Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition - no spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition - no spark
    Posted: July-07-2013 at 11:01am
Ok new post number 3, I'm having a tough weekend! I have a 86 SN, With a 351. Tried to Putin electronic ignition today. I've done this to 4 other inboards in the past, however this one has me stumped. I put it all together and I have no spark. I had the red lead off the plate to the + side of coil, black wire to the - side of coil. No spark, tried jumping the resister still no spark. I know the plate is put in correctly , the rotor only goes on one way. Paid 200.00 for it from NAPA auto parts. Had another that I bought on line which had the same plate but wrong rotor, so I thought maybe the one from NAPA was defective so I used the plate from the one I bought online(had the same number stamp on it) but no spark. I then put the old points back in and it fired right up. I don't get it, why no spark? Does it need a certain coil? My coil say ,( use with resister) written right on it. Any ideas? Thanks, Wayne , Read my Prop and steering wheel post also please. I'm a mess , hahaha
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 12:18pm
Is there a way to test the igniter that comes with electronic ignition?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 2:10pm
Are you following the instruction's because I notice you have this under gear for sale You did not mention what brand you have you might be best to call them and ask,but I think by you removing it and putting the points back in has told you the conversion is bad. It is after all just an electronic switch as opposed to the points which are mechanical. All that conversion does is remove the condencer and points,so they are more of a maintenance convenience rather that a performance one. If you want full benefits you'd replace the whole distributor with a D.U.I.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:12pm
Gary is on the right track. Instructions are very helpful. I believe the Pertonix kit wants 12V to the distributor and it appears you don't have that. Take that red lead from the plate and jump it to the 12v side of the ballast resistor.
Seals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:15am
Gary – sounds like you have a DUI distributor on your boat, I'm considering installing a DUI   Or a new Mallory Distributor.   Given my past bad experiences with coils, I was concerned about the DUI having the coil built in as part of the unit. Can you give me any input on a DUI versus a new Mallory type distributor and separate coil ? Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:51am
No I don't I'm running an old Mallory. I like the vintage look of the old flat cap models. TRBenj and JoeinNY have convinced me that if I were to change that would be the way to go.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

No I don't I'm running an old Mallory. I like the vintage look of the old flat cap models. TRBenj and JoeinNY have convinced me that if I were to change that would be the way to go.

I'm told those two guys can be a bad influence!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic