Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeffs 1988 BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeffs 1988 BFN Rebuild
    Posted: March-18-2010 at 1:24am
Well it is officially under way it is at home in the shop,
Motor is out
Fuel cell out
Most of the hull hardware is removed
And on to my first conundrum

I don’t want to get to carried away but my boat project was partially stripped by the previous owner .The stringers are in rough shape no floor and foam is out along with the some floor supports.
It almost looks like the boat is twisted possibly from the floors being removed? (Left rear is lower than the right)
I’m thinking I should pull it off the trailer and make a cradle to better support the sides keel ect. To insure that it is true before I cut the stringers out.

It would also make it much easier to work on in my shop. (Its only 24 feet deep)

I like what buffaloBFN did on his by supporting the sides but due to my circumstances I don’t think it’s enough.

And if I did build a cradle what would be the areas to support? I was thinking one down the center to support the keel and on one on each side were the trailer bunks would be and 4 in the corners.

Jeff
2002 CC Ski Nautique
1988 CC Barefoot Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 9:08am
Congrats Jeff and glad to hear another classic CC being saved from the graveyard. Yep get the pics up so we can enjoy the rebuild with you. Remember no question is a dumb one and we're here for questioning should you need us. Good luck with the rebuild and keep us updated with your progress.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 9:56am
Jeff,
I don't feel the twist is from the floors being removed. Since it looks like the hull has a twist in it, I think getting it off the trailer is a good idea. I'd start with setting it on 3 blocks. 2 at the outside edge of the bottom at the transom at then the 3rd under the keel about 3/4's forward. Then start measuring. If it does have the twist, then use Greg's method with blocking at the chine.

Has the hull be sitting outside wet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 12:08pm
Yes it was out side before I got it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by BFNSport BFNSport wrote:

Yes it was out side before I got it

Jeff,
The hull twist with moisture was just a thought and I don't know if it is the cause of the twist but if water sat on one side or in a corner then it's feasible. Get the boat on blocks and straighted out and then keep a eye on it as it dries out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 1:34pm
Welcome Jeff, You're in good company here! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the project.
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 5:11pm
Picked up material to build a craddle today.
Hope to have it welded up tomarow and get the boat on it Sat.or Sunday
Still fighting with uploading pics
Jeff
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 5:30pm
Is this a gray 87 from Indiana?
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 6:30pm
Yes but a 1988 And when washed its white and blue
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 7:30pm
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 7:39pm
Yes that is my boat.Is it a bad thing? With my luck probly yes.....
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 11:18pm
2002 CC Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 1:03pm
I'd invest in a new steering wheel....atleast get rid of that one first! Looks to be from the other brand of boat.

Good thing is...you know where she stands as of now. Just follow the pumpkin thread and you'll be golden!
88Bishop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 2:42pm
hey Jeff, good lookin' boat! I am here in Kalamazoo and about to start the same project on a 1988 2001, keep me updated on the progress and I would love to see your cradle, get some pics to me if you can, shelbybishop2@hotmail.com
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 9:44pm
I got the main frame of the cradle done and casters on.Saturday I hope to get the boat off the trailer and hanging above the cradle base so I can figure out exactly how Im going to hold it.
Jeff
2002 CC Ski Nautique
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 10:33pm

Getting the boat off the trailer was the best thing I did so far.My dad is almost 70 and this will make it much more enjoyable for him to keep an eye on me while I'm working LOL I will beuild a "dock" down one side to get in and out aswell ase a work bench to suport the stringers when shaping.
The twist that I had seems to be gone already.
After it sets for a few days and dries out some more I will make the standoffs in the rear a little more permanent.
2002 CC Ski Nautique
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 11:59pm

2002 CC Ski Nautique
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:08am
Cool pics Jeff.

Waldo
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 3:39am
Pics look good. Plan on having it finished in time to use this year? What color scheme are you going to use?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Pics look good. Plan on having it finished in time to use this year? What color scheme are you going to use?

I'd go with a beige, brown, and orange scheme. For some reason, Hooter's girls seem to gravitate towards it.

James, looks like a thread for Michigan boats. We have to get all these guys together.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 1:44pm
Damn this guy is going to town on this boat. It looks way better already!
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 5:02pm
The plan is to have it ready/useable by July 1st.We have a family reuinon at my uncles (on a lake)
As for the color it will get rubbed out blue for this year.If I do any thing it might be a red or black stripe over the blue.

And yes we should do a Michigan meet and great.
2002 CC Ski Nautique
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 11:18pm
Just a small update. I have started to "clean" up the engine. Not sure how far I will go right now. I picked up Dug Fir and have it roughed in for the main stringers. Right now I'm just collecting materials so when the weather warms up a bit I can start working on the fiberglass repairs.
Jeff
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by BFNSport BFNSport wrote:

Right now I'm just collecting materials so when the weather warms up a bit I can start working on the fiberglass repairs.
Jeff

I know the feeling. Mine are sitting in the shop waiting for a weekend with out work so we can make some progress! Glad to see you are still at it, keep us posted!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:20am
Looks good Jeff.
I forgot that you had a thread going about your rebuild. It impresses me when you guys take on a project like this. I will be following this thread until it's finished (in April). As soon as it's done, we'll plan a get together with the Michigan contingent. Just in case you don't have her in the water this spring, and you have the itch to do some footin', let me know and we'll hit the lake.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 1:16pm
Nice work so far! im in the shop today grinding on my boat as well. if ya dont mind me askin, what did ya give for it. i almost pulled the trigger on it a wile back.jeff
BFNSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFNSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 12:44am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Nice work so far! im in the shop today grinding on my boat as well. if ya dont mind me askin, what did ya give for it. i almost pulled the trigger on it a wile back.jeff

To much Im afraid.
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 11:19am
Good thread but we need more pics to catch up on your progress!
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 12:14pm
Where did you get your D-Fir?
Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Where did you get your D-Fir?
Kirk

Kirt,
If all else fails, try LL Johnson in Charlotte Mi.. They have the timbers and will resaw/surface plane for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic