Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProTec Ignition Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 9:35pm
Is this kit for the protec engines with EFI or just carb?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 6:35pm
did the convertion this winter..my protec would run fine but had problems at wot..it would miss and top 4200 rpm..
After the change..it runs 4800-4900 rpm..also I note a good fuel effeciency improvement....i have an average of 4.5-5 gph...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have decided to make this change, I'll let you know next spring how she runs.
Doug
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 9:10pm
The Pro-Tech in my 93' began its demise in 03'-04' @ about 200hrs, changed it out with the same kit and it ran better then when it was new.
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:33pm
skidim has a great kit..i think mine runs better than ever before. buy it and dont look back.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 6:02pm
I am considering having my 1992 5.8 Pro Boss with ProTec converted to the distributor based ignition system.

I am now thinking my problems this past summer where my engine would hiccup or "short out" intermittently later in the day may be related to age and subsequent failure of this system.

When we fired it up this past weekend during the winterizing process, the boat took quite a while to get warmed up and didn't seem to be firing properly on all cylinders. When we pulled the plugs, 2 of them showed evidence of not burning completely clean.

I called PCM and they have confirmed that the ProTec system can eventually fail after considerable age, and that my symptoms sound typical of this problem. The solution is to convert to a Mallory based distributor system since the ProTec is no longer available.

I am interested in feedback from others who have done this, lessons learned, and hoe the performance was after the conversion.

Thanks guys.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic