NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cutlass bearing questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 1:47am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Was the strut blue in a former life? I've been wrong about this before, but there are some signs of repair to the strut boss?

Strut first; get it loose and see what's underneath. You may have glass work to do. Then you may want to make a mock up with a dowel to see about the strut. Something's way out though, as you see in the pic with the rudder.

And you need some stainless safety wire.

There are signs of hammering on the strut's center section. The holes that look like casting nuns appear to be ground off sections of brass threaded rod.

Outside of prop changes, I have not touched that area before tonight.

I had already clipped the safety wire when I took that pic.

No fiberglass work needs to be done.   That's clean.

I have safety wire from my sport bike, so that is the least of my worries.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 1:57am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

You should be able to straighten the strut.

remove the prop shaft. (if you haven't already)
remove the rudder.
remove the hose and stuffing box from the shaft log.
re-install the strut.

My favorite tool is an old prop shaft.
You can bend the strut back into position just by pushing or pulling on the tool.
Don't get too carried away. Use just a few quick pulls at a time. Take the tool out and check for alignment with your prop shaft.   Not enough, do it again. Too much, bend back the other way.

Al, the strut appears to be about 3/8 to 1/2" in the middle section. Is that reallythat easily bent with a shaft? Can the hull take that kind of stress?

There are stamping id's on it. AF25006

Does that sound like a cc part?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 2:15am
Exact same strut as Robb's

Yes you can pull it.
It's not that far out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 9:43am
Tom,
Yes, Al's method of strut straightening does work however if you feel uncomfortable about it, you can take it to Northside prop Take your prop in for a tune up while you're at it.

Regarding the "nubs" on the strut, are you sure they aren't slotted head brass set screws? It was common to use them and then I have seen the heads ground off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 3:06pm
There are plenty of struts out there that do not have set screws.
If my strut did not have set screws, I probably would not add them.
I've never seen a cutlass back-out in a non-set strut.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 3:57pm

There are plenty of struts out there that do not have set screws.
If my strut did not have set screws, I probably would not add them.
I've never seen a cutlass back-out in a non-set strut.

I have so I'd add the set screws. It was riding against the prop hub and actually wore a grove in it. Struts are notorious for poor quality machining.

Al,
What is the tolerance of fit for the cutlass to the strut bore??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 4:38pm
Pete, I believe you are right about the ground off brass set screws.

Now, to get those out, simply punch a hole in the center, then drill it out with increasing size drill bits?

I have one line cut through the old bushing off to one side of the ground off set screws. Should I get the old bushing out first, or drill first and that might pop the old cutlass bushing out?

I'm comfortable with bending the strut on the boat.... for now at least.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 4:53pm
I would have straightened the strut before removing the old cutlass. Or at least get it close. Then final adjust with the new cutlass.

OD tolerance should be plus to minus .001

Sounds like an isolated instance where the installer was having difficulty and started removing material from the bore instead of taking it to a press.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 5:07pm
Tom,
I'd pull the cutlass before you drill the old set screws out. If you have any problems drilling, they don't have to go back in the exact same spot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 7:43pm
Cool. I'm doing it in the right order. :)

The strut moves easier than I expected. Now I need to get it bent a little back tocenter since it moved easier than I thought it would. Shouldn't be a problem.

After I get it straight I will take the old cutlass out, then try to get the ground off set screws out. If that can't be done I will drill them out and at worst drill and tap a new one for a set screw. I've got a 1/4-20 tap and handle.   Thanks for the offer if the set screws, but my local hw store has them.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 1:37am
The coupling and shaft are within specs per my friend. It's definitely an interference fit and needs heat on the coupling.   The shaft is true as well.

Now I am done for the day, but once that darn cutlass bushing comes out I can drill out and tap the brass studs, then install the cutlass.   Hopefully kendor marine has 3m 5200 sealant.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

While the motor may be MA a little, I think the real issue is the strut being not in line with the DS.

Im sure Pete and Al will get you squared away, but its worth mentioning that the above statement implies that you really dont understand the concept of alignment. As Pete would say, "it starts from the strut forward."
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 9:14pm
Tom,   Would you measure the length of your prop shaft for me.

Thanks
AT
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 11:53pm

Tom,   Would you measure the length of your prop shaft for me.

Thanks
AT

I was thinking about that yesterday from rob's thread.

50" alan.

Yes, i'll be watching the alignment vid a few times.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 10:31pm
wow, what a PITA the old cutlass bearing is to get out.

I used 2 different presses at work to no avail.

I just now took 2 more cuts ( total of 3 all the way through the old bushing)with the hacksaw and it still does not want to budge.

Is it possible the bass from the old bushing bonded to the strut???

It looks like it is the original bushing. Could 30+ years in the same spot "weld" it in place? In order for me to get the boat out on the lake on Friday (day off) I will have to get the bushing out no later than tomorrow, get the new one in, and have the 5200 get applied tomorrow night.

Maybe now that I have 3 cuts in the bushing it will want to come out of the strut with the press again??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 11:05pm
Tom,
I really don't know why you even removed the strut let along trying to press out the old cutlass. All it takes is one cut with the hack saw our sawsall to relieve the press fit (don't worry about cutting into the strut slightly) and then a punch to curl it in on itself. It should come right out!!

Maybe Charlie and myself pissing in the lake a couple years ago really did have an impact on the corrosion down by you bonding the brass together!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 11:20pm
Go Medevil on it!!!
As if you are two separate gorillas!!!
Sharp screwdriver and a hammer time.
Once you catch an edge, just keep curling the thin brass till it falls out.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 12:26am
I did get a portion of it out, but it really is being stubborn. Way more stubborn than you would ever imagine.

I'm thinking that that 3/4" wide bit x 1.5" long of material out of it will allow me to press it out.

I'll try to go ape on it in a minute.

The old sealant was very gummy, and pretty sparse. It sealed, but I bet that it is not any where near as good as modern 5200.   
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 3:52am
Ok, I got it out, AND the new cutlass installed. I also drilled and tapped the 2 set screw holes before I put the new one in.    I went double 245 lb ape sheet on it. I had to as well.

Even without the set screws, I have a feeling it would never back out. Dish soap did help after the bushing warmed up about half way in.

Tomorrow I will re attach the coupling after I ensure strut alignment.

I think I will use the gas grill to heat the coupler up so it does not heat the house up. Plus it might taste better.

I'm definitely on pace to get the boat in the water on Friday.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:19pm
So, 5200 sealant... reading about it I hear some really nasty things.

Is there any other sealant that you guys would use? 4200 seems like a better idea as the 5200 is nearly non removeable.

The putty that was on my boat before def was not 5200 as it was very soft and didn't put up any resistance to pull the strut out.

I see sikaflex is another product people use.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:22pm
Use 5200.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:30pm
And make sure it doesn't get in my hair;)
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:42pm
I've never used 4200.

Anything other than 5200, you will be re-sealing in 3 to 5 years.

Anyway enjoy boating this weekend.

And get me a new pic without the "Lightning Rod" and crusty water-line.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:51pm
Also some "Sweet Baby Rays" BB-Q sauce might make the coupling more delicious.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2011 at 4:52pm
Will do Al:)

The lightning rod won't probably get put up on Friday becasue we can't use dogs legally as spotters in WI. I wonder if a seeing eye dog could be used legally as a spotter?
The crusty water line is from Pete wizzing in the river. LOL

Thanks guys for all your help so far. Should be finished after work tonight.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 1:28am
Tom,

Please let us know how that coupler reinstall goes.

Donald
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Tom,

Please let us know how that coupler reinstall goes.

Donald

Very easy donald!

I was a little nervous about the coupling cooling off too quickly. I had every possible tool handy, as well as extra hot pads and my fiance around in case.   Yes it was hot, but very easy.   1 hour at 500° and it was ready. I tried to fit the coupling to the shaft when both were ambient, and I wasn't able to fit it on. The heating of the coupling is a nice trick.
I owe the wife to be, a new hot pad due to rust and crud. Good thing hot pads are on our wedding registry.

Should I use blue loctite onthe strut bushing set screws?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 8:45am
Tom,
Glad to here the coupling half install went well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the loctite. If you have some put it on but if not, those things have stayed there many years before the stuff was invented.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2011 at 12:31pm
Good for you Tom. Re-installing my coupler did not go so well, as you may have read. Anyway, sounds like you got things whipped back into shape and will be able to enjoy the long weekend. Gotta love when a plan comes together! Have a safe weekend.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2011 at 11:25am
Yep, it did go well. Last night I finished putting the goretex packing in, that was much easier than I thought. I put 2 pieces in first, then got it hand tight, and installed the third piece. I tightened the packing nut as tight as it was before, and I tried to use the hose to get water to go from the inside out. That test allowed no visible water to drip, so it must be good. I'll bring wrenches to adjust today if necessary. I washed the bilge out and used some soap to get some crud out of the bilge.

The DS turns easily by hand now. I will have to re check alignment when in the water though.

I just have to find my SS safety wire and put that on the coupler bolts.

Alan, I took the top half of the lightning rod out of the boat just for today, but didn't have a chance to do any vacuuming as I wanted to.   There isn't a scum line right now either and shouldn't be today since the water where I am going today is crystal clear.

Robb,   yeah, you've had a bit of fun with your marty.   Have a safe and fun 4th everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic