Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6566676869 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:53am
Ya, like that better than "Camo". I thought the Eagle SOCOM sounded cool too.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 7:45am
Which start methods do you guys prefer? My barefooting partner and spent last Sunday working on tumble ups using the 5ft. rope on the boom. Prior to that, we' had been working on 3 point, 1 foots, stance etc. directly on the boom. We were both able to tumble up within the first couple of attempts but they were sloppy (especially for me). They weren't that difficult. I have been able to do a deepwater start but positively hate it.   Which start do you guys prefer?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 10:12am
Tumble up for me. Boom or long line. They will get prettier with practice and remember. Handle to hips.
fishslayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 1:04pm
I tumble up as well, but keep in mind when I have gone to barefoot schools they always have students hook toes over the 6' rope and start off on your back/butt. (saves energy they say). just be sure not to rush standing up. "butt glide" forever... then 3 point.... then up slowly. that is the key. do not plant your feet fast/hard. as your core gets more tired you will have tendency to just drop your feet from the glide, resist resist resist that temptation. send us pix as you improve good luck.
We all have the need for speed at some point in our lives.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 1:56pm
I actually like the deep up (feet forward), I tape my nose, so water isn't a problem, I can't figure out how to cheek out, so I just plane out, go to the 3 point and then push up, then cross the wake to get to the curl. It's weird, when I do tumble turns I have no problems, but when I try to tumble up, I get all squirrely on my back, I think my elbows start getting wild and then so does the ride...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:42pm
Feet forward longline and tumble up short
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Feet forward longline and tumble up short

+1
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 3:08pm
LL always feet forward..short line I do both...
depends on the mood I´m having...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 11:18pm
thanks guys, here's one of my first attempts

One of my first tumble up attempts
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 11:33pm
handle to the hip and glide..you are planting the feet to soon
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 1:00am
Wow, Brute force! Lets add more technique before something strains.

You rolled with the handle in front of (or, above) your head, you will flop like kiver on the dock.

Like Kapla sez, pull the handle to the hip, and keep it there.

Pull it into your chest and roll as you push it to the side your hip.

Prior, Learn to ride 3-point with confidence so you don't rush the plant. Better yet, practice going from standing to 3-point and back.

pull them knees in and lay your feel FLAT (no stabbing heals) on the water SLOWLY, just under your azz. If you think your feet are touching your azz, they are halfway there.

Also, the boat speed seemed excessive to me on the start.
Find a speed in the high twenties or low thirties where you can roll and ride a three point forever. when the driver sees you have rotated and riding forward 3-point, he can roll it up to rabbit as you apply more pressure down, not out. Handle must be forcibly pushed down to the hips
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 1:26am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Wow, Brute force! Lets add more technique before something strains.

Also, the boat speed seemed excessive to me on the start.

actually all through out. You should be able to ride that 3 point around 28 to 30, practice that, not only will it give you confidence, its the ultimate defensive position.

I second the feet to the azz, flex your ankle like your trying to touch your toes to you shin (don't lift/bend your toes) you want to keep that foot flat. when you push up, your doing exactly that pushing up, not stabbing your heals. you should be able to do this at 38 to 40 mph. Remember slower is safer.

Gotta love the effort though, keep at it, your footin! Have fun! keep video taping
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 1:50am
well looks like I get driver of the year accolades lol! That was the first time either of us had tried the tumble up turn so we weren't sure as to how fast to be going. On the previous run when I got up it felt too slow, so we decided to try it around 36-38. When he started bouncing on his back I backed the throttle off a bit(noticeable if you had audio on), but I'm not sure if that helped or hindered as I immediately had to get back on it when I saw Steve stand up. Oddly enough we had both said that we probably needed to work on staying in 3point a little longer to give the driver time to start slower and be able to ramp it up before we stood up. I'll try to get my run up tomorrow and you guys can take a laugh and critique it.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 2:16am
John, your driving was good given that it was our first time doing this. These guys intend the criticism constructively. I'm sure they'll find issue with my driving when you post your attempts. We're just learning bro. This is an excellent thread with lots of good amateur footers.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 2:25am
very first attempt for your amusement. I'm so sore it hurts to sneeze
very first tumble up attempt

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:11pm
For your viewing pleasure I present "Brute Strength vs. Lack of Skill"

1st Ever Short Line Attempt

If I can get my 2nd run uploaded, I actually show a little more improvement in the 3point. Oddly enough even though my brain was saying pull handle to hip, maintain 3-point, shoulders back... My body was saying Spin the F$#@ around and stand up already

Per everyone's suggestions I think on the next outing we're gonna slow the speed down to 30ish and practice the tumble technique and 3-point mastery.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:16pm
You should be going forward in the three point... You had the right idea in the video. Handle to the hip will give you a lot more stability, so you won't be flopping so much. Nice Head Packer to end it!!!

Remember when your practicing the 3 point, keep those knees together. Knees together feet to the butt, knees together feet to the butt, knees together feet to the butt...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:31pm
You need a bit of clean up, but that was a good run! A few tips:

- Lift your leading hip a touch and you wont catch it and bounce tumbling up. The 2nd half of that attempt was very good.

- Once youre spun around and facing forward, do NOT get impatient. Youre plant was a little squirelly because you hadnt settled from the tumble up yet. Once you stop spinning and swinging and start tracking straight, it will be much easier to get both feet in the water at the same time. Do everything slowly.

- Otherwise, your plant looked awesome! The fact that you had your feet under your a$$ and stood up nice and easy is what allowed you to pull it off. Nicely done.

- Once standing, straighten your arms. Bend your knees a touch too. Your form isnt bad, but youre awfully proud (straight). Skiing just a *touch* more defensively until youre more comfortable will help avoid those head packers.

- Boat speed looks too fast when youre on your feet. If youre under 200 lbs, then 32-34 MAX.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:40pm
Oh, one other thing, your definitely on the right path because from about 0:16 to 0:22 it's nothing but ear to ear smile on your face. As long as you see that, all is GOOD and not much else matters!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:54pm
Appreciate the input, yea that faceplant/piledriver at the end knocked the poo out of me. My neck was sore for the next 2 days. Im still not positive my name is really John or if my wife is just playing games!

Man it was a heck of a rush getting off the boom and onto the rope. Whole new game, but my smile says it all.
fishslayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 2:08pm
we have all been there, the pain fades the next trip you when go and start those tumble turns and butt glide and feel the rush of footting.
We all have the need for speed at some point in our lives.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 5:25pm
After far to much tiime off the water (since New Years Day) I have finally been able to get back to my feet. Tomorrow is going to be rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncX73SZbs6c
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 5:34pm
Trying the link thing again.....

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 7:55pm
I think you guys look good, slow the acceleration a little bit, don't rush, -don't rush-, don't look down(don't look at your feet on the water) look where you are going, more knee bend, let arms out straight as you get up, keep knee bend.

Use the boom directly to practice stand up sit downs , one foots, hops, one foot stand ups. The boom can always be used to get you better for the rope(avoiding faceplants) Directly on the boom is how you learn to sideslide. People sometimes feel they need to "graduate" from the boom and not go back but that's a mistake, it's a tool to make you a better barefooter faster.
I love a fun boom run.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 9:52am
Still uploading inept I guess -last try here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncX73SZbs6c&feature=g-upl
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 10:54am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 10:57am
Nice skiing and looks like a nice place to ski.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 10:43pm

Looks like it's gonna be a real nice day for footin
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 11:21pm
OH MY!!!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2012 at 2:47pm
Footing lessons with Tim for Eric and I

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/wakeboardin2k4/410a3dd2.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/wakeboardin2k4/50fa5004.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/wakeboardin2k4/ac88f923.jpg
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/wakeboardin2k4/50486086.jpg
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6566676869 152>
  Share Topic