NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sourcing a 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

That's what she said.

David,
Sorry but I'm not picking up the meaning of your comment.

I´m lost here also. I bet is something related with billy´s coment on karen´s boat "diet"...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

I´m lost here also.

At least you have a pretty good excuse...Pete, not so much.    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

2 inch Peter?

Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

C'mon, really? "2 inches is a lot to compensate for"....That's what she... Nevermind.

Ok!! My mind must have been elsewhere!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:14pm
That is now my new signature line!!!

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:30pm
gotcha!!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

That is now my new signature line!!!

LOL   

Donald
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:49pm
The 2 inch comment was in reference to the added width of a 302 vs a 351. The 302 engine cover will be a bit narrow to close if a 351 is used........size and diameter do matter.......
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 12:01am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

The 2 inch comment was in reference to the added width ........size and diameter do matter.......

Medical science is amazing!!! I didn't know you older guy's are having these things done. To bad these procedures weren't available while it still worked.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 12:21am
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

So what about upgrading to a 350 and modding that? Same weight as a 302

negative
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 2:38am
So what are people doing to there 302s?

gt40 heads or aluminum?

What's the best intake?

I see research cam tossed around a lot on here, what one exactly are people using?

Change to roller rockers from hydraulic?

I also hear about the HiTek exhaust manifolds, where is everyone getting them?

I know one guy on my lake with trying to get his malibu into the 50's. He has an electric rwp. Worth it?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 2:55am
I do hope you are joking...If not feeding frenzy..........Why does the link not work to this custom CC American Skier, I wanna see it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 3:21am
Well I would like to know what to do first, last. How much. Winter is coming, need to collect parts for that rainy spring day. I also seem to have my engine anatomy a little screwy, you don't bore out heads duhh

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 11:04am
Nice Boat!!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 2:23pm
What are the two circular things on the transom?

How do you like the shifter for skiing?

Did you "flip" the windshield?

I do like the engine color.    Is it a "Hammered" finish?

AT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 3:28pm
The circular things in the back are the exhaust, sounds real nice. Not obnoxious loud.

The shifter is fine for skiing, it's never posed a problem or been kicked out of gear. It's a classic touch even though the engine has normal shift cables. The paint is actually copper grill paint. Sorta metallic. I thought it was a unique color. I'll probably go blue next time I pull it.

The windshield is a stars and stripes one. Came with the boat.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 4:28pm
I would be way too tempted to spray sunbathers with exhaust water while starting the engine.

I would like to see how you routed the exhaust hose around the fuel tank.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 4:38pm
Michael,
I don't feel the high exit point of the exhaust was a very good idea at all. There's a reason straight inboads have low exhausts. They won't trap very much water. Now you have two big toilet traps on the boat. Getting the water out relies totally on exhaust pressure for the engine. Quite restrictive and may even burn exhaust valves! What was the idea? A Donzi CC??

High mounted aft engines exhausts never dip low into the bilge to create a water trap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 5:29pm
I kinda kike the custom touches to your boat. Loud pipes, suicide shifter. Put some leather tassels on the steering wheel and call it a harley dresser on water!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 7:26pm
Thanks!. Yea I'll relocate the exhaust some time. Sounds mean though!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Thanks!. Yea I'll relocate the exhaust some time. Sounds mean though!

it will sound exactly the same when located properly and under power, at idle or nowake speeds it will be quit.

Before you enevn concider engine mods you have to correct your mistake otherwise you will trash the new motor when you suck back water into the cylinders since a good amunt of water will always be in the exhaust hose waiting to be sucked back in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 10:35pm
how would you fill the two exhaust holes left by the old holes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 10:56pm
Michael,
You'll need to add several layers of glass and resin to the inside of the transom. Fill the holes with a filled resin mix. Fair and then I suggest regelling the complete transom. I suggest using a aerosol from   Minicraft of Florida So you don't need to screw with a spray gun. Get their color wheel and find a close standard color of white. Blended at the hull side to transom corner and transom to hull bottom. A slight color mismatch won't be noticed. I see they now have a color wheel with all "off whites" which should be perfect for your white hull. White is a difficult color to match!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2010 at 11:31pm
Sounds good pete. What do you mean by filled resin mix?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic