NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Harmonic Balancer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harmonic Balancer
    Posted: May-04-2013 at 8:20pm
Thanks!
'82 Ski Tique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 8:06pm
90lbs (boxwrench.com)
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 8:00pm
Thanks both, strange that the timing marks seem to be a notch out though?

I've fitted the balancer the crank bolt just needs loctite and tightening up, I don't have access to an impact gun so was going to bolt some angle iron to it to allow it to lock against the engine cradle.
Any idea what the torque spec is for the crank bolt?
'82 Ski Tique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 9:25am
Don't forget some assymbly lube on the seal and the balancer before you start.   You'll also need something to hold the crank still, I've been using a belt tensioner to hold onto the flywheel bolts to turn turn and hold the motor, works pretty good.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 8:26am
I assume you're talking about using an impact gun to install the balancer with the crank bolt. Pretty sure that's the preferred method.

You're correct on TDC being in the same spot LH vs RH. Timing marks just go the opposite direction from that point since they spin backwards.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:47am
Ok it seems to be about 1 notch out shall post a photo for anyone else looking to change to a left rotation
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 6:23am
Can anyone advise, I'm hoping to get this back on today..
Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 6:12pm
So my new balancer turned up from the US I'm looking to install tomorrow, what's the general consensus with greasing the crank and installing it via the crank bolt? Will I get away with it if I'm careful?

Also regarding timing marks, its a lefty but TC seems to be in the same place as the original right rotation one. Does this sound right? If so I can just treat BTC as ATC and vice versa without the need to buy a new timing mark sticker..

Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 7:45pm
Thanks Roger this I'm sure will prove to be very useful
'82 Ski Tique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2013 at 3:39pm
Graham, I use these UK suppliers......
These guys are the Sierra agents UK ( Patten parts ) which covers many PCM ford parts and can cross ref to Sierra.... Keyparts

The London Nautique dealer has a stash of old PCM parts too.....Nautique Marine
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 7:45pm
..and thanks Joe, Tim   
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Graham I see you got the unhelpfull guy at Realsteel.....this is a long shot but give AE a call they import lots of Ford/Chevy V8' cores for rebuilding... may sell you a Ford balancer worth a call.....9 to 5 only.
AE / eurocores on 01268 285888
eurocore1@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks Roger! I actually bit the bullet whilst at the airport and went for that one on ebay but it's still very handy to know of any UK based companies for getting hold of future parts.. or worst case if the balancer I just bought is no good..

Whilst we're on the topic do you have info on any other local companies that may help with nautique or ford specific stuff? I'm always keen to avoid throwing money at import duty where possible
'82 Ski Tique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 3:23pm
Graham I see you got the unhelpfull guy at Realsteel.....this is a long shot but give AE a call they import lots of Ford/Chevy V8' cores for rebuilding... may sell you a Ford balancer worth a call.....9 to 5 only.
AE / eurocores on 01268 285888
eurocore1@hotmail.co.uk
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 2:50pm
Graham, in playing around on Summit Racing's website, there are only a few 1990+ 351w's that used the 50oz external imbalance. All others used the 28oz. I'd say its a pretty safe bet thats what you have.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 2:45pm
Total weight of the part is not a good indicator. Mark C's explanation is just a little off. The 28 oz is really the amount of imbalance in the internal rotating assembly that must be counterweighted by a combination of extra weight added to the combination of the balancer and the flywheel.   Different brands, sizes, styles, part revisions, etc can have different weights and still be perfectly acceptable. Somewhere on here I found a cheap aftermarket solution that was a direct replacement for both the 3 and 4 bolt styles.. cant find them now on the iphone unfortunately ..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 2:43pm
I posted pictures of my old balancer here:

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28886

Is it possible to tell from these whether or not its a '28oz'er, the same as my ebay link above?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 2:33pm
The guy from reelsteel was rather unhelpful, said he didn't know if they could get one in, if so would take at least 4 weeks.

That ebay link said they would deliver to UK via UPS for $30 seems a good price to me.
So what do we recommend I measure up? Length of shaft on the damper and total weight of the part.
Anything else? Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 2:17pm
Thanks both, Mark mine is the 3 hole variety but it seems that I need to measure up before committing to a new one.
Roger thanks for the link I shall give them a call, hopefully they will know from the ref# on my old balancer as they seem pretty clued up..
'82 Ski Tique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2013 at 8:17am
Graham, have a look at these guys, I know its more cost...but by the time you add shipping and the Post Office handling and all + Vat @ 20% there may not be much in it...they sell marine USA V8 parts so a call to check fit may pay off,and if in stock could have it by the weekend.

Pulled off there ford page....

ProStreet Crankshaft Harmonic Damper
30% stronger Nodular Iron. Timing Marks up to 40 degrees.
Bolt in Counterweights. Precision balanced. Bonded inner/outer ring.
BY2426928" oz, 3 & 4 bolt SBF 302 to 1980/351 £91.80
BY2427050" oz, 4 bolt pattern SBF 302 1981on £95.74
BY69270Spacer kit for above dampers [spare]   £17.76

Link     Real Steel
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2013 at 8:15pm
No 28 oz is the amount of weight removed from the harmonic balancer ring on the outer circumference the whole thing will weight close to 10 pounds. the 28oz matches the weight added to the flywheel on the back of the engine. That Ebay balancer has 3 bolt holes for your WP pulley, alot of 351W's have 4 bolt holes, so make sure your pully has the same number of holes as the balancer. Also make sure the mounting depth from where it bottoms out on the crankshaft snout to the fron face where the pully bolts on is the same as yours, or you will have alaignment issues with your belts.

Just put a peice of normal rotation timing tape on backwards and you will be all set.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2013 at 7:15pm
As most of you are probably aware I'm looking for a replacement harmonic balancer after being a complete clampet and breaking mine by using a 3 legged puller insted of the proper tool.
Im guessing I need a 28oz one based on these being the ones I've seen on the web with the closest appearance match to what I have.

Something like this suitable?
Ebay balancer

Also, excuse the idiot question.. 28oz will be the total weight of the balancer if put on the scales?
Im out of the country till Thursday but can weigh my old one as soon as I get a chance.
And the only other thing I would then need is some timing mark tape to make it suitable for reverse rotation engine?
Thanks muchly
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic