Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Source of water

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:01am
Well I found one of the leaks. The port side muffler was cracked. Did a fiberglass repair to it and that is now corrected. But I still have water coming in at other locations. One I can see, the rudder has a slow drip. The other source I cannot see. It is coming from the starboard rear under the gas tank. Maybe the bolts that hold the ski platform? What else could it be in that location? At least I have an operational bilge pump now so I feel better about taking on water. The water is leaking down from the rear and trickling along the path of the muffler and then though the little hole to the center of the bilge. I am sure it is not the muffler this time, it is dry. Leak is definitely coming from farther back. Also not around the muffler exit, it too it dry. Just can't see back in the corner very well, but water appears to be trickling from under the gas tank corner of the boat area. Any help would be appreciated.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 3:39am
Holes not sealed around speedo tubing where it exits for the pitot tubes. Cracked speedo lines or dampeners. Do your speedos work? might be a clue. You will probably have to pull the tank to find it and fix it.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Holes not sealed around speedo tubing where it exits for the pitot tubes. Cracked speedo lines or dampeners. Do your speedos work? might be a clue. You will probably have to pull the tank to find it and fix it.

No one of my speedo's does not work. As a matter of fact, the starboard side speedo does not work and that is where the leak is. Some of the nut/ferrals sp? for the tubing were very loose at the back of the speedo and other locations. Tell me what and where to look. This is a good boat, but definitely has not had any attention spent on it in a long time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 9:09am
The speedo pitot tubing and pulsation dampners were mentioned earlier in the thread. Check them out. You'll need to be underway to do this. Any leak and you'll get a fair amount of water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 4:15am
Very hard to see the dampeners without pulling the tank, but you can feel the speedo tubing where it enters the inside of the boat and see if it it wet when in the water , and when underway. If this is a source of water you will have to pull the gas tank. Dampeners are copper tubes that can fill with water if their is a leak in the speedo tubing between them and the guage. They then freeze and crack in the winter. They can be soldered to repair splits.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:18pm
Does the tubing ever rot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Does the tubing ever rot?

It dries out and gets brittle then doesn't fit very well at the fittings. I changed all of the pitot tubing on my 77 a couple years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:34am
Well while swimming today I reached up and touched the Port side tubing where it attaches to the pttot at the back of the boat and it broke off in my hands. And this was the side that actually worked. So now I have no speedo's. Do the pitot's ever go bad or just the tubing? Not sure how it should have looked before the tubing came off, but I assume there was a nipple that stuck out and the tubing attached to it with the nut. I just need to know what all I need to buy to replace all the old crap so it is 100% new. I am not even sure if the part at the back of the boat is actually the pitot, but I figure it must be. Looks like a dagger sticking into the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:19am
That is the pitot, if the tubing is that bad outside it is likely shot insided, you can pick it up at a marine store or skidim and other sources will have it online. After you remove the chrome trim from the outside where the tubing goes through the hull you will probably have to drill the tubing out of the hull then seal the new stuff in with 5200 before you replace the trim piece. pulling the gas tank will make the job much easier. your discription of the nipple and nut iws correct, if the nipple is broken off in the tubing then new pitots are in order.The pitots also clog , blow them out while your back there.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:01am
So one Pitot is definitely broken, which means they both will be replaced. But who sells ones like the OEM? The couple of places on the web I looked at seem to be different looking than what is on there now. Does the tubing make a home run to the back of the speedo or are there connections in between?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:04am
How about these? Says it is new flow thru style.

Pitot from Discount Inboard
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:12am
Cannot help with the new pitots but the tubing on my 87 runs about 4" inside of the transom and then connects to the bottom of the dampeners previously mentioned . The tubing then runs off the top of the dampeners to the speedos.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 2:25am
I spent some time today looking at the pitots and tubing. The tubing has been encased in spray foam by the factory so not sure about removing the old stuff. Looks to me like it would have to be abandoned and new tubing ran however I can get it to the front. The original pitot's only have two screws and differ from what I have seen for sale.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 9:47am
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

How about these? Says it is new flow thru style.

Pitot from Discount Inboard

Mark,
Those are the ones you need to use since as mentioned the originals aren't made anymore. The two mounting holes need to be elongated slightly to match the old holes. I would also use the 3rd hole in the new units. Don't forget the 5200!!!

Yes, the old tubing is usually under the foam. Just abandon it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 3:57pm
I am so glad that I did not throw anything away. Even my broken dampener. While I may not get the speedo hooked up right away I am going to put the hardware back. Thanks Pete for pushing the "Keep it original" mentality. I might have discarded some precious gems if not for that advice.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
ErikM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:38am
are the pulsation dampeners hollow?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ErikM ErikM wrote:

are the pulsation dampeners hollow?

Yes, just a empty piece of tubing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic