NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 14>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 12:08pm
Marty, read closer! The Eastern Marine springs are double eye like you need.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think next time Ill give Eastern Marine a try. They offer 2 different springs that should work on a #2 (both are 30" long and 1-3/4" wide), one has 3 leaves and a 1250 lb (ea) rating, the other has 6 leaves and is rated for 2500 lb (ea).

Eastern Marine

Did you already flip the axle? I would do that first and then re-evaluate... you may not need new springs at all.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 12:44pm
Did you check my site out? $15 cheaper

Double Eye Spring 30" 5 Leaf
       1250 lbs capacity.
        Price: $31.75     

No flip-o yet. Will pick up a spring u-bolt kit and check it out this weekend. So the trailer will not debut at SJRR. My guide poles I still can move them in closer because they're a little wide still.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 12:55pm
Good find on those springs! I didnt notice they had 5 leaves- thats much closer to the originals (which had 6 or 7) than the Eastern Marine 1250 lb versions. Id be more inclined to choose between those or the 2500 lb version if you decide that you do in fact need a new set. Heck, for $31 Id say order them up and try them regardless!   

If you flip the axle and gain 4" or so of height, and the existing springs dont look to saggy, then you might be just fine. Dont sweat the guide poles- theyre nice to have not required by any means.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 11:02pm
Well at lunch today- stopped by Northern Tool--picked up a U-Bolt Spring Axle Kit for $15. Around 5:30 pm started the axle/spring'FLIP'

WOW !!!   The wife said, That don't look right! There's too much space between the fender and tires! So I guess you're gonna put some 24's on it now

I told her I might go with some 13" tires and wheels

To OE or not to OE    It's not going to any 'BIG' Shows so it might be getting some 13" 's on it.

66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 11:23pm
Seems like your fenders are way too high compared to all the other trailers. Can you remove those brackets and bolt the fenders directly to the frame?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 11:33pm
Yes on the fender lowering. Just that they were there when Morfoot and I picked it up from the Bayou! Probably will take those 'extender's' off, but if I can't find a decent load rated tire LOCALLY-- I will put some 13" rims and tires on that sucker and might need those 'extender's'
66 Skylark
93 SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 12:04am
Here's a number 2 trailer with a heavier boat on it. The springs are original, but the axel, hubs and tires/wheels came from Red Neck Trailers down in your area. The fenders do not rub and it trailers really well. I do not believe the fenders were relocated when they switched to the larger tires.
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 12:10am
Marty - great chatting with you today and I look forward to meeting you at the SJRR.

After closer inspection of your handy work on those serial no. tag plates I believe I like the looks of the 60's version. If you can bring one with you to the RR I would greatly appreciate it!

TimD - thanks for making the decals for me tonight ... can't wait to get them on the trailer frame!!!
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 1:55am
That looks much better Marty,throw the boat on and lets go.That even looks to have the original hubs on it too.I just changed mine for the trip,I kept loosing bearing buddies and the seals didnt fit very tight.

Does anyone want me to bring my number stamps to stamp their new serial plate???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 2:23am
1 vote for the 'Stamper' ! Got 2 guys wanting to pick these up at SJRR.
Hope they know the #'s they'll be stamping

Guess I'll throw the winch,bow stop on it that The BoatDr let me have when Morfoot and I picked it up. He said it was on there. I'll bolt it up and hope it'll winch the 66 up and it'll line up where it should ride. I'll do another 'Swap' on Saturday, I guess, but it still won't debut at SJRR.
Hope it'll be ready for White Lake.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 4:08am
Saturday sounds good! I would love to come help
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 9:59am
Hey Marty - it might look better if you are able to lower the fenders.   It looks like you could remove what look like shackles that the fenders are bolted to and are then bolted to the frame.   Will the holes in the fenders line up to the holes in the frame?

Good work on the trailer.

Dave
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 11:51am
Yeah, the holes line up. Was wondering what those 'extensions' were for, but kinda believe that they were there for the side bump boards like on Mr.Starr's trailer.
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:23pm
I would bet they moved them up since the clearance was so low.

Looks much better with the axle flipped.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:24pm
Marty - maybe I am stating the obvious here, but it looks as if putting the boat on the trailer may give you a better idea of how high the fenders really are? or if you need to remove the fender extensions.    the first pics look to have "lowered" the fender a good 3-4" once the weight of the boat took its toll on the springs. Of course all that could change if you put stronger/newer springs under it...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:28pm
You moved the springs a much further distance than the height of those fender extensions. Even though the tire was close before, you should have plenty of room to put them back where they belong. The further away the fender is from the tire the less efficient it is.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You moved the springs a much further distance than the height of those fender extensions, there will be plenty of room to put them back where they belong. Those things are terribly inefficient that far from the tire.

Exactly. Now that the axle height is fixed, you can fix the fender height too. All of my #2's mount the fenders directly to the frame rail (no risers).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:38pm
Marty,
It sure looks like your making progress with getting the trailer more towards original. As mentioned, flipping the axle did it and yes on getting the extra brackets off the fenders.
Now, we just have to convince you to get rid of the goofy looking LED's!!! Are you trying to compete with the gang from PN? Hopefully you got a good deal on them from work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:50pm
FWIW, I like your LEDs. Though not original, you will have brought the rig so much closer to original by using this trailer, I think you can get away with it. Would look good though if you can get by without using those fender height extensions. Either way, Really looking forward to seeing it at WL
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 3:51pm
Marty, I may have a couple round lights if you decide to ditch the LED's. I went digging through our bone yard at the lake before they scrapped some old boats. Came back with some nice gauges, bow lights, and trailer lights.

Edit: Can you remove the red face plate off the LED's and put a solid red one on?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 4:09pm
Do faceplates interchange on LED's? Guess I could but those LED's were payment for a small engines carb rebuild on a generator I did for a gentleman back during the winter. I told him $10 for the rebuild, he said can you take something in trade? I said what ya got? He pulled those LED's out and I said SURE!

The whole idea on picking between the solid red lense and the white lense was from a distance it looks like a round light.
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 11:11pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2011 at 11:53pm
I vote for the LEDs.... brighter light..

Good looking fenders..... but now, the Skylark...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:40am
Marty, those lights and lowered fenders make it look 100x better!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Marty, those lights and lowered fenders make it look 100x better!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:55am
Marty,

You are getting closer to making everyone happy. It is looking good. I also like the round better than the square. However, I love my LEDs on my trailer. Where is you NC Tag Mount?

Now lets talk about your 93 Trailer. Please paint those purple rims black.

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 10:56pm
U serious Donald? I thought you liked 'purple things'
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:09pm
No Marty, Just messing with you.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 12:15am
So how did it go? I moved 6 yards of gravel and a pallet of blocks today from the driveway to the back yard
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 4:35pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic