Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft straightening ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 12:17am
Yeah I guess it's a long shot..... oh well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

So it doesn't look like they can straighten the shaft after all, the shop called today and said they can't get it past ten thousanths.....

Where was the shaft bent and did they say why they couldn't straighten it? Although I have had mixed results, (a bent shaft likes to go back to the bent position) I have never heard of shaft that could not be straightened.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 4:19pm
it's on the prop end, apparently near the start of the taper.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

it's on the prop end, apparently near the start of the taper.

This would be the spot that would be the most difficult to get straight. It's a common spot to bend the shaft from a prop hit especially if the prop is extended beyond the normal distance behind the strut. The norm is 1 shaft diameter but lately Tim has been saying to cut that distance at least in half. I happen to agree since from a mechanical engineering standpoint, the shorter the distance the less overhung load on the shaft and the cutlass you will have. Hull clearance from the prop OD to the hull must be a consideration. I have a feeling that CC cheated on some hulls!! Art??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 7:00pm
So I ordered an ARE shaft (they are actually supposed to be making me one 1/2" shorter next week), then I find out that the local machine shop was able to straighten my old one after all. I have a video of the shaft in the lathe with a dial gauge and it is damn straight. SO, now I have a dilemma... Do I call and try to to cancel the ARE? or keep that one coming and try to sell this shaft. I spent $100 and they even shortened it by the 1/2", cut the coupler end keyway 1/2" longer, and a new spot for the set screw.
Next year I plan on removing the engine to dress it up.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 7:14pm
I think you can sell the old shaft for $100. Put in the ARE, you will be happy with that decision next year when you take it apart again.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 7:21pm
^ this
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I think you can sell the old shaft for $100. Put in the ARE, you will be happy with that decision next year when you take it apart again.

I agree with Chris. You will love the ARE system plus, keep in mind:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

(a bent shaft likes to go back to the bent position)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic