

Sorry I Kind of hijacked this thread but my intended points were these.

1. I want a long list possible problems to look for, first so I do not go to the lake and find out it is not the shaft log and then return home for the next post only to return to the lake again to look at the rudder/through hull fittings ect. And also the more that is discussed the more I learn. I am not an idustry expert but hope to someday be a wise poobah with increased experience and the help of this site.

2.This is a discussion forum, why discourage discussion? If it offends you dont read it. Accurate advice is seldom backed up with reasoning, leaving little to work with when contemplating future situations , but bad advice leads to argeuing and explanations of reasoning and far greater learning potential.

3. I am just a user of this site and not in a position to judge others fitness to contribute. I can challange their input but not judge their worthiness to post. If I could make that judgment I would ban arrogent / discouraging members who put the poo in poobah. Good teachers have knowlege AND the ability to foster others to want to listen and learn.

4. The most common reason for water in the bilge is forgeting to put the plug in .

5. I can find the source of most water leaks in minutes. It is almost always the lake. Can I keep my boat?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Again water flows down hill not up hill so it really not that hard to trace it back to the source and use common scense and logic to solve the problem and find the leak.

Mine flowed from the shaftlog to the stringer when in the water. I believe that is uphill

Naw, That what happens with the Australian group. Or wait a minute, maybe it's something about their toilets??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 8:47pm

Mine flowed from the shaftlog to the stringer when in the water. I believe that is uphill I believe you forgotr to factor in pressure.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic