NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 14>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 9:05pm
That looks alot better Marty. I'd still get new springs,at those prices,you can't beat it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 11:25pm
I would definitely get new springs. They look too flat to me. Mine still have a nice curve to them with the boat on it.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2011 at 11:43pm
I'm with Keegan....... swapping out the springs will give you the flexibility to give you more height as well as getting rid of sag (you could go with a "deeper" spring).

I'll post some pics tonight of my setup - psuedo low-boy (without shackles). Ha!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 12:43am
You have to be careful,too much arch and the spring won't work.All the road shock will go straight into the load.I took my whole rig to the shop who made the springs and thats how he set it up on mine.He actually added a 6th leaf after he saw how it sat with the original 5 leafs

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:31am
Here's my setup..........

#2 trailer..... offset axle with single eye, slippered, rear hook leaf spring with arch still present LOADED with boat. My springs are not flat as shown in the post above. I also have a bracket ABOVE and BELOW the spring with the axle placed inside the entire span of the U-Bolts. I have 4-6 inches more clearance than what's shown due to spring arch.

Tim called mine a Low-Boy; don't know if that is true...... it certainly is lowered with the offset axle and the axle being inside the spring arch originally (I swapped it this past summer to get more height off the ground). But the Low-Boy owners with which I have spoken all describe a longer bunk with a prop guard as a protection because of the lowered bunk height.............

As you see, I don't have the elongated bunks or the prop-guard. Who knows what Silver Spray Sports did with the #2 in '78.... apparently there are a lot of deviations in "original". It came this way from at least 2 PO's back.... who knows what it looked like from the dealer.

So Marty, there are a number of ways to work this out! You have a lot of options that don't necessitate significant expense.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:32am

Leaf Springs.........

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:37am

End of trailer......... Transom overhang - no prop guard..........

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:29pm
This will not work.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

This will not work.

Sure it will... assuming that your goal is to bend/break the original jack.

On the other hand, if your goal is to actually winch the boat up onto the trailer, then i agree- not gonna work.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:41pm
OK-- Naysayers--- Have at it!!

This was just a temporary place for the winch to keep the boat from sliding back. There was no WINCHING of the boat out of the water with it. I was just getting an idea again of where the boat is comfortable and figuring out where to build the bow stop.
As all have mentioned that's why the bow stops were adjustable, because every boat is different.

But upon my findings this will work for me. I will put a brace from the jack to the trailer and it will be re-enforced so as not to flex any or do damage to the jack. Then a V-Stop bump will be placed on that re-enforcement.

So if it ain't OE- then tell me where to BUY all the OE parts to put it together like it's suppossed to be. Oh, the parts are not available anymore huh

So we have to fabricate our own parts. For me, this is the way that's easiest for me to get this trailer up to my standards. I just might even change it up and put some CHAMPANGE Pinstripe on it
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:50pm
And the day after you get that done the jack will die and now you have a decorative jack post integrated into some V-stop contraption. Let the jack be the jack and fabricate a standalone bow stop.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:55pm
Marty, I would be very hesitant to rely on that jack to hold the boat in place, which is the point, right? It wont take much of an avoidance maneuver to overcome its strength.

I agree with HW- let the jack do its job and leave it alone. Build a seperate, simple bow stop and let it do its job too (the original style is painfully simple and very effective). Figure out a way to safely secure the boat when loaded... some sort of turnbuckle or safety chain secured to the round crossmember running between the 2 framerails works well.

No need for a winch, these little CC trailers load great without them.

Just my 2 cents!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 6:11pm
Again, no harm was done to the jack. This was temporary just to hold the boat to keep it from sliding back into the water on the ramp when pulling out. I checked the trailer over in the parking lot, was looking at my options, doing some drawings, then took the boat back off the trailer and put it back on the tandem. I am not pulling the boat around town on the trailer like this.
It was just to get some ideas on where to start placing everything. The trailer won't be finished until I get back from SJRR. Hopefully I'll have it ready for White Lake.
Again, NO HARM done to the jack in question, it was just to see what and where the boat looks comfortable.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 6:19pm
Good, just trying to keep it that way!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 6:44pm
Timmy jumping on the Jack Off wagon, you guys are like twins!! What's next, convincing him to go with a Double Dutch Rudder?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 6:57pm
Marty, I'll send you pics of my stop as well. Really simple to make if you are going to have one made. Two vertical poles with a few braces and supports.

Tim's style from his skier is even easier to make.

One you have the stop in place and the guides right you will amazed at how easy it is to use these #2's....no need for the Gary S supports!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:18pm
ouch Chris
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:26pm
...All in good fun Gary, hope you didn't take offense to it

I'll be waiting to her what the consensus from Mr. Ralph is this weekend!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:27pm
OK. Been thinking on this guys.
All you OE eaters out there-- To pacify your thirsts on this,

How about I build a stand where the PINK arrow is pointing, put the winch on it, then come off it with the bump (bow) stop?

66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:32pm
Marty, what about one of these? Simple and cheap to build.

edit: Don't mind all the straps, it was setting about a foot back before we made our way home. Pulled and loaded extremely well.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:39pm
On second thought...can you pull keegan's over and match his?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:41pm
Marty, why are you trying to combine the winch and bow stop? I cant see that being simple, or looking right.

Ill reiterate that I think a winch on one of these trailers is all but useless. One of my trailers has one and I cant foresee ever using it. They load great without it. Maybe if I broke down it would make loading easier?

The original bow stop looks good, is perfectly functional, and would be easy to build. Plus its adjustable. Whats not to like?

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:43pm
Thought about that. But it looks like really there's no room left, since the boat is so close to the jack.
But I would BOLT mine on to get rid of those ugly clamps. I still want the winch on it though. Just thinking of some different ways to go about this thing, and still liking the V-Stop idea.
I've seen all the pics on the stops, appreciate you guys posting them and sending them to me, giving me ideas, telling me what works and what has worked for many years, but if a bow stop had been on the trailer when I got it, then I would've worked with it.
Again Thanks for the Help on this, all the critizism is well taken and is all in FUN. Whatever I do, I hope you approve and if I get points taken away, I'll just drop back for some 3-pointers
66 Skylark
93 SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

All you OE eaters out there-- To pacify your thirsts on this,

Marty, it has nothing to do with "OE". If the boat wants to slide off the back it's going to take the jack right along with it. You'll be left with a damaged boat AND a ruined jack. When I'm on a steep ramp the driver will just hold some throttle to keep the boat in place all the way until the prop breaks the water.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 8:01pm
HW

This is not a permanent fixture. This was just to see how the boat sits on the trailer , how far up it needed to be, etc.
This was to get some ideas of where to start placing things. I did not use the winch to drag the boat up on the trailer. It was used to just hold it in place. The week before I used the rope, and my knot slipped. So now she's pregnant
I stayed in the parking lot, took some pics ,mulled things over, gently backed her back in there, released my load, and shot it on the other trailer.
It is on the tandem trailer all snug as a bug waiting for the trip to SJRR.
When I return, I'll start work on the #2 again, and might take that jack-off and get it Gold-Plated-- I mean it seems so valueable now.
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 8:09pm

HW

I stayed in the parking lot, gently released my load, and shot it on the other trailer.

Not saying that the original card needs to be played here to save points. Just that it's simple, functional and cheap. Like tim said, no reason for a winch on these trailers once they are dialed in. From the pics it looks way far forward but it may be due to your different engine config.

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do, just saying whats worked for me and my #2.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 8:14pm

It was used to just hold it in place.

as you pull up the ramp....

When the rig is parked in the horizontal lot I agree, there's no load on the jack. If the boat started slipping off the back as you drove up the ramp it would brign the jack along with it. If you hit the brakes too hard half way down the ramp it'll bring the jack along with it. The position of the jack has no relation to the placement of the boat on the trailer. I'm just warning you that the jack is not going to help any going up and down the ramp, I said nothing about winching or towing. I am talking about the boat being attached to the top of the jack post, it could be a winch strap, rope, whatever. If you tie it too tight with the transom floating the bow will pull back as it sits flush to the bunks, now you've got a sleek, aerodynamic 30 degree angled back tongue jack.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 2:04am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Just that it's simple, functional and cheap.   

Well said Chris,why reengineer something thats proven. And no offence taken either Chris,I'm the one who'll be laughing when we find out I have the long lost prototype of the 2A trailer
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 2:09am
OK, it's getting nasty now. Until you know how the ramps are at the lake I use and not some of the steep ramps that you or someone else may have used, your conclusions are not the actions of my plan.

Keegan's trailer has the goal posts bow stop. Yes that flat 2 x 6 is easy, but I just don't like the looks of it. But you never know, it might wind up on there anyway. Some of you might say I'm overthinking this, but I have a blank canvas to work with. Yes I asked for pics.Yes I'm mulling them all over. But when it comes down to it, it's my decision. No offense taken to anyone, no hard feelings to anyone, just gathering all the info and gonna do it my way like Frank Sinatra.

The ramp at my lake is not steep at all. I was very careful pulling the boat, very slowly out of the water. Watching the boat all the while. Not going more than 5 mph to a space in the lot, slowly easing her in a space and stopping with no problem.

That jack also is alot sturdier than you might think.
I know that it wasn't designed to hold a winch or a boat on a trailer.
That was not my intention to permantly affix it to the jack. It was only a temporary placement.
As said before, I appreciate all the input and pics. By no means was I going to go driving around town or down the interstate with this set-up. I just don't know how else to explain that this was only a TEST to see what kind of gossip I could start up here.
Guess it was started too soon and next time I guess I'll have to wait for April 1st. But still guess I could fool some of the people then too.
66 Skylark
93 SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 9:29am
Marty,
You don't like the looks of the 2x6? But, it's original! Keep in mind, it was designed by the CC Trailer and Screen Door Company in the building out back of the factory.

Yes, I'll admit that it's not the greatest looking but as many have mentioned, it works great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic