Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalling and Idling issue!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling and Idling issue!!
    Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:40pm
I own a Supra, but from my research seems a lot more people on this forum help out and give great advice.

I am new to the forum and needing some help/advice on what is going on. Been a frustrating summer. I'll try to explain everything i have done to correct this issue and hopefully someone can chime in on what im missing.

I have a 90 Supra Comp TS6M, PCW 351
I purchased the boat this spring and had previously set in closed storage for almost 2 years. Performed all the regular maintenace stuff drained gas tank, oil change, filters changed, carb rebuild, etc. Now heres the problem boat does not want to idle unless i have it around 1000-1100 rpm's, once you put it in gear very low speed (no wake zone) it will stall and die unless you get it back up to 1200 rpm's and now im making a wake and makes it very hard to tighten rope for my son.

What we have done to try to correct this.
Timing set to 10 degrees
Points set to 32 with dwell meter
Can completely close idle circuit screws and boat still idles at 1000 (replaced power valve with no change)
Can not find any vacuum leaks using carb cleaner all around the carb.
I am getting good spark and fire, have not problems starting the boat, I just want it to idle at 600 and be able to cruise slowly in gear. Sorry if i rambled to much just wanted to give as much information as possible if you have any other questions about what i have tried or advice please let me know. Thanks again.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:47pm
Sounds like the carb needs rebuilt. I had same issue. Bones.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:54pm
Yeah it may need to be again just sucks cause was just rebuilt 4 weeks ago.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 12:06am
Well if that's the case did you use the same setup? Jets? I'm no master with this stuff but that's what your problem sounded like. Too much gas at idle. Flooding out.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 1:11am
need a carb rebuild. A very thorough one. Do you still have the Super-Trapps on the exhaust?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 9:42am
Idle passages are still clogged up. You may need to use a small wire to get the crud out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Idle passages are still clogged up. You may need to use a small wire to get the crud out.

+1
If you can turn the idle screws in all the way and not affect the idle, that's the first place I would look.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 10:21am
You have to have the idle so high because the circuits are plugged up. The butterflies have to be open enough to pull fuel through the venturi/boosters.

Who rebuilt it? Yourself or a third party?
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 11:45am
I had the local boat shop due the rebuild. What is the easiest way to clean the idle circuits my self? Remove the front bowl and the main circuit, then remove those two screws and go all though there with a fine wire and carb cleaner. Thanks for the input.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 12:32pm
This is a really good thread with a full rebuild:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24175&PN=1&title=carb-rebuild-88-2001

This is a good one, which focuses a lot on float levels, but a lot of great pictures none the less:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30062&PN=1&title=carburator-can-see-a-lot-of-gas-thru-air-valvas

This is my personal favorite (wrote it myself ) were I focus on just the fuel line and tools used to remove the line from the Carb and Carb from the manifold:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27143

You won't need to do a full rebuild. Just:
1.)Removed the fuel line

2.) you may choose to remove the carb, but it may not be totally necessary, but probably easier

3.) Remove the the front fuel bowl.

4.) The screws that secure the bowl also hold the primary block, so it should come off fairly easily now, since it was recently rebuilt. Hopefully it was rebuilt with the blue re-usable gaskets

5.) Then clean the primary block according to the advice above

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 8:56pm
Again I ask; Do you still have the Super Trapps installed?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:07pm
Sorry i am not exactly sure what the super trapps are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 10:12pm
take a pic of your exhaust ports. I can tell you if you have the super trapps installed or not.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 11:00pm
Can Super Trapps cause a restriction and choke out the engine or something?
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 11:10am
I will get a picture when i go to the lake this weekend. I keep the boat in the shop at the lake house.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 4:17pm
No, the super trapps are a muffler Supra tried to use. Very unique sound from any other marine muffler. They dont restrict very much and sound really cool. Only problem is that they dont have a proper flange. Supra glued them in with either 4200 or 5200 and put the exhaust hose over them and clamped down the hose. If they aren't taken out and re-glued they start to leak really bad, and this leads to excessive water which in turn helps rot the stringers.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 2:04pm
Issue was finally fixed now that summer is over. We removed the carb and checked the throttle body gasket and it was of course the wrong one. The one that was installed on was covering up 4-5 holes on the carb. Installed correct gasket and boat idles at 600 and runs and sounds better than ever. Thanks for all the tips.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Henner Henner wrote:

Issue was finally fixed now that summer is over. We removed the carb and checked the throttle body gasket and it was of course the wrong one. The one that was installed on was covering up 4-5 holes on the carb. Installed correct gasket and boat idles at 600 and runs and sounds better than ever. Thanks for all the tips.

Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for posting what the remedy was.
Just for clarification, the gasket you refer to, is it the base gasket between the carb and manifold or bewteen the throttle body and the body of the carb? Did the shop that did the rebuild put the wrong one in?

Kinda sucks going through what you did before you found it.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 7:26pm
what ever happened to seeing if you had super-trapps?
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Henner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 11:41am
Sorry i completely forgot about taking pictures of trapps once i picked boat up from shop. And yes the shop that rebuilt the carb installed the wrong one. On Holley website is is called a Throttle Body Gasket part #108-3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic