NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 teardown

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 6:55pm
Thanks Joe! Just got confirmation that it is in fact a 2 piece block. I guess our options at this point are

1. get a crank with no wick lines and use a bidirectional seal
2. grind off the LH lines and redo with RH lines
3. new one piece block with Reid's seal

When redoing the lines, how much clearance do you have before you start changing the size of the crank drastically?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 7:18pm
Chris, Number 3, since I believe Joe indirectly confirmed what i was saying about the stroker cranks not having wick lines at all, being designed for later model blocks with one piece seals and the one piece seals are directional. You don't want a "wickless" crank with a "bi" seal, as you're likely to end up mopping your bilge. Those blocks should be somewhere in the dime a dozen price range. Maybe $.11, but not much more.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 7:37pm
Yeah what Reid said and newer crank sometimes also means new flywheel and balencer...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 7:44pm
It was on my 67 where the shop got me a new block as the old one was shot. The didn't know that my crank would no longer fit.. Found that out. The hard way. Got a new crank and got her running but she nearly jumped out the boat.. Found out about the change in external balance weight from 28oz to 50oz the hardway as well.. That's why I left my number...get me a part number for the crank and take some pics of your flywheel and balancer (both sides) and let's
See if we can't make sure u find anything out too late.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 12:18am
Joe, thanks for the heads up. Like Billy said, looks like I need to go on a search for a seasoned block with a 1 piece seal and order some more parts from Race City Marine

We haven't ordered a crank yet so if anyone has suggestions... I'll take them! I've heard an Eagle crank is the way to go but any numbers and corresponding parts would be helpful.

Right now my only concern is that we've already magnifluxed my block, bored it out and it's sitting ready to be built. I'll have to talk to John and see if I can barter my old block with him? Unless someone here has a need for a freshly bored 302 block so I can get my money out of it? If I can work something out so I don't loose too much money I'll be full speed ahead with a stroker, if not I may have reconsider and wait till my next project to build a stroker?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I'm still torn between a 331 and 347 but I've done some reading and am leaning toward a 331, nothing final at this point.

Chris why don't you give Billy a call,he has a 331 for a reason.I think it's something to do to with the length of the rod to stroke angle and the wrist pin being up into the ring lands on a 347.Car wise your not up into the higher rpm's for long but boat wise you can go for miles!

That's precisely why I am a proponent of a 331 vs a 347.

Piston speed is too high to be reliable on a 347, that and those ring lands are in bad spots on 347s.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 11:15am
Well I've decided to use the stock crank on this one. If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten a seasoned one piece block and gone the stroker route.

Does anyone have suggestions on clearances when we put this thing back together? (Joe)

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 8:44pm
Anyone have Eric's shop number? Need to call and order a dampener plate.

Motor should be back sometime this week or early next week. Then it shouldn't be too long before we hit the water!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:51am
877-369-6693
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 8:41pm
Well I got a DA106A Damper on its way from e-basicpower. Thanks again for the help Eric, I owe you a few! That and possibly a new carb were the only things left on my list worth mentioning. I may pick up a DUI and some control cables yet this week.

Any ideas on what carb I should be running with the 302 bored .30 over, gt-40P's, speedpro cam and a performer intake? I believe mine is a 450? Some of the guys I've talked to thought I may need to move up to a 600. Thoughts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 9:41pm
I have the same basic setup Chris.I also have a 600 I'm rebuilding so I can try it out too. Since you already have the 450,why not just trying it? It's always easy to change. Mine was sure running fine last weekend,with JBear and Eddie in the back, it was moving right along
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 10:02am
run the boat then decide
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 11:29am
I agree with Gary and Eric- run the boat first and then decide.

That being said, Id probably opt for the 600. Reid had one on his baby blue 302, and my sister has one on her 302 Mustang, and neither had any driveability issues due to the larger carb.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:14pm
Sounds like a plan guys.

Tim, I know we talked DUI on another thread. Any recommendations?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 1:28pm
Chris, like Ive always said, Im a huge fan of the DUI's. Both of the ones I have run really well. The only detractors I can think of are 1)price- theyre not cheap, 2)looks... sort of subjective, but some argue they look out of place on a vintage CC, especially a Ford, and 3)the PCM 302 *might* have some clearance issues with the thermostat housing. Joe may be able to lend some insight- I know he used one on his 302 Interceptor.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 3:36pm
A well built up 302 will work very well with a 600cfm carb.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 6:39pm
Look what is back in my possession!

Headed to Maui on Friday, still lots of work to do once I get back from vacation...I mean work trip!   

Sorry it's not the Waukesha blue. I decided I'd go with old ford blue out of preference since I can always paint it the darker waukesha later.

It'll be resting in the barn until I get home, can't wait to get home and put it back together.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 9:07pm
Can't wait!
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 2:45am
Bringing this thread back from page 3.

I've been slowly working on getting the 302 back together and in the Ski Tique. I made some decent progress today and will hopefully be close to dropping it in the boat at the end of the week.

Thought I'd share some pictures of my progress.

Shop helper

Set up to put everything back together

Old damper plate

Trans back on

Thanks again to Pete B for taking another distress call from me this afternoon. Everything wen't back together well. I still have some gasket work to do on the circ pump but everything is real close to being bolted back on.

Feeling better about my progress, hope I can get some free time to finish everything up this week.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 10:59am
Looking good Chris.

You didn't miss any water time Saturday, that's for sure.

Good luck getting it together for Memorial day weekend.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 11:08am
Looks good Chris. Did you receive the email I sent you last week?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 8:10pm
Thanks Chris, I don't think it'll be ready for memorial day weekend. I'll be out of town again this friday for a week. Headed to Orlando so I may get to meet up with Jbear and the Godfather for a hooters/factory trip.

Bruce, I did get your email and I apologize for not responding. I have been in and out of town and had terrible service while out in Wyoming. I talked to Reid this morning and told him I'd have to pass on this one. I need to get the Ski Tique back together and then move on to the Skier this summer. Somewhere down the line I'd LOVE to have a 'Cuda but we also have our Chris Craft coming back to us this winter so it'd be put a ways down the list already. I appreciate you guys thinking of me, I'm sure we'll find something in the future!
BrianForsythe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianForsythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 3:21am
Hey guys,
First time posting, love the site. I came across this thread because I have a similar situation. I have a 69 mustang that I am in the process of restoring. The engine is a 302hm that needs to be rebuilt. This project kind of fell into my lap a couple of years ago and it's basically been sitting on hold until now. I was given the original 302 block that was cracked and the rest of the engine accessories, an additional crank, and 2 additional sets of pistons. Two sets have valve reliefs and one set is flat top. The crank is reverse rotation and this is where I'm confused. I guess I assumed I was stuck with this crank because of it's rotation and corresponding parts----distributor/cam, etc. After reading this thread it seems like I may have more options. The older damaged block has been replaced with what I think is a newer style 302----Is there a way to tell the difference? I have picked up GT40P heads and an Edlebrock 2121 intake manifold. I would prefer to do a stroked 331. All of these parts were given to me by my automotive mechanic buddy. Do I need different valve springs? I thought I read somewhere when I first began this project that my major issue would be finding a reverse rotation cam. I know this is a lot to take in---any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
05 Tige 24v
69 CC Mustang 302hm
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 4:46am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I still have some gasket work to do on the circ pump but everything is real close to being bolted back on.

Circ pump is a hot topic lately. Are you able to reuse the old one? I have had a real MFer of a time with mine.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 11:54am
Only you guy's with those fancy motors have those Keegan,he may not even have one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 4:27pm
Sorry Kegan,I didn't realize you were talking about Chris's pump
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 4:44pm
[QUOTE=BrianForsythe] Hey guys,
First time posting, love the site. I came across this thread because I have a similar situation. I have a 69 mustang that I am in the process of restoring. The engine is a 302hm that needs to be rebuilt.QUOTE]

Welcome Brian. Start a new thread so more will see it.Post some pictures too, we love pictures.As to the block, it really does not matter what block you use,but the casting number is in the area above the starter. Post that number and someone will be able to ID. RR cams are available,valve springs will be recommended by the cam manufacture. Reverse cranks difference is in the main seal area.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 4:55pm
Hey guys, just an update on the 302 and my progress so far. Still needing to touch up a few pieces to before alignment, ignition and a carb.

I'm thinking I'll go with a new Mallory distributor and run points unless someone can sway me to go EI....?

I've talked to a few people about the carb but never really made a qualified decision on what I should run with the top end upgrades. I wouldn't mind getting a new carb so any suggestions are more than welcome. Keep in mind we've bored .30 over added gt-40p heads and a performer RPM intake. If I can order something this week I may have time to get it fired up next weekend and have it running for the 4th!

Here is how she sits now...

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 5:26pm
Can you run points in the new Mallory's? I thought they were all electronic now.

Looks awesome
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Can you run points in the new Mallory's? I thought they were all electronic now.

Looks awesome

Not sure Brian, I'm leaning on all you guys for this decision. Ignition is not my strong suit at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic