Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 vs 4 blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 vs 4 blade
    Posted: December-17-2010 at 9:05am
Hey guys need some help Im going to be buying a new prop over the winter and I wanted some feedback on what is the better prop 3 or 4 balde I have a 1994 ski nautique we us it for slalom skiing and footing

Thanks, Mr. Inboard
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 9:21am
Mark,
Roughly, the # 3 topic here in the forums is proping you boat. Do a search and start reading!! You WOT RPM would be great to know too. If someone is directing you to a 4 blade, they most likely are not informed on the latest 3 blade props. (or, they have a 4 blade they want to sell!! )

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 11:56am
If 4 blades is better than 3 why not go for 5?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 12:29pm
On my 95 snob with a 1.23:1 tranny and the standard motor I am running the Acme 470 three blade. Smooth as glass. It is a great prop for skiing. It will pull your arms off, and I have pulled up 5-6 folks on slalom with little effort. I do think I have lost a bit of top end, but I rarely run it WOT for very long. As before, lots of info here on props. Start reading, and weighing the pros and cons for each one! A new CNC'd prop will be a lot better than any old one.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

We actually tested a five blade one time. bottom line is the five blade needs rpm to be utilzed that our inboards canot atain. The out board and stern drive industry utilizes them.

I like four blades over three for our application. they do run smoother and their is no turn growell with them. I even run a hand build SS OJ four blade on my old v-drive that out performs anything else I tried.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 9:59pm
I've been very impressed with my CNC acme 208 4 blade. I will probably buy a 540 to see how that stacks up to the 208 I have to really compare 3 to 4 blades, in a very much like for like with almost no other variables than the number of blades.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Why stop at five

-Adam

1973 Skier
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 7:01pm
I think you'll be happier with a 4 blade, they seem to lift the stern a little more smoothing the wake.
I have a new cnc 3 blade on my boat and I'm looking forward to try a custom made 4 blade.
mslitti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslitti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 7:50pm
Nice 5 blade, I have one on both of my Mercury Racing #6 speedmaster outdrives, But a do not think the person wanted to spend $6000 on that prop. Lol
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 7:03am

Look again, it's a SIX blade!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

On my 95 snob with a 1.23:1 tranny and the standard motor I am running the Acme 470 three blade. Smooth as glass. It is a great prop for skiing. It will pull your arms off, and I have pulled up 5-6 folks on slalom with little effort. I do think I have lost a bit of top end, but I rarely run it WOT for very long. As before, lots of info here on props. Start reading, and weighing the pros and cons for each one! A new CNC'd prop will be a lot better than any old one.

Ernest, do you have a GT-40 in your SNOB? We're looking to get a new prop this spring and are debating between a 3 and 4 blade.

I'm with Jody, I hate the growl the boat makes when turning with a 3 blade. Our 88 was smoother than any boat I've driven to date. Hoping to get our 96 to that point.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 12:34pm
I do not have the gt-40. I havent really noticed much growling, but, I really havent compared the 470 to a good CNC'd 4 blade. DOnt get me thinking about growling!! Ignorance is bliss. My buddy has a 470 on his snob (with the GT 40 motor) and his boat just isnt as smooth as mine. We have aligned it and check everything we could think of. I think some hulls just run better than others.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 12:39pm
I enjoy my blades of 4, personally. Everyone has their favorites though.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I'm with Jody, I hate the growl the boat makes when turning with a 3 blade.

The old school cast 3-blades that came on the early 90's Nautiques are the only ones Ive actually heard/felt growl like youre describing, Chris. They do it in a hard turn only- I believe a hard left turn will induce it. Sound about right? Keith's '94 did this with the 3-blade OJ.

The new-school 3-blades dont do anything like that. They make a *touch* more noise than the 4-blades, but I wouldnt call it a "growl". More of a very slight "chugging" that you notice at skiing speeds. Most people wouldnt notice the difference unless you ran a 3-blade right after the 4-blade though. The CNC 3's are still light years ahead of any of the cast props (3's and 4's alike) in terms of smoothness, not to mention performance.

4 blades are usually the prop of choice with the HO 351's with the 1.23, but that has more to do with the props available than it does with 3 vs. 4 blades. No one makes a 3-blade CNC prop with more than 15" of pitch, and the more powerful motors that are only meant to turn 4800-5000 need a bit more than that to keep the revs in check. The non-HO boats, on the other hand, will usually see better performance from a 3-blade, as there are a number of props to choose from in the 11-14" pitch range.
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 1:03pm
I've got to swap to a LH prop (have an Acme 542 now). I'm probably going with another 3 blade based off everything I've read here. Does anyone know if Delta Propeller is doing a sale like they did last Winter?
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 1:09pm
Go to the "Links" section on CCF- we have a standing 20% discount with Delta.
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 1:27pm
Thank you sir! Need to order that 543 pronto...
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 1:42pm
I had an Acme 541 on my old MC that growled like crazy when you bought the boat off plane. Great performance, but a bit noisy. Love the 422 on my 98 Ski.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Watarski Watarski wrote:

I've got to swap to a LH prop (have an Acme 542 now). I'm probably going with another 3 blade based off everything I've read here. Does anyone know if Delta Propeller is doing a sale like they did last Winter?

Now Craig why would you go and do that when Florida Inboards everyday price is 20% off on any OJ product. I tell ya what Christmas special OJ props 30% off for CCF subscribers/members, sale ends Jan 31 2011.

Better products for better prices at Florida Inboards Inc.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:16pm
Jody, does OJ make anything for an older (1:1) CC (12x13, 12x14, 13x13, 13x14, etc- RH obviously) in their XMP line? Or is the 13x15.5 4-blade for the 1.23:1 the only one they offer?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by Watarski Watarski wrote:

Now Craig why would you go and do that when Florida Inboards everyday price is 20% off on any OJ product. I tell ya what Christmas special OJ props 30% off for CCF subscribers/members, sale ends Jan 31 2011.

Better products for better prices at Florida Inboards Inc.

30% off Acme, too?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:49pm
Tim, Their is a complete line of 13" wheels readily available from OJ in all three lines of propeller XMP, Legend and Force, smaller dia wheels can be supplied upon request but of course their is a bit of an up-charge on special order props. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. The last one I had built was a 11.75X20 4blade SS Very fine quality and performance. Eric will build most anything anyone would want in a propeller.

Riley sorry no! Only OJ products.

Merry Christmas to all!!
Jody

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 2:56pm

Tim, Their is a complete line of 13" wheels readily available from OJ in all three lines of propeller XMP, Legend and Force

Jody, do you have a product list? The only 1" shaft RH XMP prop listed in their Application Guide is the 13x15.5 428.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 3:01pm
On their XMP,(CNC line), my understanding is the OJ's have more meat on the blades than an Acme, so if I was considering going from a 13x12 in an Acme to a 13x12.625 in an Acme, a 13x12 OJ would be more similar to the Acme 13x12.625? I've been considering a different prop for our Malibu Sporster. It has the 310 carb engine. Manual states red line is 4800. It turns 5050 with even 3 people in it. It's got way more hole shot than it needs. I'm thinking a little more prop would be just as good or better all around and may increase top end slightly and better fuel economy for cruising. Does that sound right to you?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 3:27pm
Bruce, when the OJ's are described as "having more meat" on their blades, Im pretty sure thats in reference to the thickness- not the surface area. The Acmes have bigger blades (surface area wise), though not by a huge margin... both CNC styles have significantly more blade area than the old cast props. The only XMP Ive ever tried (430) was slightly bigger in diameter and had more cup than the Acme (422) I ran it back to back against, and thus the OJ ran about 300-400 fewer RPM. Thats the closest Ive been able to compare them apples to apples, but I would bet that if you could find 2 props with equivalent specs, the Acme vs. XMP would turn very similar RPM's.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 6:34pm
For comparison's sake on blade area, here's my old Acme 541 next to a comparable OJ XMP 13x12. Acme has a throwing star thing going for it.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 6:38pm
Acme's are sort like clever blades. Did you notice any difference between the two?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

For comparison's sake on blade area, here's my old Acme 541 next to a comparable OJ XMP 13x12. Acme has a throwing star thing going for it.

I see these are left hand unless the picture is inverted would any of the two be for sale provided they were left hand? And not Gold plated! LOL!!!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 8:19pm
Jody, Im pretty sure ETS let his lefty's go with his MC!

Any response to this?
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tim, Their is a complete line of 13" wheels readily available from OJ in all three lines of propeller XMP, Legend and Force

Jody, do you have a product list? The only 1" shaft RH XMP prop listed in their Application Guide is the 13x15.5 428.

Id really like to try an XMP on the BFN if a proper size exists.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 8:58pm
Tim I would have to say that is an incomplete and overall rather vague application chart and will see if we can make it more complete and informative for future usage. As for your application more information is needed as always What Rpm are you running and is the motor stock? Any Hp upgrades? And also what is the overall desire? Top speed? Holding speed with a load? Out of the hole? And if you have any initial thoughts on what size you would like to try and will work for your application.
Keep in mind my price list comes as blade dia and three or four, Pitch is inconsequential for my purposes for pricing.
We have been working on some stuff for the 200 even stepping up as high as a 14" wheel, though the project has been shelved for a few months.

Thought I would ask ETS because I have a customer that could use a discounted used prop for an upcoming build. Also I am flush with right hand wheels for emergency customers but have no lefty's.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic