NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

popping from carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 10:00pm
Holley choke cap and gasket part# 45-258.

Advance Auto Parts
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
mcfunnymoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 7:57pm
Just figured I would give an update. I installed the new choke housing (I bought the whole thing), adjusted it properly which was easy, and no major change. It idled like a champ for about two minutes and then did the same thing. I sprayed carb cleaner around and where the venturi shaft goes into the primary under the choke it idled up a bit. But other than that no change. I checked the carb plate with a straightedge and it was fine as well as the gaskets. I have a friend who is a mechanic coming over tuesday to look at it with me. Hopefully this does the trick. My wife has named the boat the "SS Bad Decision" Im at a loss as to what to do next.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 11:59pm
Hope that your wife has her tongue planted firmly in her cheek when she says that. It's never good when they are serious about critisizing our boats!

Ask your mechanic friend to go over the coil/resistor/choke wiring. If the choke is wired to the coil side of the resistor, it will pull the voltage so low that it might affect the performance of the coil.

Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 8:38pm
Haha. Yes, she is just joking. That name is just between us. Will do with the choke. It seemed to work fine when I turned the key. It slowly opened up the butterfly. One question though. The fast idle portion of the choke doesn't seem to be long enough to hit the fast idle cam. I have been idling it up a bit manually on cold starts. Would that affect anything other than it not idling itself up?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 11:12pm
Marine carbs don't have a fast idle cam like auto carbs do. Fast idle is accomplished with the throttle.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 11:23pm
Backfoot is correct. (though not a Craft) I am assuming that you have the marine version of the Holley 4160, which is the original carb for a 351. If it isn't that, all bets are off. The fast idle is intentionally disabled on the marine version. They dont't want you putting it in gear on fast idle.

It is easy to identify the marine version of this carb; the bowl vents are shaped like an inverted "U" with a squarish hole in the bottoms of them. The automotive version has straight vents cut at an angle.
Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:20pm
Well I have an admission. When I rebuilt the carb I used the wrong gasket between the base plate and the body. I will definitely never do that again. It stinks being wrong or making a mistake but it Im happy that I finally figured it out. Good sleep tonight. Thank you for all of the help and ideas. The boat idles great and starts great also. I hate to admit it but there is one more problem. It wont rev past 2k rpms. when I punch it the tack drops to 1k and it bogs. When loaded the carb secondaries dump as they should etc. My mechanic friend had to leave before much digging last night but he was fairly confident I had a weak spark or it was weakening with rpm's . I'm happy to start a new thread if necessary. I don't know the format here. Again, thank you guys so much for everything so far. The boat thanks you too!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:30pm
Does it sound like its spinning more than 1000 rpms? The tach is hooked directly to the ignition system and usually shows problems if something happens to the signal or something shorts with RPM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:36pm
It will spin up to 2k then bog and not go any further. It sounds like its running out of power (electricity) It seems to be advancing with a timing light. The springs are unbroken and recently have been cleaned and oiled. Weak coil? Bad resister? I set the points at .018 when they were new two weeks ago. New cap, rotor, condenser.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:40pm
Possibly, Got a spare coil or know someone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:41pm
I have a vw bug. I can steal that one and give it a shot
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:43pm
Fair enough.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by mcfunnymoney mcfunnymoney wrote:

It will spin up to 2k then bog and not go any further. It sounds like its running out of power (electricity) It seems to be advancing with a timing light. The springs are unbroken and recently have been cleaned and oiled. Weak coil? Bad resister? I set the points at .018 when they were new two weeks ago. New cap, rotor, condenser.

If you changed all that you had the plug wires off.. check the firing order, then check it again.

If you have low voltage to the coil (would need to check it under load) you could experience similar symtoms as well.

A great big ignition wire bypassing the switch and going straight to the battery would be a decent test
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 12:58pm
+1. Buy a multimeter and a test light. They will be your best friends when testing anything electrical.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:12pm
I'm still concerned that the choke heater might be hooked up to the wrong side of the resistor. Run the engine and after it's warmed up, unplug the positive wire off the choke housing and see whether the engine behaves normally.

Unplugging the wire will take the choke's load off of the ignition system and raise the voltage some.

Whatever coil you try needs to be a non-internal resistor type coil. Some have resistors in them. Don't know anything about VWs.   
Art
"Art"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:32pm
It probably has a bosh on it and the coil type is determined by the housing color. Blue, red, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:48pm
The coil on the vw is red in color. I have a test light and voltmeter. What is a good bench test for a coil? Or is it ok the throw the vw one on it and try that? I will be able to run the boat tonight and unhook the choke wires.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:57pm
Search bosh coil types and find out if its internally or externally resisted. I think the blue coil is the internally resisted but I could be wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 12:10am
My mechanic friend came over again tonight and we took a look in the distributor. We compared the old points to the new ones. The spring on the old points was significantly stouter than the one on the new points. I checked the kit after searching the forum and seeing a similar post about the weaker spring floating the points above 2000rpm and did not find another spring or a helper spring. After re-installing the old points the boat purrs like a kitten and revs like it should. Thanks again for everything. Its such a beneficial tool to have advice from experience at my fingertips. Needless to say I have ordered a new set of points with a stronger spring.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 9:58am
Cake!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 10:46am
Glad to hear that one is solved!
Art
"Art"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 11:32am
Always nice when we get the ending of the story - congrats.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic