NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb issue
    Posted: June-14-2013 at 4:02pm
Hellofellows,

lately been having the problem of carb flooding once or sometimes twice in the first 10 minutes of using the boat. After that, no problem.
Appears as if the carb needs cleaning/rebuild cause gas is dripping, sometimes almost flowing, into the carb. But just shutting off the engine, waiting till it stops dripping and starting again solves the problem (until now, at least).
Any ideas or suggestions?
351 w/ Holley 4160.

Thanks!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 7:46pm
The rebuilt kit from 'Daytona' is supposed to have better needle & seat. Don't know if they ship int'l.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 8:50pm
Hi SNobsessed, hadn't thanked you yet for the info. Thanks! ;)

I sent them a message but they haven't replied (message sent yesterday). Not sure though if it's worth the hassle to order from different places (also need some other items). Hope they get back to me before Monday, otherwise I'll get the skidim kit. Is priec comparable to the skidim-kit, anyone know?

Different subject, but same boat so I'll post here.
The alternator on my boat seems to be placed too far back. The metal bar (sorry, no idea what it's called) and the belt are not straight. I don't think you can adjust the distance from the block, right?

It also doesn't charge well (12.85) so I'm thinking of changing for a new one.

Last thing, that many people might know but I just found out; I tried all the water stain removal products to get my window clean but nothing worked. 'Till I used 3M marine rubbing compound. Looks brand new again.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 7:27pm
Hola, me again.

Another question: the coil always gets crazy hot. Has been like that for a year or so. Also happened to previous coil. Someone suggested it's possible it's getting so hot because the alternator doesn't charge well. Possible or BS?

About the original problem, the carb; just got a message from Daytona:
"The Marine carburetors are not yet listed on our website. Our kit for your special Marine 4160 4bbl (R80551-1) is kit #19002; your cost is $60 + $8 shipping. We also stock new floats for this carburetor; part #21-727N; cost is $10 ea. Please phone if you wish to place an order.
Thank You!"
I'll probably give it a shot.

However! Since I knew I'd have to wait at least another week before I'd have any kit I figured I'd try this:

Added the bottle to a half tank of gas. Must say I didn't have much faith but the engine ran flawlessly! Better than it ran the last couple weeks. No dripping when I shut off the engine. Just perfect.
Coincidence or does this stuff really help?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 11:12pm
Sander - You might want to have someone check the alternator's diodes. Chances are 1 of them is bad, or the solder joint is cracked. Replacing/resoldering them is not a big job if you have the right soldering iron.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2013 at 1:02pm
Thanks again Chris! Yes will have it checked, but the mechanic said if we open up the alternator the "carbones" (=diodes? Sorry, 2nd and 3rd languages of words I don't even know in my 1st language) will break so I have to make sure I have these at hand before we do so. Can't find a name/model on the alternator though so don't know how to find the right carbones...

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 4:38pm
Update and questions:

boat runs pretty good actually. In a straight line. Only in or right after a turn it's stalling. Does this sound like a needle/seat problem?

And, anyone know if it is possible that a hot coil can be caused by the alternator that doesn't charge well?    
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 8:26pm
I had the same problem. I went to hardware store got longer bolts a a couple of shaft collars for spacers. Worked great. Those pulleys need to be in the same plane, (lined up).
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 4:33am
Im assuming you checked the voltage at the battery when running correct? And not the voltage gauge? Any boat is wired pathetically. Our Supra, our CC, 2 other relatives who both have a CC Martinique. My supra showed 11 volts not running 12 volts running, rewired, 12.5 not running, 14 volts running, perfect. My CC, 10~11 volts not running, barely 12 volts when running, rewired, 12 volts not running 14 volts running. Always check with a VOM first.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 2:17pm
Yes, I know the gauge is an unreliable information source. Checked with a volt meter.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 2:46pm
On the alternator alignment, not sure how it mounts to the block/ lower bracket...but should the alternator somehow mount on the front side of the top bracket?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic