Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mallory YLM554DV vs YLU554DV

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
510boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mallory YLM554DV vs YLU554DV
    Posted: August-27-2013 at 7:58pm
Hi! I have a 1984 Ski Nautique 2001 I just bought. I'm changing the distributor over. Was wondering what you guys thought with the YLM554DV optic eye verse the YLU554DV magnetic breakerless? I originally ordered a cap and rotor and elctronic conversion kit for the prestolite distributor that was in the boat originally. The conversion was back ordered about two weeks. Went to put it in and it was to big to fit down into the distributor. The cap also wouldn't fit. So sent them back to Summit and ordered a new Mallory distributor. Kept telling the guy it was reverse rotation. Got it and it was standard. Figured no big deal it said to just swap the gear in the directions. The boat is far from my house up at a summer cabin. Get up there and the old gear wouldn't budge off the old distributor. Took the roll pin completely out. Soaked it it PBblaster When it wouldn't move I tried using a puller on it. Finally chipped a tooth off the gear. I soaked it for several days while I was up there and the sucker still didn't move at all.

So the YLM554DV has been ordered for two weeks. It was being drop shipped from Mallory. I called this morning to see when it was going to ship. Now backordered until middle of November! B.S. So Summit has the YLU554DV in stock. They will split the price difference with me on that one. Or Mallory gave me the gear number for the reverse gear. That's in stock to. Not sure which is the better way to go?

Thanks,
Charlie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 8:39pm
Call these guy's don't know why it says unavailable on the web site,you need the gear from them too. Summit shows them don't know about the gear though
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
510boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 8:49pm
I'm going to go with one of the choices I listed. Thanks though. I already have a new MSD epoxy filled coil for this style distributor. I wish MSD offered a distributor for this engine. That's what I have always run in my big block chevy's without any problems. I did have a unilite blow on me the first weekend I bought a boat, but the positive battery terminal had a crack on it. I think it bounced off in rough water and the spike fried thee unilite. So I can't blame the unilite module for that. I know back then a lot of people blew them up, but it doesn't really mean the unilite was to blame. Could have been a lot of the people and the stuff they did that caused the failures. That's why I was asking advice on the two. Otherwise I will have Summit send me a regulare rotation and then the reverse rotation gear. Both are in stock and I receive in a day, two max. Thing that stinks is they just picked up the regular rotation distributor today.

Charlie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic