Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surfing behind a Barefoot?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87 BAREFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87 BAREFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfing behind a Barefoot?
    Posted: July-13-2012 at 8:12pm
Hi all,
       Has anyone tried to wakesurf behind a Barefoot Nautique? More specifically does anyone know the right combo of ballast i need? Ive tried a few different things, but can't seem to go for more than about 10 seconds after throwing the rope in....someone help! i need to get this figured out.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 8:19pm
That's always been my issue behind anyboat, even my friends X-10 with 3000lbs of ballasts lol.

Have you surfed before?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 11:13pm
What is the water depth?

I have found that it is harder to surf in shallow water.

Don't know the physics, just my experience.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DieselCash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselCash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 11:15pm
Surfing is all about finding the sweet spot and fighting to stay in it.

10 seconds in it sounds good, practice and beer will make it better!

But, I think beer makes everything better!
1992 Sport Nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:02pm
My brother did it behind mine. We had three people on one side in the back, and he rode right down the lake.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:00am
definetely you need to find a good balance, let go the rope when you feel its not pulling you. The more ballast you put the larger the wake!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:13pm
...more ballast more wake to a point. I have a 92 Excel and still haven't been able to get a wave good enough to let go of the rope. I have had folks behind the boat who know how to wake surf so I know its not just my lack of skills. I had 2100 lbs of ballast plus people and have moved bags and people around like crazy to the point that I cant get the boat moving enough to go. Deep V boats are supposed to be great for wakesurfing but I'm about to give up. I'm getting a bunch of spray from the bottom of the boat that seems to be really messing with things. The face of the wake is short. More and more weight up front doesn't seem to change things much.

I've heard of people surfing being the BFN's and Excel's but I have never talked to anyone who has done it successfully.
'92 Excel
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 1:47pm
Excel's don't surf. I don't know why that is, but there just isn't any push at all. Of course my son wouldn't believe this and had to have a surf board for his birthday to find out. I was thinkinging maybe to wave just had a short sweet spot or something, but after pulling slowly all the way up 25 ft of rope to the platform, not once did it even hint that it was going to get slack. Might be the platform, I don't know and am not really intrested in finding out. The boat was running almost the same RPM's as I foil at so I see no reason to waste that much fuel on something that can't get any air and seems to only be slightly above tubing on the skill level from watching the neighbors.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

seems to only be slightly above tubing on the skill level from watching the neighbors.

With a big clean wake you can really do some fun things, but otherwise a crappy wake is just wasting gas.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 6:32pm
Staying in the pocket requires a little more skill than you'd think. It's definitely fun when you can let the rope go and surf for a while.

Grab yourself one of those G23s. They surf awesome
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 8:53pm
Really, it's for wake skaters that are scared to jump, that's why Hollywood sees so much promise in it. Can you do a few things, sure, but really you can find better surf at the TX coast which isnt saying much.   I live at the amateur lake, everyone here is 5 or 10 years behind, 95% of the wakeboarders can't get inverted and I won't see but maybe 3 surfers who can let go of the rope here this year.   Half of them ride on the side opposite of the way the boat is leaning, that should give you an idea of what I'm having to deal with.
87 BAREFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87 BAREFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 8:02pm
KileyB- I'm having the exact same problem with my barefoot. it doesn't matter how much weight i put on it, or where i put it i cant get a good wave. Tons of backwash comming off the prop right where i need to be, I'm also about to give up. I LOVE the boat, and the 454 is awesome, but i might have to sell it and get something that i can surf behind. Like you, i thought this deep V would make a good surfer, i believe we have the same hull?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 1:43pm
Just for grins since you have the ballast, take the platform off and see what happens. I didn't notice that there was anything strange coming off the platform, but there is something causing the wave to come off the boat at a completely different angle than other boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic