NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

porting the SBC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: porting the SBC
    Posted: September-25-2013 at 3:59pm

I run in salt and that negates the possibility of using an aluminum intake. So Im stuck with regular marine stuff unless I go closed cooling, which I will not do.
5.7 GM Vortech
I have the Mercruiser bow tie high rise intake already installed along the the Mercruier / Weber version of the AFB carburetor.
Thunderbolt V ignition system.
Compression is right at 213 psi even, all 8 holes.
I figure that setup gets me to the 280 horsepower neighborhood.
It runs extremely well but i want a little more.

First thought was 202 heads and a cam. True that would put me up where i want to be in the 320 hp range but I would be lighter in the pocket by at least $1000. Paying and playing,, i know, I know.

Then I thought that just making what I have flow better might be a big improvement on its own.

So my thoughts are to pull the heads this winter and match port the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and heads. I used to do that to my old Toyota 20R racing 4 bangers with great results 30 years ago.

My question is: do you thinks it's worth the hassle? Think I'll notice anything in performance? Or just a placebo effect from knowing its ported.

I haven't done it in 30 years, so has anything changed? Prussian blue, scribe to the gasket, remove material, polish casting bumps and pits from the passages is all I ever did.

Thanks.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 4:51pm
I mean doing 8 ports per side is pretty labor intensive in itself then add intake ports and exhaust manifold ports. Just little port work probably won't net you much over 15 or so ponies unless it's just totally obstructed as it sits by manifold to head port misalignment. Now if you got into opening up the bowls some I would say it would probably be worth while.

But if you get inside a port much you can screw up way more than you can help.

I have always wanted to try it but don't have the want to trash a set of heads due to my inexperience. I would like to pick up a cheap set of heads for my Mopar and do that because the smog heads are a dime dozen and can be ported to flow 230 cfm + on the intake side.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 4:52pm
John,From messing around with my Vortec heads and research on them light porting can be done (general clean up of the casting marks/lumps) but don’t take material away from around/behind the valve seats that is the main flow part (makes the vortex to flow so well) if you do it will flow less....then you need to go bigger valves to bring it back up, 400hp can be done easy on clean Vortec’s it’s the valve guide height that needs work easy done with a hand drill and cutters you can buy or run longer stems on the valves then a bigger lift cam.

Keep an eye out for Indmar Vortec intake they are ally but the water ways are bronze lined.   

Good luck with the build.      
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 5:18pm
Im not going to touch the bowls or ramps. Just clean up the casting seams and gasket match the intakes. I may take some material out of the exhaust sides depending upon how they match up to the manifolds and what the short sides look like.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 6:08pm
I would have to agree for the most part on what Zach and Roger say. The Vortec heads flow really well right out of the box. Unless you can match up a port job with a new intake (at minimum), I would think that you're going to see very little, if any gain at all.
Now, if you had the old style non-Vortec heads, then it could be worth your time. From what I hear and read, you can expect 25HP gains.

I ported two sets of heads for my SBC (non-Vortec) but they were added with other mods at the same time so I can't really say what the porting itself did for it. The mods together were awesome and well worth it and I was really glad I did the porting.
Would I have pulled the heads, done just the porting and put it back together? Probably not. I had 50 hr's into the first set and 30-35 hrs. into the second set. Then you'll have to grind the valve seats before you bolt them back on because you WILL hit the seats once or twice. It's a given. Face it.
I must admit, it would be very interesting to do just once to see exactly what gains you can get. I would love to do just that to the GT40P heads in John's boat knowing how well that runs now. I would just have to get rid of about 100 other things I need to do first before the next hundred comes up.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 6:24pm
Hmm... maybe a cam. The more I read the more I see Vortec heads are good for 400+ hp straight of the box.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 7:20pm
If you go with a bigger lift cam you will need to use bee hive springs or open the old spring seats out to take stronger springs…also good to take out the old push in rocker posts and tap for screw in type …its all in my thread UK's 78 SN
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

If you go with a bigger lift cam you will need to use bee hive springs or open the old spring seats out to take stronger springs…also good to take out the old push in rocker posts and tap for screw in type …its all in my thread UK's 78 SN

Link?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 7:48pm
John I'm at home on a tablet which I'm poor on look in maintenance page 30 and page 6 on my thread

At work now on a PC now Link UK's 78 SN
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 12:01pm
I stuck together a Vortec headed older block 350. Should be in the 9.5-10.0 to 1 compression area. Somewhat conservative camshaft because I thought I would be limited by the old style Chevy valve guide lift limitations. Good dual plane intake and a 600 cfm marine Holley. With good manifolds I am expecting it to be in the 325 hp range. I mean the fuel injected engines today are running 343 horse through what I assume are good old Vortec heads.

A nice set of 120 hour Vortec heads came available for a great price so I jumped. Hopefully see how it runs in the spring fingers crossed.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 12:06pm
The downer with boats VS cars is you are limited to a smaller range of camshafts because if you get too wild with the overlap and duration you don't reap any of the benefits from the higher RPM operation (IE. unless you drop big dollars marine manifolds don't have the cylinder scavenging benefits of a collector style header).
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 5:06pm
why do you refuse to go with closed loop cooling? Salt water eats iron blocks...
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 5:16pm
I wouldn't be opposed to a closed loop system if I were a salty dawg either!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 7:02pm
Zach,
Sea water will eat a hole through the water jackets on an aluminum intake in less than a season turning my engine into an 8 cylinder aquarium.

Closed cooling is a pain in the ass and only protects the block and heads. I still have to change manifolds and risers every 3-4 years at considerable expense.
In over 27 years working in the marine industry I never seen a reasonably well maintained engine fail from sea water corrosion of the block and heads. Its always an accessory that digs the grave.
That and the motor box barely fits now!
The standard Volvo or Mercruiser SBC with Vortec heads, 4bbl carb and cast iron high rise intake makes 280 hp. The standard intake is 260hp with I believe the same cam.
320 hp is what Im after. I figure a cam and gasket matching the exhaust ports and manifolds might get me there.
I have contacts at Flagship and am going ask them what kind of budget I need to get where I want to be.
This is a standard rotation engine. I run a LH prop and to boat runs nice and level.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 7:33pm
WFO:
4800 RPM / 49 mph and she flattens out bad around 4400.
I would like her to pull harder and higher. (did I just say that out loud?)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 8:14pm
Those are good numbers if you have a slow hull like you describe. Still running a 13x13 federal?

I suspect a new Acme will make you a lot happier... Might not net you any more top end but it'll get there a lot faster. If you want 50+ I'd throw a new cam in it. That's gotta be the main difference from a 260hp motor and a 330-343hp one if they all have vortec heads.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 8:37pm
13 /13 OJ but it's an old OJ. Probably no better than the federal/.
You know Tim, I ned a prop anyway. maybe ill start there and leave a good running motor in one piece.

I just hot rodded the boys go kart and now everything MUST GO FASTER! Hah!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 8:46pm
I've found the ojs to be an improvement over the federals for all around use... But they're still no acme. Start there and report back.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 5:46am
May be of interest too..Vortec marine intake
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic