NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 25>
Author
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 8:46pm
Rep. Michele Bachmann, head of the House Tea Party Caucus, tells Newsmax that the Federal Reserve’s plan to increase the money supply by buying government securities is a “huge mistake” that will boost inflation and amount to “stealing from the American people.”

The Minnesota Republican also declares that President Barack Obama wants to impose a “massive increase in taxes” by refusing to extend the Bush tax cuts for all Americans.

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 8:54pm
What part of that surprizes you?

The election is over and yes they lost some seats in the Congress but still control the Senate, so it is business as usual. They (Obamaians) are not going to comprimise, they are just gonna do as they like. The American people spoke and they listened, they just didn't hear anything.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 8:55pm
In a clear sign of voters’ disdain for President Barack Obama’s policies, several media personalities with no political experience, including Bill O’Reilly and Glenn Beck, would be within striking distance of defeating Obama in a head-to-head race, according to a new Newsmax/SurveyUSA poll.

Newsmax conducted the survey to find out how several well-known political and "dark-horse" celebrity figures, ranging from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to businessmen Bill Gates and Warren Buffett to O’Reilly and Beck, would fare if they ran against Obama for the White House.

The survey of 1,000 registered voters was conducted Nov. 3-4, after Republicans won the House and gained six seats in the Senate in the midterm elections — results widely interpreted as a rejection of Obama and raising questions about his chances for re-election in 2012.

In the Newsmax poll, respondents were asked: “If there were an election for president of the United States today, and the only two names on the ballot were Bill O’Reilly and Barack Obama, whom would you vote for?” They also were asked that question with other leading media figures in place of O’Reilly.

Overall, O’Reilly got 46 percent of the vote and his fellow Fox News Channel host Beck received 45 percent.

Those percentages are remarkable considering that a prominent political figure, Sarah Palin, got 48 percent of the vote in the Newsmax poll.

O’Reilly even outpolled Obama among men with 52 percent of the vote, among Republicans (79 percent), and conservatives (82 percent).Beck tied Obama among men at 50 percent, and won among Republicans (78 percent) and conservatives (80 percent).

Both Beck and O’Reilly received 49 percent of the vote among white respondents.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

What part of that surprizes you?

It doesnt my brother...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 10:15am
great man with the mouth as Obama, but when it gets down to it.

updates on Ford, 2.5 billion dollar profit, Mallilo??? took over as CEO a few years back, thats the kinda guy you need in office, ONE guy turned that company around.....infiltrating India with our cars. and they really are building a qaulity product unlike what they have done in the past....not that fcn hard to do when you have a guiding light.

38th parrallel is creating some problems, the tension is building and somehow we sat around with todays intelligence which foiled us too in Iraq. this guy is a fcn nut.....more to come. I foresee some big problems with donkey dong kim
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 10:21am
thats the problem with today's society, would you put Howard Stern In there? Rush? Beck? fc no, they are big mouths and they feed off of others problems but always tend to be in trouble themselves
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 12:28pm
Trump is making noises about running - Mr. Art of the Deal has gone bankrupt a number of times, would anyone seriously want him as a leader? Beck? They couldn't make it through the year plus of scrutiny during the election process. Gates or Buffett would be a force. Buffett would probably win with 93% of the vote if he ran, he's one of those rare figures that seems to relate with working stiffs and wealthy, right and left.

When you look at it, you have to wonder why anyone seriously wants the job.

Eric, N. Korea certainly is a problem, talk about unpredictable. We've got 28,000 troops there, I just hope they stay safe.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 12:45pm
Interesting thing about GM and Ford. Obama was praising his bail out for GM the other day. Anyone see that?

Now, wait a minute. They still haven't paid it all back, they aren't out of the woods yet and completely standing on their own long-term, but the plan was a success?

If it wasn't for the bailout the automakers would have failed?

Really? How do you explain what is happening with Ford?

I think what they really mean is, without the bailout the unions would have failed and the car companies would have to reinvent themselves through bankruptcy and restructuring. Some may have dropped out or been bought out, others would have gone under. Unions probably would have been booted out. Wages would have dropped to a more reasonable market level. The companies would recover. More people would have jobs if wages were adjusted.

Not sure I see the problem with that versus the bailout.

By the way, for anyone that was worried about letting them go under and possibly be bought up by foreign interests (I remember hearing some rumbling about that), who bought one of the bigger percentages of stock in GM during this IPO?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 1:04pm
Andy, perfectly written and explained, I agree with every word.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 2:10pm
My wifes sister and her husband just arrived at Osan Air Base S. Korea last Monday. What GREAT timing...
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 3:02pm
you know, if GM went under so would Ford who didnt take cash, the problem was the CEO of Ford encouraged the bailout due to its suppliers, if the suppliers of both companies went under so would the car companies. Unlike annheiser Bushes who sold out to the Belgians, Ford family held true and kept to the grindstone, recognized a problem and brought in a CEO from one of the airlines, Fords board balked a bit because he was a plane guy and his reply was you have 4000 parts in a car on the ground, Im use to 300,000 parts and to keep a plane flying......the rest is history
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 3:58pm
eric,

The point is that GM wouldn't have gone under. The would have filed BK, reorganized, trimmed the fat, and figured out a better way to do business and be more profitable. As it is now, they didn't really change anything, they just were given money to get through a tough spot.

It's kind of like if your kid kept getting himself into financial troubles and you would just loan him money to get through it. He might get back on his feet and even pay you back, but at some point down the road he would be in trouble again, unless he changed how he managed things.

Ford is doing well because they made improvements, plain and simple. I wouldn't be surprised to see GM in trouble again in the next 5-10 years.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 10:47am
in fear of bankrupcy, debt may have been wiped out and suppliers to both Ford, GM and even Chyrsler, may have struggled and also went under because of lack of capital to sustaine, these companies could be the manufacturer of a simple bracket that could shut a line down and those were the fears of Mulillo. He was to at the round table insuring the bailout to prevent this from happening..
I can tell you first hand that Ford has come a long way and always tell these nip believers before you buy, go test drive a Ford, you will be surprised. basic economics, 2.5 billion in profits??? re-invest at local level, scholarships, parks, charities.....all beneficial to the community which means me and you.
I was blabbing about my buddy who is clipping at and t for 37.50, but he takes that cash and throws it right back into the economy, I dont agree on the wage and that is another discussion, but it keeps the ball rolling, now instead of trying to fix his boat in the garage he has the money to pay someone, we lost that core years ago and i really dont think its that hard to understand. when your out of money you usually go up the chain not down, but you must learn along the way as to what got you in that position and not to let it happen again....and I think GM was in that position and I think they know they wont get another chance
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

The point is that GM wouldn't have gone under. The would have filed BK, reorganized, trimmed the fat, and figured out a better way to do business and be more profitable. As it is now, they didn't really change anything, they just were given money to get through a tough spot.

It was a real tough spot. They filed for BK in 2009, trimmed the fat, and have totally new leadership. The bailout saved them and thousands of jobs at GM and all the numerous suppliers who would have closed up shop. We in the auto industry are still having parts supply issues due to resourcing when many business's failed. I am glad it was our government who stepped up and saved them and not some foreign car company or foreign bank taking control of them. I don't know what would have happenened if they would have failed but I sure am glad we did not find out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 1:22pm
I think it would be a Hummer deal Papa if not. For some strange reason the majority wants to some day bow to a flag.
glad to hear you guys kept your jobs
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 2:09pm
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2010 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Trump is making noises about running - Mr. Art of the Deal has gone bankrupt a number of times, would anyone seriously want him as a leader? Beck? They couldn't make it through the year plus of scrutiny during the election process. Gates or Buffett would be a force. Buffett would probably win with 93% of the vote if he ran, he's one of those rare figures that seems to relate with working stiffs and wealthy, right and left.

When you look at it, you have to wonder why anyone seriously wants the job.

Eric, N. Korea certainly is a problem, talk about unpredictable. We've got 28,000 troops there, I just hope they stay safe.

You may be correct with your opinion about Buffett but what I find even more interesting is what he's saying and has been saying for a long time.

"Billionaire Warren Buffett, the third-richest man in the world, recently told ABC's Christine Amanpour that he disagrees with those who say the Obama administration is unjustly hurting business orders with high taxes by saying that in fact, the wealthy have never had it so good."

"I think that people at the high end, people like myself, should be paying a lot more in taxes. We have it better than we've ever had it," he told Amanpour.

"The rich are always going to say that, you know, 'Just give us more money, and we'll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you.' But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on."
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 10:48am
I caught a special on Warren, lives very modestly, sht i think he still drives an 87 buick....the truth hurts and at times cant be excepted.

people dont understand the concept of money, 1 million bucks to that guy is like a 5 dollar bill in mine and your pocket, they do say if there was a 1000.00 bill laying on the sidewalk and he bent over to pick it up, it would cost him money. lol but knowing Warren Buffet, if he seen a penny, he would stop traffic....there is no tax burden on this guy.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 10:53am
Buffet is a poor comparison when discussing the 'high end'. Under the current structure, he is the exception rather than the norm in the 'high end'. Many small businesses that are just barely making it also fall into this abyss.

The truely wealthy will continue holding their cash rather than be punished by the gov't.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 10:55am
Hey Phil, I hear the Pope is backing off on the rubber thing?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 11:02am
Greg, why do you feel so sorry for the rich? honestly tell me that you think Derek Jeter is worth 24 million a year?
I fall into that abyss, but taxes are a part of our civic duty, a good example is the downfall of the tax base at local levels, im being assessed for 7 k for a new bridge that is publically used, in reality taxes should be paying for this bridge, but there aint no money....someone has to pay for it via taxes or a assessments....im going to put a fcn toll road on this bridge bacause it goes to the community pool
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 11:38am
I had read that quote from Buffet. I love the guy, he's such a clear thinker. Like Eric said, wealthy people, and many conservative people, don't want to hear a guy like him saying "taxes are OK". But, it's reality. There is a massive, looming deficit staring at our kids. Congress has to bring spending in line, but even if they do we still need a ton of tax revenue to avoid disaster. So, giving a tax break to those that can afford it most makes no sense to me right now. Buffett also sent that letter praising the government for acting quickly on the meltdown, and while I didn't agree with all the moves, I thought it was pretty amazing to read his letter, not something you would usually read from a guy of his stature.

Now, on Greg's point about small business, I agree. Most small businesses are LLC's, so the owners at least get the advantage of single taxation, but you can't crush the businesses with a ton of fees and benefit taxes and regulations that make it impossible to stay above water. The small business guys pay their taxes, while huge corporations find ways to avoid them. Check into how much tax Exxon-Mobil paid in their record profit year.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 11:52am
Who said I feel sorry for the rich? I say let every man do his best.

The day our gov't is held to the same standards as we are by it is the day we do something about our debt. The waste in our system is a disgrace.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 12:38pm
David, there is a point I think you are missing about taxes. A buisness seeks to get value from all the money it spends. US businesses derive value from paying taxes in the form a secure country, hopefully a sound fiscal and monitary policy, infrustructure,political stability...., a business recieves little value from entitlement spending which is a bout 65% of the federal budget. Any taxation that does not provide value is punative. the Government needs money to function. Obviously if the tax rates are zero the govenment collects nothing, but due to the punative affect of taxes if the taxe rate was 100% the goverment would collect nothing also because there is no reward for the business to operate. The trick is to find the balance in betweens. When Reagan cut taxes goverment revenue went up, same for Bush. Whenever politicians raise taxes they never collect what they plan because they do not factor in the punative effect. We need to cut spending and reduce burdensome regulation period.
As for buffet, he is way to out of touch with average americans to take his opinions to seriously. He is certainly successful, but an abarency.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 12:45pm
general consensus here, the pub party, feels the rich shouldnt pay their fair share of taxes, as you go up in income the tax shelters increase, for the rich created by the rich. we allow everyman in this country to do his best but alot of gain comes from being very lucky, but with it should come penalties, lets say taxes not penalties.
if you took a poor ass man off the streets and offered to him the winning lottery ticket for 20 million, but you would have to pay a 36% tax.....would he refuse the 20 million? of course he wouldnt, he would take the he would take the 12.8 and live comfortably for the rest of his life....or piss it away because he has no clue how to handle that type of wealth, but point being these are the opportunities this country gives us unlike any other in the world..., and it does come with a price...taxes, maybe its a dont know what you have until its gone syndrome, just like myself paying for the bridge, should i have to pay for a public access bridge, no, but I do realize without the bridge I cant get to the pool
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 1:26pm
Dave, good points. What I don't agree with is the comment on the 65% entitlements. I agree, the business that pays taxes doesn't get any benefit from paying taxes that go to entitlements. But, isn't it a moot point, those entitlements have to be paid for.

I definitely don't agree with you on Buffett - I think he is one of the most in touch people in America.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 1:45pm
what baffles me is on a gallon of gas, whether its 4.00 a gallon or 2 bucks a gallon, the tax I believe is 29 cents a gallon, there is some room there for more revenue, its one of those things unlike a sin tax, everyone is exposed. maybe im missing something?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

It was a real tough spot. They filed for BK in 2009, trimmed the fat, and have totally new leadership. The bailout saved them and thousands of jobs at GM and all the numerous suppliers who would have closed up shop. We in the auto industry are still having parts supply issues due to resourcing when many business's failed. I am glad it was our government who stepped up and saved them and not some foreign car company or foreign bank taking control of them. I don't know what would have happenened if they would have failed but I sure am glad we did not find out.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but don't agree. I don't see how one company only survived through the bailout while another survived just fine without it.

Regarding a foreign car company or foreign bank taking control, there were two major purchasers of GM stock in this new IPO...unions and china. I guess it's a good thing we didn't let GM be under any type of foreign control.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 10:46pm
Well, GM has almost paid back all there goverment money back, trimmed the union fat and FORD and GM are top seeling auto's again. Where they should be. Toyato is begging for customers, and hurting badly. Screw the foregin jobs and your liberal plug in the wall cars. When Obama's taxes take full affect, you can kiss in 2012 his "hind end", goodbye. Time for the republicans and americans to stand up again then. Private sector is still in a tevy and people know and want better jobs. Obama has had his adminstration tried to produce but can not. See ya!! Love ya Glenn Beck!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 9:58am
why is it that when we help out our own (GM), people get pissed off, but your neighbor plops 70k down on a turd riceburnin Lexus, you go ooooooo and aaaaaah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 25>
  Share Topic