Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Intake Manifold
    Posted: June-06-2013 at 7:38pm
Is the intake manifold for a 302 marine engine any different than one for a car engine? Could you replace the original with one from say summit racing or O'Reilly Autoparts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:32pm
Reason I am asking is I got my long my long block back from the machine shop and it is ready to drop in. However, they also cleaned up the surfaces on the intake and there was some pitting. They seemed to think that some silicone on the gaskets would take care of it but I don't want to risk it if it is going to potentially be an issue. Already spent this much money and really would not like to do it over again...

Also any tips on aluminum vs. cast iron especially taking into account that the boat will be run in salt water even though flushed after every use...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:35pm
Here is a peak at what we are working with. Know its covered. Will provide more pics soon...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:35pm
Automotive is fine and going to aluminum is commonplace when doing engine upgrades.

Id stick with cast iron for salt though. Id like to see the pitting theyre concerned about. Not sure about the availability of cast iron manifolds, but they sure are heavy (so expensive to ship).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:42pm
No, I do not believe there's any differences. Maybe some extra tapped holes but they can be plugged.

What's the problem with the original manifold? Is something going on with the "engine rebuilder" that couldn't rebuild the correct rotation???

BTW, I suggest posting questions like this to your existing threads. It will help all the members get a good idea of what you are going through.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:49pm

I don't have a picture of the pitting. I'll try to get one here soon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 8:59pm
Got it Pete I will in the future. Sorry about that. Long story short the machine shop took their time and did the research on what they needed to be changed to give the engine the proper rotation. It took a while as my last post on this subject was several weeks ago which has been frustrating but they are confident that they got it right now. I picked the engine up today and it should be ready to go in the boat by mid next week. Today's question arose from a comment that the machine shop made when I picked up the engine and a few other miscellaneous parts that my mechanic sent over there to get cleaned up. When I picked it up they mentioned that there was some pitting on the intake manifold that they were unable to get out when they were cleaning up the mating surfaces. They suggested using some silicone rather than just the gasket when reinstalling to rectify this issue. I was just brainstorming and thinking that it might be better to replace the whole thing as an intake manifold leak was what got me into this mess in the first place.

What are all of your thoughts on aluminum vs cast iron in salt water usage???
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by skitique179 skitique179 wrote:

What are all of your thoughts on aluminum vs cast iron in salt water usage???

Don't, you think you had problems with what you had.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:20pm
I am relatively sure that the last problems were due to a bad gasket job done by yours truly. We did not remove the distributor and tried to seat the manifold like that. It was a pita at the time and took several attempts. Pretty sure that was the issue not necessarily the pitting last time. The old one is cast iron not sure quite what you meant here???
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:24pm
What Gary is saying is if you go with an aluminum intake in salt water your problems will be worse.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:28pm
I would love to know how they fixed the RMS issue.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would love to know how they fixed the RMS issue.

YES!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 9:44pm
Ok noted. Thanks. For the Rotation issue. They put the right hand rotation crank in it. Ground the wick lines off of the crank from the 88 block, put a speedi sleave on it, and replaced the rms with a seal without wick lines from a supplier that they use frequently. I do not know all of the details on the seal but supposedly it is not rotation specific. They assembled the block including the oil pump, oil pan, distributor, and timing cover and spun it on the machine that they use for testing compression and oil pressure. Everything supposedly passed without any leaks so we shall see once this thing gets dropped in and it is spun up to full rpm's. Only good news is that there is a 90 day warranty on the rebuild so I am going to run the bejesus out of it once it is broken in and make sure that we are good to go.

Time will tell...
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 10:00pm
The rebuild book that seems to be recommended by a few here suggests you use some silicone on the intake gasket for good measure. I don't think that's just a low budget recommendation to keep you from buying parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 10:05pm
Can't wait for some more of this. Headed to Lake Powell in 16 days. Hope this baby runs...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 10:09pm
Thanks TX Foilhead. I think I will stick with it for now and just be diligent. I will say from now on I will be checking the oil for milkiness after EVERY trip out though. You live and you learn...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic