NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 50>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 12:21pm
Sounds great!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 12:38pm
.......... Saaaaahhhhweeeet!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 1:36am
I've been able to manage a few days work on the hemi over the summer so here's where I'm at

After getting the motor running I stripped it of all accesorries , intake and exhaust manifolfs, etc. so I could clean up the parts and block.

After a good scrubbing I sprayed everything with a 2 part epoxy primer.

After a little research I came up with what I think is the correct color for the engine and had some 2 part enamel mixed up and started spraying.

I then stripped and polished all the bronze and brass cooling system plumbing and gave it a quick coat of clear laquer.

Also sent the valve covers out for chrome and started putting it all back together.

I was getting ready to install the carbs and thought I should clean them up a little first so I gave them a shot of carb cleaner not realizing they had been rattle can painted, you can imaging the mess as the paint just melted off so now I am going to pick up a couple of gasket sets and detail them as well.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 1:38am
Alan,

You always do first class work. Looks great.

Donald
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 1:55am
Nice work on the motor as usual.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:30am
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

great job Alan!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:55am
Okaaay, you have softened me up with the new photos of the hemi and I will look at the possible sale of your Deluxe as a opportunity. You would not know this but my brother in law that bought my Deluxe bought an Air Nautique this year for the very same reasons you are getting a 200. He WAS going to sell his Deluxe too.
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

Okaaay, you have softened me up with the new photos of the hemi and I will look at the possible sale of your Deluxe as a opportunity. You would not know this but my brother in law that bought my Deluxe bought an Air Nautique this year for the very same reasons you are getting a 200. He WAS going to sell his Deluxe too.
bj

Haaaa, I knew you couldn't stay mad at me for too long BJ.

Hemi looks a little different since you last saw it, thanks again for the help in procuring that bad boy.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 11:58am
Alan if I didn't know you any better I'd say that the hull and the motor look like they are being prepped for placement in a museum and not for being on the water.

Hope I'm still around 30 years from now when your new 200 still looks like she 's never been in the water. Congrats on pulling the trigger. I'm sure that both of you are all smiles these days.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 11:59am
lookin' sweet man. Polishing all the parts really makes it pop.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 12:46am
Beautiful Alan. Chrome valve covers are so shiny you can't even read them! Still using Phillip?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 12:53am
You seem a man possessed to make certain your Hurricane looks better than Dana's Sport 200! A marital competition where everyone wins!

Fantastic, Alan.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:29am

WOW,

I love this thread !!!!!!

Alan with his magic touch.....

Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 12:02pm
Amazing work so far, Alan. You're very talented. I can't wait for a ride in the final product. That Hemi is going to rock the lake.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 6:35pm
Well Hurricane Season 3 has kicked off.

This years plans include rebuilding the deck and engine hatch doors, finish transom planking, fair and sand the entire boat, Install the rub rail, install the forward splash rails, build and install the rear splash rails, get the entire boat stained and sealed. I think thats ambitious and dependant on free time but I really want to get the boat sealed. I've been concerned about the differing moisture levels over the last 2 years causing problems, so far it hasn't affected the boat at all but I still feel pressured to seal it up.

So after a trip to the lumber yard last weekend I started roughing in the first layer of plywood for the decking. I special ordered some ribbon grain African Mahogany for the deck and transom. LL Johnson came through for me again as the stock I picked up was absolutely beautiful.

The first step was to bend the coaming boards and then fit and install the cover boards.

Then I went about fitting the inner ply skin.

After both sides were fitted it was a couple coats of CPES and then everything was installed this morning with 5200 and temporary screws.

Next weekend I'll start fitting the mahogany planking on the foreward deck and reproduce the arrow motif.

Enjoy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 7:05pm
Alan!!!!
I'm sure glad you got back into the Hurricane With all your distractions lately, I thought you may have forgotten about her---

Now, when it comes down to the finishing, I sure know you have an excellent partner to help with the roll and tip!

I've got to take a drive down one of these days!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 7:39pm
Alan, your Hurricane restoration is the best part of winter. Always, miss boating and skiing during the winter...but sure do look forward to the Hurricane updates!
What a great boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 7:56pm
Thanks Jim, I suffer the same boating withdrawals as most here do so this project helps me too.

Hope I can stay at it, between work and personal we have quite a bit of travel planned this winter. I'll do my best for ya!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 8:57pm
Looks great Alan, nice to come in see your progress after the first snow shovel of the season. Keep it up.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 10:15pm
That is going to be one nice boat when you finish Alan. Look forward to seeing it some day!
83Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 11:47pm
Yes guys, after being a part of the Arrighi Nautique Delivery Team last month and see The Hurricane in person these pictures don't do her justice. Needless to say, those of us there popped a few beers and crawled over both the hull and motor and just sat in awe of a true craftsman at work. Alan would be able to re-coop some of the money spent restoring her just by selling tickets to get a chance to ride in her. Great work as always Magic Man!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 7:57am
Great start for the week thanks Alan
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 9:10am
Its about time you got back to it Alan and stop playing with that new bling boat.
I plan to attend which ever CCfan gathering you decide to break bubbly over the bow. So get back to work the exchange rate is heading in the wrong direction at the moment.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 10:29am
Can't wait to see her Alan!! don't stop now!!! almost there!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 2:26pm
Alan, I am so impressed with the terminology and techniques you use alone. Most people would slap some patches on and drop an engine in and then be constantly fighting all the problems that would be cropping up with a boat of this age. And more than likely giving up. It's more like you bought a pattern for a boat and now you are building it! I think all of us that can truly appreciate this beauty and the work involved in it's salvation are happy that it fell into your capable hands. I hope that somehow we are all helping you stay motivated. What a job.
Cant wait to see some of that Mahogany!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

Alan, I am so impressed with the terminology and techniques you use alone. Most people would slap some patches on and drop an engine in and then be constantly fighting all the problems that would be cropping up with a boat of this age. And more than likely giving up. It's more like you bought a pattern for a boat and now you are building it! I think all of us that can truly appreciate this beauty and the work involved in it's salvation are happy that it fell into your capable hands. I hope that somehow we are all helping you stay motivated. What a job.
Cant wait to see some of that Mahogany!

Thanks for the kind words and motivation. This year has been a bit stressful and I was really having a hard time getting started on the boat. Just a few weeks ago I was contemplating skipping a winter. I look at the task ahead and wonder if I have the ability and determination to keep going. I knew all along that this is more a test of myself than anything to do with a wooden boat, there are constant doubts and challenges but I keep getting to the next step.

Happily after one weekend of garage time and I realize that working on the boat is exactly what I needed to get away from the daily grind.

So glad I got my butt in gear and hope to be able to provide a little entertainment over the winter. Thanks again everyone, it is surely a pleasure to share this here on CCfan.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 4:11pm
Just so everyone knows, this project is even more impressive in person!

Alan, that YOU for sharing! If you ever need a helping hand we'd be more than happy to make the trip over!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 4:35pm
Hey there Chris, you're typing like Pete with all exclamations.

that YOU Alan, that YOU!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 4:38pm
...guess thats what I get for trying to post during a meeting.

Spell check is optional
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 10:04pm
I can't believe it's been 3 years already,this really does help get us thru the winter,not sure Alan would agree
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 50>
  Share Topic