NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake Skiing Anybody Tried?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake Skiing Anybody Tried?
    Posted: April-21-2011 at 4:58pm
Has anyone tried the new Wake Skis?

It looks like HO and a company called Stereo make them. They're longer than regular trick skis. Like two long skinny wakeboards.

The pics and videos make it look like a ton of fun. Anyone done it?
It seems ideally suited for a cable park, I'm wondering if it would still be fun behind a boat. They're a little pricey to get into it looks like.
http://www.waterskis.com/Wake-Skis-s/175.htm
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 5:16pm
What's up Brian? My buddy and I went in on the first pair bought in Iowa in...2008 I think. We have the first set of HO wake skis. They did however just come out with a new style that is way cool. Little wider makes a big difference.

Another one of my firends is going to pick up the new pair here this week I believe. We have ridden them a little bit, but not behind anything fun. We have just used them with our 90 nautique. Looking forward to riding with a tower and some weight this summer.

They are indeed a very fun set to play around on. A little squirrely due to the rocker in them but they grab pretty well. We can do inside out 180s like a breeze and handle wrap wake to wake 360's. Haven't tried any inverts yet as our wake was a touch too small. It feels like they need a nice rampy one to get some boost. Or, that's how we felt anyways. It is fun to ski around backwards and deep up backwards, do sliders off the dock, take them over the jump ramp, etc...

We will be riding them quite a bit this summer I'm feeling...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 5:38pm
Hey Mike,

That does sound like fun then. I'd just have my boat, for the most part, and no ramps or anything. Although, I do have a friend with a wakeboard boat.

I figure I have the budget for one piece of new gear this summer. So far I have:

-An HO Charger 69 slalom ski
-A fairly generic O'Brien wakeboard with a newer set of CWB lever bindings
-A set of very vintage jobe combo skis

I was thinking the wake skis could be fun cause you could probably go tandem with either a wake-boarder or combo skier. So far, haven't had the chance to go doubles. Plus yeah, they just look like fun.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 5:40pm
Yea if you can fork out the cash they are a fun ride. They are kinda cool for everyone because some chicks don't wanna go wakeboard or take the time to learn but if they know how to ski then you're set. If you know how to water ski you can ride the wake skis. I don't know I mean they are expensive but you have all the other toys you need! ha ha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 7:12pm
Wake Skis are awesome! Several good guys out there, Ryan Jones out of OWC is really good, here is a video of Robb Wruck from the Plum Ski-Ters a D2 team in northern Wisco. Doing his patented Wruckus a 180 spin on the ramp and then does a backflip and lands backwards. Intense, sorry the video is crappy, stole from someone's facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1557719065579&comments&set=t.1674355833&type=1

Pretty sweet if you can get your hands on a pair. YOu can go slower than regular jumping, so they are great for teaching kids how to jump and overal working helis, and flips.. They do flex a bit more, and guys have snapped them off the ramp as well. You can also do your regular rolls and spins off the wake as well. They are a lot of fun!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:41am
wow!!never saw them before!! looks like fun...little pricey though...
will see if someone gets them here...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:47am
wake to small??? just add some ballast and your are set....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:05pm
My wife has a set. Due to the rocker in the ski she says they have a very "wakeboard feel" to them. She has a blast on them.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:33pm
I've never seen these before.

I guess I'll have to simply be one of the earliest to go wakeboarding as I missed this by about 3 years. LOL

These are very cool, a bit pricey now, but I'd love to try these out this summer. If they do better on a rampy wake, my boat would be perfect, especially with the rear seat bottom out and replaced by a fat sac.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:36pm
Yea I know Kap, add weight to the Ski and it'll be a nice wake boat...I just don't like doing that because it isn't a wake boat, it's a ski boat! I used to, but I kinda got over it... :)

Now, with the Sport Nautique...that's a different story...we'll fat that thing up like no other.

ps my buddy Justin just ordered the new set today!!! Too bad the river is 14ft high (4th highest on record) and water temp is 46 degrees...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:24pm
I have some HO wake skis(sorry edit) I'd be willing to sell....they are like new. I'm asking $150. just the skis, no bindings. Email me I can send you pictures if your interested. shawnharrison@verizon.net
Shawn      
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 1:53pm
Wake skates have no bindings. Do you have a pic you can post here?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

wake to small??? just add some ballast and your are set....
dude, it doesn't even look like the driver has room to sit in there with all that gear! haha!
Do you have the same observer laws in Argentina that we have here? Cause this guy would get a ticket for that (and has before)...Johnny Law loves F-ing with me.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:03pm
I don't know how Kap's boat floats...lol
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 5:29pm
horkn, wakeskis have bindings. wakeskates do not. I can post pictures once I get the boat out of storage
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

I have some HO wake skates I'd be willing to sell....they are like new. I'm asking $150. just the skis, no bindings. Email me I can send you pictures if your interested. shawnharrison@verizon.net
Shawn      

We are confused because it appears you are selling the wakeskates as if they are missing bindings when in fact they don't have bindings.

Unless you are playing us for suckers...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

I have some HO wake skates I'd be willing to sell....they are like new. I'm asking $150. just the skis, no bindings. Email me I can send you pictures if your interested. shawnharrison@verizon.net
Shawn      

So you have wake skis for sale? You post said "wake skates".

I've been familiar with wake skates for a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic