NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine build opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine build opinions?
    Posted: December-27-2012 at 8:03pm
Ok Guys, I'm pulling the engine out of my 77 ski this winter. So far I have a set of GT-40 heads at a friends machine shop getting decked and a valve job and new springs all according to the cam card from the new cam from cam research. I have a set of Hi-Tek manifolds on their way. I am ordering the Edelbrock performer intake and plan on a DUI distributor with Livewires. Also some engine dress up goodies, fel-pro gaskets, SS intake bolts. I have a Acme 540 already on the boat. All this started with the plan to repair an oil leak.

I know they aren't GT-40P heads, but I got them cheap to start with and CR allreday ground my cam. The engine only has 480 hrs on it and with just me, it already topped out at 49. I am worried that with these mods I might have to re-prop it since I can already get 5000 rpms with the Acme 540.

What am I missing?
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 10:04pm
One more thing, even though I already have the cam, should I go with the performer or the performer RPM since it's a 77' which is smaller and lighter? I know alot of you guys are saying to go with the RPM.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 10:25pm
Yes on the rpm. Got the cam specs handy?

The 540 should do you fine. You'll spin it higher but that's where you'll be making power.

Don't forget a new double roller timing set. If you're going all out, no harm in adding roller rockers. 1.7's may be the way to go if your cam specs are conservative. Make sure you order a shim kit to get your lifter preload set properly... Depending on how much you decked the heads, you may need new pushrods- but I'm guessing you knew that!
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 10:42pm
I don't have the cam card, but .460 lift and it was ground on the mid range power. Lobe sep was 112, can't remember the dur. I let CR tell me what I needed.

Rollers, are they needed on a low rpm engine? I see what you mean with the 1.7 to raise the power band. The shop didn't take much off, just enough for a good seal. They looked good, just had 160,000 miles on them.

The shop is setting up the springs according to the cam. I was waiting to get the heads on before I see if I need pushrods, I can always run out and get those.

How many rpm can I safely turn with a 35yr old 351W?

Thanks for the imput.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 1:20am
That .460 grind is conservative... That engine would like the .490 that 1.7's would buy you. Rollers certainly aren't needed but are nice- and the only way to get the bigger ratio so far as I know. This did not strike me as a budget build, with the hiteks and all.

I wouldn't sweat the higher rpms. They're likely safer than loading the engine down with a bigger prop... Let it spin.

Yup, gotta measure pushrods length after the heads are on.
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 3:06am
I appreciate the input, and with all due respect I have to ask. CR told me the GT-40 heads won't flow any more then the .460. If they can, why wouldn't they grid one accordingly?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 4:08am
I guess it's maybe like asking someone who makes the best truck or what oil to use . For what it's worth here is a chart I found a few years back on heads. You will most likely have to zoom in to read.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 9:58am
.460 is the biggest reverse rotation grind that cam research can currently do. They are limited by the blanks, and how willing they are to grind through the heat treat. They're conservative for sure but I can't really blame them. With 1.7's you should still make good power to ~5200.

I can't read Gary's chart on my phone but I'm guessing I know what it says. There's some good ford head flow data on the web if you look for it. The p's tend to flatten off around .500, but the gt40's pull a little longer, if I remember correctly.
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 5:11pm
That makes sense since the Ps were for passenger car and the GT-40s were on SVT engines.

I've got a call into my machine shop who spected the springs too make sure they are still the right ones for a 1.7 rocker.

I did order the air gap performer rpm last night.

You guys still think it's ok to spin a 35yr old 351W up to 5200? The book says 4600. Could it be because of the springs in the old head design?

I recently build a Harley that Makes it's peak power at 6500 now that had a readline of 5800 out of the box. But we built the bottom end to handle it.   Making twice as much power too I might add ;)
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 5:31pm
I know the engine has fairly low hours but if it's all still original, might not be a bad idea to give her a fresh hone with new rings along with new crank and rod bearings. I mean, it's low hours but it's pretty old... I assume with the new cam you're already doing new cam bearings right?

My engine had about 800-900 hours on it and I recently just did this. It really wasn't difficult at all once you've broken everything down to change what you are already changing. Some might see it as "gold plating" the engine but what's another $150 to freshen everything up when you're already spending as much as you are on upgrades? My engine really needed new rings, rod bearings, and crank bearings BTW.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 5:45pm
Cam bearings arent a high wear item. If compression was good, oil pressure was good, and everything looks clean when you break it down, I wouldnt think twice about bolting on the extra hp and spinning it to 5200 or so. No need to tear into the bottom end if its wearing just fine.

The 351w is a stout piece and the bottom end can handle the extra revs just fine. Ive read 6000rpm is no problem for a stock bottom end. The "max operating RPM" called out in manuals (usually 4400) has more to do with where the stock engine (with its low compression ratio and low flow parts) will perform best. Spinning it any higher would have made the boat go slower... but it would not have started breaking things.

Im not sure the Air Gap is the way to go (versus the regular RPM)... might be tough to keep that valley clean. Operating temps are also fairly low on our engines, so I wouldnt expect to see much gain with it. Hopefully the height is the same as the regular RPM? Thats one thing to keep in mind- it will be 1" taller than the regular Performer, so motorbox clearance may become an issue. Playing with the carb, arrestor and spacer may be required to fit everything.
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 8:26pm
I'm not worried about keeping the vally clean on the air-gap. I own a Harley and sell detailing products on the side. Nothing I own ever gets dirty...cept for my girlfriend, but that's another descussion.

The motorbox height, I have an extra inch to play with, but I ordered a flame arrestor the same height with two breather tubes. My plan is to eliminate the spacer with the rear breather and keep the arrestor at the same height under the box.

I plan on pulling the oil pan and looking for any signs there, otherwise I didn't plan on tearing it down completely. The guy I bought it from tried to run it every month. He told me that even if he didn't run it at the lake, he used a fake lake.

I got the cam card back today.

lift. .460 .460
ad dur 266   270
@ .50   215   220
lobe    112

Question, I get the advantage of lift increase with the 1.7 over the 1.6, but will it change the duration or lobe sep. I don't see how it would other then the @ .50 numbers.

Do any of you guys have a preference on 1.7 rockers? There are alot to choose from.

Jeff
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 8:33pm
Question for anyone who used the DUI Livewires, do you have to have them custom cut, or will the standard 351W models reach. It says (over the valve cover) next to the model number C9059.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 12:31pm
The Performer is ~1.5" taller than the stock manifold, and the RPM/Stealth are another 1" taller yet. The RPM Air Gap will be every bit as tall as the regular RPM, I would think. You'll probably need to eliminate the spacer and go with a shorter arrestor (2" is about the shortest you can fit over the j-tubes) in order to get it under the box. Or raise the box up.

Lobe separation is built into the blank and is not altered by the grind, and certainly isnt affected by the rocker arm choice. Seat to seat duration remains unchanged, but going to 1.7's will increase .050 numbers slightly since the valves will open more quickly (and further). My preference on rocker brand would be Crane (or Ford Racing, which rebrands Cranes), but I know some people like Scorpions as well. The Cranes may be a little more low profile though- Ive successfully fit their 1.6's under stock height valve covers.

I do not like over-the-valvecover plug wires on my boats- I route them under the manifolds. No idea if Davis sells that type of Livewires. I always build my own custom length out of the generic Taylor Spiro Pro kits.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 3:36pm
Taylor wires are what i use also.
They are as good as any you'll find.

Ford Cobra 1.7 are Crane Energizer rockers
(stamped "Ford" on one side and "Energizer" on the other.
and they fit under the stock valve covers.
Buy a Ford rocker shim kit.

I'll bet your going to be surprized with hood clearance or lack of,
I was.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I do not like over-the-valvecover plug wires on my boats

So thats why you don't have an HM powered boat   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Andy is Summit the best place to purchase or have you found a better source.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:49pm
Summit / Jegs is as good as anybody.

I got an engine with p heads, stealth intake, 1.7 rockers ect...   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 5:21pm

Taylor wires are what i use also.
They are as good as any you'll find.

I'll bet your going to be surprized with hood clearance or lack of,
I was.

As soon as it comes in I will start measuring and see what I have to work with.

Has anyone put an RPM under a late 70's engine box? If so how did you make it work?

I'm not worried about the rockers clearance, I bought taller valve covers already.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 5:31pm
I don't know if they are any good but I like these that are adjustible. Any thoughts?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 5:47pm
OK,I ordered the Crane Cams 44746-16 - Crane Energizer Pedestal Mount Roller Rocker Arms 1.7 with Ford shims from Summit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 6:27pm
Gary, I dont know about those either, but you can count me as skeptical. I'll stick to shimming on my pedestal mount heads.

I should have been more specific on the brands... the ones I am familiar with, that seem to have a good reputation are the Ford Motorsport / Crane Gold. Ive had good luck purchasing them lightly used from places like The Corral.

If buying new, and Crane/FMS are pushing the budget, I'd look to Scorpion.

Will the tall valve covers fit with the Hiteks? I know Joe squeezed them in there... cant remember if it required any special provisions. I know its especially tight with the PCM pyramids.
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 6:43pm
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10147

They aren't real tall. They remind me of 351C covers as they kind of turn up. It will be close, but I think they will be fine.
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 6:46pm

Summit / Jegs is as good as anybody.

I got an engine with p heads, stealth intake, 1.7 rockers ect...   

What cam did you use and how does she run?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 6:49pm
I believe all of the 6582 FMS valve covers are considered "stock height"... though they may have a tad more clearance than some stock covers. The FMS 1.6's fit just fine under mine... but not all rockers are created equal! No problem fitting with the exhaust manifolds though.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by 77 SKI 77 SKI wrote:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10147

Proper link for the convenience of all

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That .460 grind is conservative... That engine would like the .490 that 1.7's would buy you. Rollers certainly aren't needed but are nice- and the only way to get the bigger ratio so far as I know. This did not strike me as a budget build, with the hiteks and all.

I wouldn't sweat the higher rpms. They're likely safer than loading the engine down with a bigger prop... Let it spin.

Yup, gotta measure pushrods length after the heads are on.

I agree with Tim. I have been told by a professional engine builder that roller lifters are better for their reduced wear capability. Also, you can more aggressive with cam grinds. But wiht rollers, you can be a little less concerned about ZDDP content in your lubricating oil.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 11:53pm
I would also go with a Performer RPM Air Gap intake, if it's available. It gives you a cooler fuel/air charge into the combustion chamber. It is also a dual plane manifold which will help with low end torque.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:11am
Jef,

I can send you a copy of my Desktop Dyno 2003. You can plug in all your numbers and install various parts and get a fair idea of what the engine performance will look like. Also, it allows you to swap various parts to get the performance you want without tying up alot of money buying parts and swapping pieces.

PM me with your email address and I can send you a .zip file of it.
1974 Southwind 20
77 SKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

Jef,

I can send you a copy of my Desktop Dyno 2003. You can plug in all your numbers and install various parts and get a fair idea of what the engine performance will look like. Also, it allows you to swap various parts to get the performance you want without tying up alot of money buying parts and swapping pieces.

PM me with your email address and I can send you a .zip file of it.

I will thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic