NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 8:08pm
No worries doc. I am trying to get to the bottom of that whole engine removal story.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 8:30pm
Eric,
You're question wasn't really a trick question but you need to think about the situation some more. You are correct in stating that a blower of any type does not affect or change the compression ratio, however any blower will effect the final TDC compression. By boosting the pressure of air into the cylinder above atmospheric (not relying on vacuum from the piston down stroke) you are in essence getting more air into the cylinder and ending up with a higher PSI at TDC compression!! More air/fuel mix is good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 10:29am
oh believe me Pete, Ive thought about it for 20 years.
in reality its a loaded answer.
with all intentions if we really boiled it down, a roots type is used to boost cylinder compression, i would also think the compressed air from a supercharger would also assist in pushing the piston down on the intake stroke and eliminating vacuum.
I think the turbos purpose is to supply more atoms of oxygen without the intent of boosting cylinder pressure (even though it may), I would totally agree that it would raise pressure in the cylinder, but not much, and that is not its purpose.
really, over the years, ive never had to go to this extent to think about it, but will do some more research. I will report back
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 11:37am
have you ever watched a vacuum gauge on a blown big block? pretty much non existent it actualy moves like a tach swinging up and down
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

have you ever watched a vacuum gauge on a blown big block? pretty much non existent it actualy moves like a tach swinging up and down

hence the term "forced induction"

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 12:03pm
did some reading and some of the major differences are the zero returns on energy, turbos were more designed for aircraft because of the different pressures with altitudes, we know at sea level pressure is around 14.7 and with a boost of 10 psi and then factor in the negative pressure on the intake stroke. the biggest thing is the horsepower required to operate a mechanically connetcted roots type blower compared to a turbo which requires no mecahnical connection to the engine.
yes, it does compress the cylinder compression. this has been haunting me for 20 years, and now i will sleep tonight
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's NAPA's own brand Pete.

Gary,
I ended up going this route with Napa's own brand of carb cleaner. I couldn't find a source for the Berrymans other than ordering it on line and then having to deal with the Haz Mat shipping. So, I have a 5 gal. pail with the basket coming into my Napa tomorrow. $150 later!! !!! However, it wil last me a lifetime plus I didn't want to take the chance that my carbs wouldn't fit into the 1 gal. size!! My Napa guys swear by this stuff being a good product. Time will tell!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:06am
that stuff just doesnt have the bite anymore
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 3:33pm
fanofccfan,

Still looking for a Chryler Marine Engine? Here's a 440 in St Louis area for $800.00

-Phil

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2523319265.html
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 3:58pm
Just the word Jasper would tend to make me a tad nervous.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

fanofccfan,

Still looking for a Chryler Marine Engine? Here's a 440 in St Louis area for $800.00

-Phil

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2523319265.html

thanks phil...i will get in touch with him.   anyone coming north and east out of st. louie?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 4:19pm
how does this look? good bad or indifferent
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 11:39pm
Depending on price, it's at least a bunch of marine, and possibly reverse rotation parts that will be very useful! If the block is trash, you might get a good RR cam to re-grind, or thermostat housing, oil pan and pick-up, motor mounts, bell housing, exhaust manifolds (in case you sell the turbo equipment). Buy it! I mean how much for the lot?!
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 11:46pm
If it's the $800 jasper stuff, I'd offer $500 or less....unless he can run it for you on a hose without making a milkshake in the pan, which might indicate a good block without freeze damage. Again, is it standard, or reverse?
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 11:55pm
"Boat was used one weekend after complete Jasper rebuild."
And left for how many years??
All things considered I'd still would have probably hooked onto her and dragged her home by now if the boat was in New England.

Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 2:24am
he said he had it running two days ago. 9 hrs away but for 800 it comes with everything i need. motor (parts) and tranny (parts).    
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 11:25am
seems to me just the parts would make it worth it.. if you consider the time investment tracking down every odd bracket nut and bolt.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 3:28pm
BTW engine comes with acc...(hull, trailer, etc etc...)
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:00am
The one in St. Louis got away from me. It was everything I needed but could not get there in time. Still looking.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 8:23pm
Well Bill, Sorry it didn't work out.   Maybe it was not meant to be.   Hopefully the next one will be the right one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 10:43am
I got a friend who was recently hired to dispose of about 6 old wood cruisers at the local marina....I will ask
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:34am
Thanks guys. That one in St. Louis. Would have been too cheap and too easy anyway.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 3:46am
Was winning bidder on a 1969 southwind that happens to have a 318 Chrysler and tranny.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 10:17am
empty handed here, I even got a call from a friend about a 440 and called another guy and came up empty handed, be patient, boats not going anywhere
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 10:21am
The price was right and at least I have something to start with. If a big block happens to show up all the better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:55am
The trailer alone was worth 455! I was eyeing it myself but it was too far and my wallet is too thin! I'm in need of a bow rail and other southwind parts if you are interested in parting it out.
Scott
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:33pm
yes i will be parting it out and yes i thought the deal was very much worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:42pm
Hopefully what you get for the parts you'll be able to pay for the big block. I'm really pulling for you to gets those turbos spooled up!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:06pm
I talked with the seller as well but was too far for me to be really interested in another parts boat. Thats a great buy for your project and will be a nice combo to get you on the water at least!

Let me know if you're going to get rid of the bucket seats, thats really the only thing I was interested in from that boat.   cmars(at)baproductionsinc.com
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic