Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

05 outback?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 05 outback?
    Posted: August-27-2012 at 10:44pm
My little lady has her heart set on a 05 or newer outback. I've have only owned rear wheel drive v-8's since 95. Subarus are kind of mysterious to me. She wants the 6 cylinder which is a good start at over 200hp. Anybody here have any opinions?
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
dconner08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dconner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 11:10pm
Don't have any personal experience with them but two guys I work with daily drive a Subaru both have 200k+ miles and swear they have never done anything more than basic maintenance.

Also I think it was car and driver ranked it one of the 10 best cars for the money.
79 ski tique- first boat and its a learning process
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2012 at 3:14pm
older outbacks had significant head gasket trouble at about 100k you have to pull the motor to do the replacement, and IIRC, its about a 2500 dollar fix.   they may have corrected the issue with something 05 and newer, but the trouble was definitely there into the early 2000 models.   I personally am not a big fan of the fit and finish, and the seats are not comfortable to me.... But I've been a honda fan for a long time, so it's hard for me to consider other brands.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 12:50am
I had a 2006 Outback that needed head gaskets at about 140,000 last spring. The service dept said it was a typical repair job something after 100k..... I wasn't very pleased about it. The car had been good up to that point but I was frustrated with the car and the dealership and quickly traded it in after the repairs were completed.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
825KI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 825KI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:11am
Have you considered a Volvo XC70 AWD?   
1982 Ski Nautique
1982 K5 Blazer
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:40am
We bought an 04 Volvo Cross Country in 07. 19K miles on it for 20K. Could not be happier. My only complaint on any of these cars is that the dealers are few and far between but the internet has made things easier. You guy's might know though I heard that Suburu's needed regular cam belt changes.Does that still hold true?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 11:51am
Well we pulled the trigger on the outback. It is an 05 with the h6 engine. Besides having 6 six cylinders instead of four it also loses the timing belt for a timing chain. Head gaskets life is supposed to be better on these engines as well. I would never convince the little lady on a newer Volvo due to the issues her dad has had with his. Be great for her to have more ground clearance due to the crazy mud season we have in our town!
Thanks for the feedback. It was a stab in the dark but I've come to realize I trust the intelligence and knowledge of the members on this forum than any other I've run across.
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 9:50pm
Thousands of softball playing lesbians can't all be wrong.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 11:33pm
[QUOTE=politicallycorrect] I would never convince the little lady on a newer Volvo due to the issues her dad has had with his. Be great for her to have more ground clearance due to the crazy mud season we have in our town!
QUOTE]
Congrats on the new car-
I don't think our Cross Country has that much clearance,I have to use ramps to change the oil. The Jeeps I just crawl under!
Does your Father in Law have an 01 by any chance.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic