NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition breaker problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition breaker problem
    Posted: September-16-2013 at 9:46am
Tried to start my '85 BFN Saturday. Seemed like the battery was a little low, but she turned over slowly. After about 5 seconds, the breaker (red button) kicked out. I was able to reset it a few times, but it instantly kicked out when I turned the key to start it. I put a booster jump box on the battery, so there was plenty of battery power. It just kept kicking the breaker.

Any thoughts?
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 1:50pm
check your starter load.   If the starter is drawing too much current, I would imagine that the breaker would pop.   The other thing to check would be the wire connections. Extra resistance will cause the amperage load to go up when you hit the start button.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 1:59pm
Nothing in the high current portion of the start circuit (batt/relay/starter) goes through the breaker. That's the unprotected side. Unless its wired wrong, of course.

What alt do you have in the boat? The charging circuit goes thru the breaker.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 2:00pm
Steve, When you say you turned the key to start you mean all the way to start position when it kicked the breaker the last time right?

Take the starter loose and see if it clicks when you go to the start position. Could be a crappy ground wire back to the battery from the block too. A lot of times the cable ends look fine but over the years water has made its way down the cables and started corrosion near the ends.

The starter shouldn't click the main breaker because it draws its operating power directly from the hot battery lead via the positive battery cable.

The solenoid could be bad causing too much load during start position operation. All the main breaker does is supply all the power to the forward section IE the boat electronics. So if the main breaker was kicked off theoretically you could still get the starter to turn via jumping across the two large poles.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2013 at 12:53pm
Fixed it.    Phat nailed it. Very simple; the negative cable at the battery was loosing continuity. I check for power at the starter, and found none. But it wasn't the hot line, it was a lack of ground because of the end of the negative cable at the battery. When I took the end off, it was gray and ugly. I cut off 6" and reattached. She fired right up.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 11:53am
Giving this thread a bump. I had the same problem with the circuit breaker popping when I tried to start the boat this past weekend. Cleaning up the battery cables took care of the problem. Thanks Zach!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic