NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 separator rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 15>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 10:30am
on some of the older OMC's the entire engine drive package is supported by the transom, so to trim the boat the engine will go up and down with the drive. but on the mercs, the back 2 engine mounts rest on the inside gimble mount, but still at the top on the outside of the drive the force is being pulled out. you surely can deviate from factory on this one, at times over the years ive even aluminum plated on the inside on the last piece. this is one place strength is important
"the things you own will start to own you"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

the plain resin with hardner will hold them together, thats what your saying, then glass back and sides that goes to boat, then with thickened epoxy attach to hull. all treated with cpes of course then glass over top. how much glass over top, size, and layers? thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Yep the resin is the glue. Weights or clamps depending on size and shape of pieces you are laminating. I did not glass any pieces before attaching them to the hull. I used cabosil thickened epoxy to attach to the hull. As it squeezed out I used the excess to make a fillet. Then I covered them with 2 layers of biaxial. Your transom might need an extra layer of glass given your application. Three layers of biax is super strong.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 5:56pm
Keegan, Nice work!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 4:00pm
Good afternoon! took some advice of you fine fellers again, made the 1st piece of transom support wider than original. made it as wide as flat part of transom permitted without bends, then cut smaller gimbal plate pattern for 2nd layer. here is a pic of template made with construction paper and hot glue, the part with an x will be cut out to make the 2nd layer. these pics are of the finished product prior to cpes. there is drywall screws temparaly holding it together, i will also use these when joining the 2 pieces together then removing. Eric thanks for suggesting the planer, I cleaned the transom in less than 1 hr. I owe you a case of beer of your choice i was not looking forward to that job. jeff
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 6:33pm
It looks bulletproof.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 10:11am
chico's kid? looookin goood,
did you understand about pre drilling the 6 transom bolts that hold the drive and also using them as clamp bolts? also i will cut my opening small and sneak in with long vice grips, also too utilizing the u-bo;t holes too for bolt clamps.
I dont think you'll want to use clothe between the layers, coat all sides and then scuff with 36 or 80 for the bonding to the transom, coat the edges very well because thats where it will soak and pull water,
use the cloth (heavy woven) on the edges running it to the corners.
I see you screwed the second piece on, you need to bond that piece also.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 8:44pm
Hay Eric! yes the second piece will be bonded, screws were for fitting and bonding perposes only, have all pieces cpes,d and ready to bond yes i understood on the clamping thanks, do ya use heavy cloth all the way across or just on the edges. jeff
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 8:59pm
Looks great!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 4:56pm
After hitting the boat show in FT Wayne yesterday. decided i cant afford a new ride . so i did about 4 hrs of grinding today on the old sep. no that aint snow on me either
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 7:14pm
Wow you are a real man. I wore tyvek suit for grinding. gave me the ability to take a break and go inside if I needed to. Making me cringe just looking at those pics!

1973 Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 7:59pm
Hay Keeganino! can ya give me a call 269 506 1249 Jeff some questions on the thinkened epoxy. THX
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 5:42am
Jeff, nice work!
Looking forward to the next pics!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:34pm
This is what ya get for 4 hrs of your life I think im seeing a little light at the end of the CC tunnel these are pics of last test fitting for some pieces prior to bedding, any concerns that anybody can see? tonight Im bonding the 2 transom pieces together. thanks guys for helping so far
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:38pm
More pics!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:47pm
One more! New out drive should br here this week, decided to go with a alpha gen 2. will post more when ready
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:21pm
Impressive man!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:35pm
It will be a lot stronger than original. Should outlast our boating days!

1973 Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:34pm
Bonded the transom pieces tonight, worked out great. does the back of the piece also need covered with resin before bonding to boat. thanks jeff
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:15am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Bonded the transom pieces tonight, worked out great. does the back of the piece also need covered with resin before bonding to boat. thanks jeff

No I would just use thickened epoxy when you bed it to the transom. The resin is brittle without the glass and could cause separation.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:36am
I HOPE not a SEI alpha generation 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 2:51pm
Eric! could you comment on the sei alpha gen 2 please, Im not up to date on outdrives. just trying to upgrade on the old. thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 3:01pm
Eric! did a search and i think i figured out what you were saying. the out drive i got is original merc product with 90ish hours on it, the po put new gimble and water pump and seals in prior to shipping. i got the complete package prop to shifter for a great price. the other boat was crushed by a tree limb, that the reason for parting out. thanks for the concern!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 12:00pm
A friend of mine got into trouble with jonny law,so he is working for me for the next 3 months he is a very good body man, so he is now my personal boat wet sander. been working on sep all week got it to shine like a diamond. also did a test paint on the stripe to see if we liked color. we used a rattle can of rustoleum, a few pics!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 12:13pm
SEI is a company out of Florida, I believe that sells imitated new Alpha drives to the general public for around 1200 bucks, they are fcn junk, great warranty, but again junk...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 12:13pm
BTW, your bodyman, alcohol related???
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

BTW, your bodyman, alcohol related???
That is a big hell ya his 5th, 2 in 2 yrs thank god we have a personal friend thats a state cop that took an interest in my projects.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2011 at 9:52am
for some reason, its the nature of the beast. Ive come to a conclusion, A bodyman will either never ever touch the sauce, or completely opposite and drink a fifth and wash it down with a case of beer....no in betweens....the second one becomes super driver.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2011 at 10:57pm
The new outdrive arrived last night, pretty nice! today we redrilled the transom and test fit the new OD, fits like a glove. we also cut the transome and made adjustments for the steering arm in the wood, cpes,d the edges. the wet sanding is complete and tomorrow we will be starting the buffing here is a few pics! enjoy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2011 at 11:08pm
one more
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 12:08am
Nice!

The black outdrive looks really sharp against the clean white hull.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic