NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 14>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 11:25pm
Marty...just get some new leaf springs and don't worry about your running gear ever again.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 11:57pm
Thought I'd share these...

The other one should be done this week and then the hubs, springs and axle will get done soon after.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 1:04am
Marty,

Looks great, I am just glad you are not painting the rims pink. I was worried.

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 5:15pm
Donald- you got your contacts in? You realize that was Chris' post. Those are his wheels
I just hi-jacked his thread on #2 trailer work.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 5:32pm
Hey Marty,

Ever thought about flipping the axle on the leaf spring to get you a little higher off the ground? Glad I did it on my #2 trailer............

BTW - Recognize the "Reidsville" landmarks? I was searching for Hollywood...........
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 11:36pm
Guess the #2 NEEDS NEW SPRINGS !! Where and how much?

Swapping the boat today and I knew it wasn't far enough up, tried tying it off but the rope slipped a little, and the Wife starts YELLING, SOMETHING'S DRAGGING !!!! It scared the crap out of me!

Yep the rudder was dragging. Got 3 people to help push it up on the trailer, retied it, but just didn't like the rudder being 2" off the ground. The springs were FLAT OUT !
So back down the ramp and switched it back to the tandem trailer!

Anyone in the market for a #2
                  I guess this is where it would ride the best.
       But it's almost up at the jack!

66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 1:15am
Marty, give Woody a call on Monday and he'll hook you up. He was the only one I could find to get the proper length without custom making them. Custom job in DSM was like 500 bucks if I remember right, woody can get em to you for 80.

When you have them mounted to the axle, have them put the axle on top and you won't be as high as mine is.

Do this and add some 13" wheels and you won't have to worry ever again.

Before

After
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 1:37am
Marty I had mine made at a local spring shop,65.00 ea for the 5 leafs.After I had it all together and with the boat on it I took it back to them and he recommended to add another leaf which I did. Check back on this thread,I think Chris Mars (storm34) got some from Woody? I'm not sure. You will also need 12 of these I could not find these anywhere but here,even my spring guy could not get them. Here are a couple of pictures of mine,you can see that even my springs ride flat and then there is a pic of where mine rides on the trailer

I have to start typing faster,I see Chris answered already
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 2:17pm
Yes Marty I do think you should put your axle under your springs after going back and looking at your pictures.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 9:31pm
Marty, I can't remember specifics right now and my boat notebook is at home. I won't be back till wednesday so your best bet is to call Woody Monday. Springs were $80 bucks, just over $100 for the axle, be sure to get the plastic washers from Gary's place above. I ended up using 8 of them as the springs already had plastic washers inside them. You can get hubs locally or use yours if they look good.

I wen't with an axle from Woody, but you can probably get one locally for pretty cheap. I found one from a local shop, 3.500lbs but same length. I already had mine on order from woody, but would have gone with the 3,500 lb if I did it again. My guys had the whole thing already together when I got back with the springs. Its still sitting there if you want me to get a price for you. Benefit of the 3.500lb is you'll have camber so the wheels won't tilt in when you load the trailer.

As for axle placement, it's up to you wether you go top or bottom. My trailer is pretty high so if you don't want to be up that far you can put it on top. This would also let you use your 12's and not look like you have dinky wheels. Just remember, the higher you go the more room you have for running gear. I haven't had a problem with loading or unloading or any draw backs from being higher. Plus, I think it looks more BA with the bigger wheels and sitting higher.

If you get your axle from a local shop you can have them match the bearings and hubs for you. I ran into problems because the inner seal had a different inside diamater and the bearings were a little larger inside as well due to the bigger spindle. Once I got the right part numbers everything wen't back together just fine. Again, if you get the axle from woody I'll dig out the right numbers and get em to ya.   
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 11:26pm
Whoa!

Axle,hubs,etc? Marty - is there a problem with the hubs, bearings and axle spindles? I see you have "Bearing Buddies" on the hubs........ I assume you had them off doing your trailer refurb. Were you able to snug up the nut and had little to no wobble of the hub on the spindle? If any wobble, pull the hubs and look at the spindles for scoring, pitting and flattening. If you see any of this, your bearings will show the resultant damage..... and a trip to the axle store is in order.

But.............. if the spindles, bearings and hubs were gone over and passed the Marty test.... you're good. Get some springs, you can even get them with the original load but greater height off the axle. Fix the axles and leave the rest alone if they are all good. If they are all good, I'll take that trailer off your hands for cheap...........
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 11:42pm
BTW- If you have trouble finding spring sizes .......... do what what was done on Gary's trailer springs..........use an extension shackle - it will get your butt up too!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

BTW- If you have trouble finding spring sizes .......... do what what was done on Gary's trailer springs..........use an extension shackle - it will get your butt up too

Steve, Im not following you... those shackles look original to me? Ive got what appear to be the same ones on all of my #2's.

Marty, I went back and looked at your pictures and compared them to mine. It looks like your axle is flipped relative to my #2's. My axles are under the springs, not over. Flip that and you should be in better shape.

New (round) axle and springs:

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:59am
"Original"....

We know that "original" varies quite a bit. The way that these trailers were set up varied when they were made (hand crafted). What is original to yours may not have been original to Gary's or Marty's. What most folks are doing here is getting it done by keeping in original style .

My point to Marty is: there are ways to get today's springs mounted on yesterday's trailers in a style similar to "original".

BTW - That prop doesn't look "original" to me.......
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 1:05am
Also Tim:

While I only have one #2 trailer, it doesn't have the extension shackles on it's springs...........
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:21am
Those shackles are my originals.With a tube top mount I don't know how else you would mount the spring
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

While I only have one #2 trailer, it doesn't have the extension shackles on it's springs...........

Steve, by the way your boat is sitting on the trailer, Im guessing you have a #2-LB? I havent looked closely enough at how those are set up. Marty has a regular #2, same as Gary and me (of which I have/had 4). My point was that the "extension" shackles youre referring to are original equipment, and Marty already has them. Scroll back a page and check out his pictures.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that Mary's axle is indeed upside down relative to all of my #2's, so turning it around would give him around 4" more ground clearance and likely correct his issues.

Marty, dont slide the boat too far up- you want to figure out where to mount that stop pad based on the correct amount of tongue weight (~10% or so).
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:20pm
Doesn't it make sense that one end of the spring is fixed and the other has to float on shackles of some sort? If one end didn't float wouldn't the spring bind?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Doesn't it make sense that one end of the spring is fixed and the other has to float on shackles of some sort? If one end didn't float wouldn't the spring bind?

Yes, shackles are always needed. As a leaf spring is compressed from the unloaded arch towards flat, the length increases. Without shackles, the spring couldn't move.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 1:56pm
Guys, we've been through 8 pages of this, go back and read. You have to have new springs made or......call Woody and get new springs.

Marty, You may not need a new axle, but check to see if it's bent. Mine let the tires tilt in pretty bad when the boat was loaded. Like your springs, they may look good but load it up and you may find it's bad.

For $100 you might as well change it out and have the peace of mind that everything is new, especially if you plan to drag it to SJRR or other long trips.

Ps, the shackles are original equipment. Keep it original, not for looks, but functionality.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Guys, we've been through 8 pages of this, go back and read. You have to have new springs made or......call Woody and get new springs.

Well, he should at least turn his axle right side up first and then re-evaluate.

I had 2 sets of #2 springs custom made by a local trailer shop. I think next time Ill give Eastern Marine a try. They offer 2 different springs that should work on a #2 (both are 30" long and 1-3/4" wide), one has 3 leaves and a 1250 lb (ea) rating, the other has 6 leaves and is rated for 2500 lb (ea).

Eastern Marine

Chris, I did the same thing as you and replaced my hubs, axles and springs on 2 of my #2's for peace of mind... but looking back, it might have been overkill. If the trailer tracks properly and the spindles are in good shape, theres really no need to replace the axle. If the springs are saggy or damaged, theyre cheap enough to do though- but again, they should last a long time if theyre in good shape.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:23pm
Tim, remember the conversation we had about the tires tilting in? Mine tracked fine and spindles were good but the tires were worn on the insides pretty bad. From this picture, his look like they might be ok. Just wanted to bring it up so he can check it out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Tim, remember the conversation we had about the tires tilting in? Mine tracked fine and spindles were good but the tires were worn on the insides pretty bad. From this picture, his look like they might be ok. Just wanted to bring it up so he can check it out.

Chris, I remember. By "tracking properly" I meant that the trailer didnt exhibit any signs of improper camber or toe (like yours did). Maybe that was a bad way of putting it.

Like you said, you definitely needed an axle, but I dont see anything obvious that would indicate Marty does based on his pictures... but he should inspect more closely and verify that.
DIXIECHICKEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIXIECHICKEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 5:55pm
That flat out looks scary to me.....
GIG EM!!!
If its hurtin, soak it in cider!!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 12:23am

E-mailed Woody at "SECC"    He wanted to make sure my springs were 30". So I preceded to 'flip' the axle after work and measure the springs. Upon getting to the last bolt--AS ALWAYS-- it was 'welded' to the plate that supports the springs and 'u' bolts.

Oh ,well, sawzall it off, because I had to grind that weld back far enough for the next 'u' bolt and nut.

If the springs are 30"-- my Northern Tool Store and my local Trailer Repair shop has 30" springs in stock. Could this be right?? What happened to the "Odd" size Oh, it's the 'axle' that's an odd length?

Oh well, guess I'll wait to hear from Woody and maybe it'll be ready for White Lake 2011.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 2:20am
So what are yours? Mine are 31
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 10:31am
I can't believe the only thing securing your axle to the axle is a bit of weld on the fish plate.!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 11:02pm
Oops! I spoke too soon! Well didn't read the fine print. Those 30" springs in stock are 'Slipper Springs'. Can get the double eye springs ,but you have to special order.
So surfing around today and found THESE .

Guess, I'll be getting these when I'm down at SJRR next week.This is just in case, once I flip the springs-axle, if needed, then I'll have the springs!
66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 11:18pm
I might have to get you to pick up a pair for me too at that price wow!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:06am
Just painted my DV4 black after sanding all surface rust, lowering the suspension with shorter shackles and re-carpeting the bunks.   Now waiting to mount new Fulton F2 Jack, spare tire carrier, new LED lights, decals thanks to Paul Snyder, and "Correct Craft" lettering if I can get the artwork for the 70's script.

Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic