NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 14>
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:08pm
No bow stop, no poles, guides, or winch. Got a short v-shaped one from a friend that I'm thinking about using. Will post pics later.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:23pm
Storm 34 - I tend to agree with you ... your black trailer looks nice and it lets the eyes focus more on the boat.   I believe I am leaning towards Gloss black.

Yellow would be cool but it would scream "look at me - I'm a bright yellow trailer!!!"

Anybody know what type of Black paint to use that is UV tolerant?   I don't want it to fade after a couple of months in the sun.

Dave
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 8:23pm
I'd go with the white of course!!

If the trailer is dissembled, sandblasted and primed with a decent primer, it shouldn't show any rust for 25 years. I suggest one of the industrial two component zinc primers. Many equal galvanizing in salt spray tests.

The worst coating you can put on is powder. Go wet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 9:39pm
I'm out of the loop on classic CC trailers but am working on restoring my 1984 sportsman trailer.

I won't junk up the #2 thread with my stuff but thought I might ask what yall think of my poles and paint as they might be aplicable to a #2. I'll try to get pics of the new poles up this weekend (They are in the shop).

I just had new guide pole fabricated by a local chassis shop. They are an exact match of my originals but these are out of stronger .120 wall DOM chassis tubing. The ugly part was the chassis tube cost $5 per ft.   But at $165 for the pair of new stronger poles I'm ok with it.    
It took 5 shops not being able to do it and then a 75 mile round trip to get the right stuff. Mandrel bent 1.5" .120 wall DOM   

I'm eyeing a paint by Sherwin Williams called Sher Kem. It is an equipment / industrial coating. I've used on a few car trailers and I also used it on my boat engine and trans with great results. My local SW store says that new paint environmental laws are changing the paint / coating business and the Sher Kem might not make the cut. I'm picking up a gallon of Raven Black tomorrow. The Raven black color is a close match to my original paint dark dark blue, basically black with a little blue sheen.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 12:52pm
Hey guys, Bunks, the boards. Just a 2 x 4 cut in half, or do we have a bevel somewhere? Halfway or the length of the board?
66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:11pm
Marty, I just cut some for our Classic trailer. I used the clearest 2x4x12 PT boards I could find. I ripped them down to 3" and put a 3/4" 45 degree bevel on them. I think the original bunks were slightly narrower than 3", maybe about 2.75".
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:17pm
Marty, the bunks looked like this from the factory. I would recommend rounding the top corner so there isnt a pressure point there.

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:27pm
Great info guys. Just trying to remember it all now, as the printer runs out of ink!
I might try to give a few of you a phone call later on,or at least the ones i have #'s for.
Also Gary Blackburn, I think I need your e-mail. Either I never had it or can't find it.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:30pm
Marty,here is a pic of the original boards on mine

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 1:57pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 2:07pm

With the front stop in this position,this is the overhang-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 4:20pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 8:23pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 8:27pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 9:15pm
Marty,can you get me the make and model of the jack if it's on there?

And these dimensions please? Thanks

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2010 at 11:37pm
Gary,
The jack, yes is there. It is on top of the plate it's welded in,
it's 22 5/8 ". The 'foot' is 17 " extended.   So it equals 41 " top to the wheel fully extended. It almost rolls down flat on the ground(the tounge end). The housing is really 24 ".It's welded into the plate that bolts to the trailer. I've seen no markings yet. The only thing is, one side is stamped 4 67   the other 2 with a circle around it. I did notice on the tounge #2 1800 stamped in it near the hitch.I'll take it off Sunday and see if I see a maker on it. The wheel is hard rubber and has Marvel stamped on it.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2010 at 12:48am
Marty,

You painted the rims on your 93 Purple. You should at least paint these rims pink.

I have a guy who did my trailer in Charlotte, NC who can Sand Blast, Epoxy Prime and put an industrial two part Industrial Tank Urethane Coating. I was going to go white, but Reid suggested a OFF WHITE would be more orginal. The painter added a touch of black paint to get off white. He did a great job on mine. JMO

If you can get it blasted, you and I can paint it. I have the Professional Grade Air Spray Gravity Feed Gun you can use. I just let this guy paint mine because he blasted it and it was in the dead of winter. He used a temperature controlled Paint Booth.

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2010 at 12:52am
Total Price ????
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2010 at 12:59am
Marty,

I am pretty sure that it was $600.00 cash. This guy paints Chemical Tanks and Industrial Equipment. He is on Orr Rd. in Charlotee which is near UNCC. I had a real hard time finding anyone who did Sand Blasting.

He put the trailer on a Roastistery(SP?) and did a real good job with the blasting. There also is a welder and fabricator up the street that did my welding. The welder took the trailer to the painter for me. I was happy with boths companies work. I also have a new welder in Denver, NC that did my spare tire holder. I have my paint code if you need it.

Donald
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:27pm
Ok guys, I got the boat back under the trailer everything back together this weekend. I thought I would share some pics and a final review.

I did run into a few problems as these spindles are a bit different than the originals which requires different bearings and seals than the original 1". If anyone (marty) is going to get one of these axles, I can get you the proper part numbers.

I got the springs, axle and hubs from Woody in Florida. He was the only one who could find these springs without having them custom made. He is a great guy and will make sure you are well taken care of!!

Tim Benjamin suggested I go with 13" tires. Some were concerned they would fit but after putting everything together they have much more clearance than the 12's and old springs.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I'm extremely please with the results...

Trailer before....

Finished product (w/o guides)

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:35pm
One more picture from the ride home. Before I did the work, the tires would tilt in at the top when the boat was on the trailer. Not sure if this was due to bad spindles or from the weak springs, but the new stuff rides nice!

......and sorry for the non-original windshield....Ne original will be fixed and put back on this winter
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:41pm

Those springs must have a higher load carrying capacity than mine- they have the trailer sitting quite a bit higher!

Everything looks great- nice job.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:07pm
Thanks for all your advice on this Tim. I was really surprised how high this thing ended up sitting. As of now, I think it's a good thing as it will keep the running gear away from the ground. I think Pete told he he removed a leaf from one of his trailers because it was too stiff. If I find this to be true on this one I may go the same route. Time will tell I guess.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary, I thought of you this weekend when we pulled the boat down to the ramp. If you put one of these jack on your trailer will you be able to open the back hatch of the tow vehicle? I got mine hooked up, plugged in the lights and couldn't close the door because of the bow stop.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:25pm

She's a beauty Chris!! Great info, and you say you are putting the guide poles on,right? How did it load otherwise? Did you float it on ,drive it on, how deep, but the main question is, Does the boat center itself?
66 Skylark
93 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary, I thought of you this weekend when we pulled the boat down to the ramp. If you put one of these jack on your trailer will you be able to open the back hatch of the tow vehicle? I got mine hooked up, plugged in the lights and couldn't close the door because of the bow stop.

Chris, Marty's looks to be an original CC jack- it looks just like mine.

The lift gate on my 4Runner just barely clears it.

Gary, Id love to know if these are still available- there are no markings on mine to indicate who made it. If you find anything, let me know! I sort of suspect we may be out of luck though... I may have to resort to a custom adapter bracket that goes from the original mounting holes on the frame to a modern a-frame jack.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

She's a beauty Chris!! Great info, and you say you are putting the guide poles on,right? How did it load otherwise? Did you float it on ,drive it on, how deep, but the main question is, Does the boat center itself?

Yes, the guides will be put back on. Not sure if I will get to it this fall, might wait till spring since it will just be sitting in our warehouse all winter and I have a few projects that require access to the hull sides.

It was pretty windy but loaded just fine. I set the fenders just under water and drove it on. Didn't notice any major differences when loading/unloading. And yes, the boat centered itself with Alicia and I in the boat. Love everything about the original trailers.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:13pm
Chris,

What is the rating of the springs? Yes, removing one leaf is a method of bringing down the overall load rating but I don't know which one to remove!! I'd say the very bottom but check it out before you do it. I didn't remove any leafs in my when I re sprung one of my trailers. I used a mono leaf instead. Northern handled them for awhile but that was way back. The mono leaf is actually tapered in thickness. heavy in the middle at the axle and then thinner at the shackle ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:58pm
Sounds very interesting Pete. I will see how this one does on it's way to the warehouse and early in the 2011 season. Good thing is, there's a trailer shop right across from our warehouse and we've bought a few utility trailers from them so we are privilege status over there. They put the springs and axle together for me, I'm sure they can help me out when the time comes.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 10:51pm
I do have the same problem Chris,but it's due to the PO mounting a winch to the spare mount.I like the winch so I just have to deal with it.
Tim,I am finding that the new jacks like you said are alot different. I'll keep looking and if I find anything I'll let you know.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic