NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 26>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:37am
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:30am
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 7:23am
Wow, awsome!! Way to go.

Ok, let's be honest, you like going under bridges just like I do 'cause you like to hear the sound of that engine echoing off the concrete? I do the same thing.

Did not see any or no porpoising(sp.?) or bouncing to speek off which is good. With mine, you have to have everything balanced just right and not too much chop on the water to ride perfect. The sounds are just like my boat. It's three in the morning and that makes me want to go put mine in for a ride at daybreak just to hear the motor?

Hope you brought lifejackets

Scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 11:49am
Congratulations!

Frankt
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Wow, awsome!! Way to go.

Ok, let's be honest, you like going under bridges just like I do 'cause you like to hear the sound of that engine echoing off the concrete? I do the same thing.

Hope you brought lifejackets

Scott

I always like to drop into neutral and rev her up a few times under the bridge. The sound is very gratifying. I sort of thought Marty was bringing his boat so I only grabbed one life jacket, and forgot to bring a dock line. Oh yeah and did I mention we ran out of gas!!!! I was so excited I had my head up my...

I wish I had my seats so I could take the little ones out today. They have been waiting for so long.

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

Scott

I always like to drop into neutral and rev her up a few times under the bridge. The sound is very gratifying.

A true air horn sounds pretty good under a bridge too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A true air horn sounds pretty good under a bridge too!!

See now that touches a nerve there. The PO "threw away" the original air horn and ring and finger when he moved. Actually 2 PO's ago. He kept telling the PO to come get them whenever and he never did so after a move he tossed the stuff. I told him he was an idiot, retard, ahole, dumbas, fool and worst of all he tossed about $500 into the freaking trash!

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:07pm
Keegan....just catching up on your thread. Looks great. I'll check out the videos tonight when I'm off company network...damn filters...LOL!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 4:07pm
Congrats Keegan !!!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 4:20pm
Thanks guys! It was a real treat to be on the lake yesterday in my own boat. Having Marty there was bonus as he was able to inspect things while under way.

There is no way I could have done this project without all the help from the CCF community. I look forward to meeting more of you.

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 8:02pm
Keegan,
Just now was my first look at the two recent youtubes you posted. I can tell you're big time torqued and you should be!!

In viewing the "reverse" clip, I'm a little concerned about the "squeal" I heard. The problem may be coupled with the "dirty neutral" I also saw. (trans is engaging the reverse clutch pack while the forward pack is dragging). I hope Eric takes a look at the clip as well as I'm sure he'd have some comments.

But, the bottom line is it's on the water and the engine sure sounds fantastic!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
Just now was my first look at the two recent youtubes you posted. I can tell you're big time torqued and you should be!!

viewing the "reverse" clip, I'm a little concerned about the "squeal" "dirty neutral"

You can tell I am a little bit excited huh! The reverse has sounded like that ever since I have been riding in it(7 years now). I was clued into the Dirty Neutral from reading on here and the PO expressed his concerns about the squeal in reverse. I am tapped out for this year but can only imagine I will be packing that tranny into a milk crate at some point and sending it up North. Right now I need to get the carb straightened out and if my upholstery guy will ever finish maybe we can get a full week on the lake before the kids go back to school. 14 days till the first day of school.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 4:23am
The fat boy in heaven right here. Disaster to lipslide, tongue hangin out throwin down the big spray and I landed it by the way!

1973 Skier
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 11:47am
Wow Keegan,

What a accomplishment!! And to think it all started with wanting a clean windshield.... Congratulations, Monty
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Wow Keegan,

What a accomplishment!! And to think it all started with wanting a clean windshield.... Congratulations, Monty

I know right! I still have not cleaned it I got a little uh sidetracked!

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 12:15am
Job well done Keegan!

I hope to see your collector's item someday.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 4:55am
Man o man that is a proud moment getting to ski behind your hard earned work. Awsome !!!

With your hard work and the CCfan group support it looks like a professoinal resoration.     

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 9:06am
Great Job there Keegan,and thanks for the Utube link a real treat.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 3:03pm
Thanks a lot guys. I would have never considered taking on this project without the help of CCF. I have had so much help from so many people. It just goes to show how passionate we are about these boats as a group. I like the quote, and I cant remember who said it, but that when you throw a plan out to the group they will let you know if there is a better, faster or cheaper way to do it.

I finally lit a fire under my upholstery guy yesterday and he is supposed to have my seats ready tomorrow! That is going to really seal the deal. Riding around on my knees was ok for me, but my wife is not going for that. She wants her first voyage since the rebuild to be in style. This will be the first weekend for us to go out as a family and I can't wait!

1973 Skier
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 5:41pm
Keegan...throwin down my man! Looking good! I've been trying to get my lip slides nice and clean this season. I bet you are so excited. You'll start to notice it feels a little weird having it done and not having it consume your time and thoughts.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 2:59pm
Yesterday I went over to Marty Mabe's to work on the carb. We replaced the diaphragm which seemed to return to neutral position much faster when releasing the throttle. Never got to try it out because my battery died at the boat ramp. Need a new one anyway so not a big surprise there. The mechanic was constantly charging it while they had it and had already told me it was not holding much juice.
So I had to bum a ride on the 93. What a great boat! Quiet, fast, stable, and more hole shot than I could handle getting up on a wakeboard with no pylon extension.

After we finished with the wrenches Marty broke out the buffer and worked the entire boat over. I had already wet sanded but not buffed so it was great to see that haze disappear from the red and a beautiful shine take its place. Also buffed the windshield and it looks great! For a window as hazy as mine was buffing is the only way to go.   

Then Marty surprised me with Hull ID numbers in the SKi Nautique font! They look amazing! Since my boat is just red the letters really pop out and this new look is amazing compared to the mailbox block letters that were on there before.

As soon as I find the cable to my camera I will post pics. My girl is looking right!!!

Thank You Mr Mabe!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:41pm
I enjoyed 2 days on 2 different lakes to finish the summer off. The kids start school tomorrow. We spent yesterday on Oak Hollow Lake and went to my old stomping grounds, Belews Creek, today. The kids had a blast despite the fact that my seats are still not done!!! Here are some pics I promised earlier.

Marty Mabe throwin down the Nautique font hull ID lettering. What a surprise and thank you again! They look soooooo good!

Nice and shiny!

Port

Yeah Dad this is pretty cool!

Hang onto your hats cause we're cruisin now baby!

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:56am
Wow!!!!!

That Gel looks great. I need to drop my boat at Marty's house to get it buffed.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Wow!!!!!

That Gel looks great. I need to drop my boat at Marty's house to get it buffed.

Donald

He does a great job!

1973 Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 4:30pm
nice, nice, nice!!!!
gotta be proud of that boat and family!!!
nice help there from Marty!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 12:18am
Today was the first day my wife got to go out on the boat since we have owned it. We had a great day relaxing in the water, cruising the lake, and a nice picnic on the shade of a sandy beach. The only bummer was losing my wedding ring!!!!!! I tried to swat a horse fly and bloop there it went into about 12 feet of water. It was so dark and muddy down there I did not have a chance at finding it, but I did try only to come up with hands full of mud.

Picnic on the beach

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 1:44pm
Looking good! Did you get the seats back yet?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 2:40pm
Picked them up this morning! Headed back to the lake this afternoon

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 2:48pm
Awesome, cant wait to see it all together!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 1:16am
I did not take any pics today because I did not have time to properly screw down the seat mounts before heading to the lake. I have been on my knees so far so I was just happy to have something to sit in!

There are 24 screws involved in fastening the 2 buckets to the floor so I want to do it right. Pilot drilling, cpes, and 5200 is going into every last one of them, which will take some time just to install, and the 5200 will need some time to cure before our next excursion.

Then one last photo shoot and I can call it a wrap on this thread!

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 26>
  Share Topic