Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid idea?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid idea?
    Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:24pm
OK, here goes. 1999 Pro Air Nautique with GT40 EFI and about 350 hours.
Three weekends in row boat started fine and ran great. All three times I stopped for various reasons and the boat was turned off about an hour. After the hour or so delay, it started fine but about 100 yards later in stalled. Seemed like a lack of fuel. After 5-10 minutes it restarted and was fine. I have changed fuel filter and taken off the distributor cap and found no corrosion. Since it is hard to repair something that is not torn up at the time, I think I will just run it until it tears up and take it to the shop! Stupid idea?
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:44pm
Not stupid, but keep researching failure causes on this site. For example, there is a relay that can cause problems like yours.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:47pm
Just getting frustrated. However,I realize how difficult it is to diagnose a problem when the problem is not there. I could start throwing parts at it but that could run into lots of money. Maybe I should try the relay since that is relatively cheap.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 12:14am
When it happens lift the engine cover and check for the prime cycle.

i.e. Both fuel pumps run for about 2 secs when the ignition switch is turned on.

This is a great starting point for diagnosis of your problem.

The relays are cheap and are a known high failure item. Good to carry a spare anyway.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 10:44am
Are there 1 or 2 relays for the fuel pumps?
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 10:54am
One relay is for the computer power EEC relay the other is the fuel pump relay it supplies both fuel pumps.

The fuel pump relay has the green/yellow wire supplying power to the pumps.

One more quick question do you still have a extra power feed wire in your battery box with the large fuse (50A)?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 11:04am
I think so. I have a Perko switch and there is a "device" at one of the batteries. There is no corrosion there. I am not really sure if this device is for the Perko or something else.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic