Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6465666768 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 6:25pm
Maybe if he had some Lane Bowers "Dawg Paws" on he might have...oh wait...never mind...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 6:57pm
did some footing over the weekend...

yesterday I started again to try back deeps on the boom, It was almost 1 year since last time I tryed them.

I used the neck brace and the extreme footers shoes, after a couple of attemps, I was able to plant both feet, drag some and finally fell backwards, almost there in a couple of attemps.
I think problem might be speed issue as I hed this friend that was the first time pulling be bacerds.
had to quit then cause wind made water conditions crappy...
will try next outing...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 6:58pm
boy that neck brace is kinda stiff and bulky! made my head feel like a tomato!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 8:09pm
Kap

When I get my feet touching the water I bend at my waist and try to shove my chest to the bottom of the lake while arching my back. I am guessing 20 mph at that time I pop up and the driver takes me to 36 or so depending on what I want to do. Good luck.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 8:20pm
is it fine to learn them with the shoes (extreme footers), or better go barefoot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:34pm
you'll get used to the neck brace...kind of.
yes, you can learn the back deep with the shoes, and learn to ski for some distance bacerds on them too- then go to the feet.

don't try to solve any problems with more speed- just a nice gradual pull up and out to low 30's at first is enough. you will need to resist "Popping up" or you'll get pulled over bacerds(thats what the neck brace is for) too much acceleration will pull you out the back too

bend at waist is key, leave head down but look out the back(not down at water)waist bent til you are up and skiing, then slowly straighten up waist just a little(always looking out at the horizon-for balance)
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:36pm
actually my last post will be for barefoot-
the speed on shoes should be only 30 max.
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:37pm
I think I learned on mike siepels plastic cutting boards that he sold. They were the only training aids available for me. By all means try them if you have them. Speed can be reduced then as well. Bacerds opens up a whole new dimension of fun. Keep trying. Once you get it you will be amazed how easy it comes the next time.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 1:12pm
Here is a tip that worked for me, that I got from Brad (Barracuda) that made all the difference when I was learning. Some above have touched on it. A lot of instructors/instructors have you focus on pressing down with your chest to get up. That is all I focused on. Although a part of it, I think it is a small part. Much more critical is what you do with your legs, once you are planing on you belly with your feet planted. At this point driver speeds up. In one smooth and combined motion, legs come together, feet go from pointing out to pointing down and most critical, legs drop down and you bend at waist to push legs down. With that tip I went from very rare success to almost 100 percent success. Pushing your chest down with legs spread and trying to stand up at that point can cause some wicked groin pulls, I found.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 7:36pm
I just keep hearing Lane Bower through the Headset speakers, "bend over, bend over, bend over..." Like Larry said, I think that is more of the secret then pushing your chest to the bottom of the lake. If you are trying to bend at the waist, you chest is naturally going to go down, as your supporting most of your weight there (initially). Another trick is when you are in the glide (riding on your chest with legs apart) focus on really relaxing and continue to relax as you let the boat/boom pick you up off the water as you bend at the waist and as Larry said smoothly bring your legs together and feet down. Turning your feet down is the "power" the point where you will start to transfer weight from your belly to your feet.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 8:31pm
Bend ankles not toes.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 7:10pm
my barefooting is on hold for a while, engine problems....
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 8:27pm
That sucks Seb!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 6:16am
Ok I think everybody has seen warren Miller's films and his company really does a great job editing and commenting and what do you know? they posted one on waterski wipeouts!!!

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 6:28am
And the goPro continues to produce quality videos

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 7:38pm
From sometime in December- yes, it is good to be a Californian.

This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 8:03pm
ya da maaannn!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 8:06pm
Very clean, especially in consideration of it being long line without the benefit of a little bit of lift from the shortline/boom combo. Tho your tow point still looks pretty high, standard fly-hi/tower or super fly-hi? Thats not your or Roy's boat is it, sounds loud like a more vintage boat, but that could be because the camera looks like it was hanging off the stern.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

It's Willie's Malibu with the BI tower and super fly high.(It used to be on my Sanger, we moved the whole set up over)

I am just as comfortable doing the sideslide on a standard flyhigh at this point in time.

As strange as it sounds-it may be a little easier longline, you can lean more forward on the longline for some reason??? as opposed to off the boom/5 ft handle I lean more away.

However, with a high high boom(overhead) and a 2 or 3 foot (wrapped) handle is the best way to learn it. I see alot of people trying to do it but they are putting too much weight on the "show foot" as Lane calls it, that's the one just skimming the water, the weight is mostly on foot closest to wake(which dictates which side of the wake you do it on) the heel of the weighted foot is actually forward a little bit.

I have tried the reverse and I am not getting it, just can't get the weight transferred correctly...more high boom practice needed.    
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:33am
Very nice!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:46am
That is awesome! How fast?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:54am
43/44 there abouts
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:31pm
AWESOME!

Why did you move all the stuff off the Sanger?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

43/44 there abouts

that´s the speed for the ss on the long line?
on the boom whats the needed speed?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:47pm
Moved the tower off because it was a pain to fold up and down since I keep my boat in the garage, it really is not designed to be folded up and down alot. It's fine if you do not need to regularly fold it up and down. Willie keeps his boat outside and he never folds down the tower just lays down the SFH.

On the boom side slides can be done on the shoes at 29-30, barefoot at 38-42. I usually use Scarpa cut down shoes.

Andre DV likes 44+
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 6:34pm
now I see why a 50+ mph boat is a must...
44 on a nautique is almost to the limit...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2012 at 2:42am
There are really very few, as in very very few people who "need" 50. At 50 I am skiing on a tiny spot on my heel and can't steer at all.

43-44 is plenty fast to do most everything for almost anyone.

Roys new Sanger does 49---just wait til his wife runs him up wide open to 48 or so accidently, hehehehehawhaw

You do not want to fall at those speeds...trust me.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2012 at 6:22pm
wakes in New Zealand

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 9:51pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:53am
They should call it the Desert Storm
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6465666768 152>
  Share Topic