Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboarding advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboarding advice?
    Posted: December-03-2013 at 11:05pm
How do you get up properly?
What speed does the driver go at?
Cutting across waves?
Live life to the fullest!
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 11:23am
There are many on here that could advise better, but for me, the first time I tried at 51 years old, I was completely frustrated, as I was trying to get up as you would on Ski's. All I did was plow the water.
With your knees to your chest, arms outside elbows at knees, get the board under you, angled up at leading edge, as the boat pulls you forward at a slow speed you will have control. Stay in this position and you will "float up" to the surface and turn to your strong leg (usually right)and lean back. Now its balance.Soften knees like shock adsorbers.
I like speed of about 18, my daughters like around 15.
Cutting across waves and jumping only takes practice.
Have fun!!
Js
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 1:07pm
The driver is more important when learning to get up that the skier. There is no such thing as too slow.

For the skier, keep the knees bent, board in front and tipped forward. Don't stand up, let the boat pull you out of the water, and don't worry about turning the board immediately, you can ride it sideways all day, especially at low speeds. Biggest mistake guys make (in my experience) is trying to stand up too soon, or trying to lift themselves with their arms. The boat is stronger than you, I promise, let it do the work.

Once you get up, don't be afraid to ride slow, 15-16, until you get comfortable. I personally like to be around 19 or 20, but realize that each incremental speed change impacts the shape and width of the wake drastically.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 1:37pm
Just like skiing, I like to drag them at idle speed. If you can't remain in control here you won't be getting up and riding very far. NO stretch rope (short as it goes, 50-60') if you have access, and a high pull. Finally, like Adam and Jerry have said, don't fight the boat. If you plow, you ill lose. There must be some effort to angling the board parallel to the water from perpendicular. This may mean letting it go directly under you and getting up facing the boat, or initiating somewhat of a sideways stance (still with some board under you).

Slow slow slow, make incremental progress rather than ripping the handle out of their hands.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 1:46pm
Yes, beginnners apply way too much throttle,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 2:00pm
do you have a boom? just like anything else, that's the easiest way. Up on the boom 2-3 times to get the position and the feel, then the short rope 2-3 times, then the long line. I won't let a new person behind the boat until they've done both. And I also won't let them ski around the lake on the boom...you're up, you got the feeling, now you're in position, let go.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 9:41pm
No I don't have a boom. The challenge that I will have is wakeboarding behind my Dad's boat. He has an 18' checkmate which you can do watersports behind it but sort of challenging. It takes alot longer to be able to get up than with a Correct Craft. In other words the Checkmate is more of a go fast boat than an actual ski boat. I'm hoping someday to get a Ski Nautique. In that I like the style of them and how they do an awesome job of pulling people behind the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 10:01pm
you say someday, what's holding you back? the people on this site are great at maximizing boat for budget...even geography
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

The driver is more important when learning to get up that the skier. There is no such thing as too slow.

For the skier, keep the knees bent, board in front and tipped forward. Don't stand up, let the boat pull you out of the water, and don't worry about turning the board immediately, you can ride it sideways all day, especially at low speeds. Biggest mistake guys make (in my experience) is trying to stand up too soon, or trying to lift themselves with their arms. The boat is stronger than you, I promise, let it do the work.

Once you get up, don't be afraid to ride slow, 15-16, until you get comfortable. I personally like to be around 19 or 20, but realize that each incremental speed change impacts the shape and width of the wake drastically.

I agree with everything you said. The only thing I do differently is I turn the board immediately. I used to let the driver drag me a few feet, then pop up. A few weeks back I started like I normally did, but I kept my forward foot (goofy foot) up at a slight angle while sitting in the water. Once the slack is gone, my buddy hits the throttle and I pop right up. I find these easier on my back and shoulders.

We run 19-20 with a 60' rope. Still trying to learn the "pop" to get more air.

Captain Nick: definitely check-out YouTube for some tips, but the best thing you can do is just head out there and keep trying. I can't water ski to save my life, but I was able to get up on a wakeboard after my 3rd try and I'm a spaz.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2013 at 11:46pm
For what it's worth:

I spent an afternoon in the BFN of BuffaloBFN whilst he was tutoring wakeboard newbies. He told them all the same thing: Once you get up, let go of the rope (momentarily) with (what will be) your rear hand and the board will automatically/immediately turn straight. Worked every time, just like magic.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 4:01am
I bought a boat earlier in the year. It's a 2001 Baja 25 Outlaw. Has a 496 Mag H.O. 425 hp stock engine. Top speed of 70mph. I really do enjoy my boats look, speed, sound, and handling of the chop. The problem you can't ski behind it at all. I could only use it once a month because of the amount of gas my boat has a 96 gallon tank. The other reason I would like to keep it at my parents lake house. Which it would need a boat lift for the Ski Nautique. My current boat is on trailer at a marina. I also don't have a truck to tow with. So my two options would be keep my current boat and get the Ski Nautique as well. The Ski Nautique I could use for watersports and drive more often. The Baja for cruising and going fast. for   Or the other would be to sell my current boat and use the money for a Ski Nautique, boat lift, and a new dock for my parents lake house. This is what been the hold up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 6:45pm
I know everyone has different preferences, but for me, a boat you can't ski behind is useless. It can be fast, or big, or really nice, but give me an open bow ski boat that I can get a bunch of my friends on and I'm the happiest. That outlaw's not a cheap boat, you could get a lot of ski boat for that kind of money, especially if you want to get into wakeboarding, or any other watersport. Just my opinion.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 7:25pm

I know everyone has different preferences, but for me, a boat you can't ski behind is useless. It can be fast, or big, or really nice, but give me an open bow ski boat that I can get a bunch of my friends on and I'm the happiest. That outlaw's not a cheap boat, you could get a lot of ski boat for that kind of money, especially if you want to get into wakeboarding, or any other watersport. Just my opinion.

I kind of feel the same way. I like to look at and admire big boats and sail boats and fast boats (I am always distracted when I see the Fountain or Donzi or some such saltwater boat with 3 or 4 big outboards, the make and model changes every year, sitting on a lift in the sound on my way to the Outer Banks with my wife and kids), but I think I would find little interest in being in one of those very often or for very long. The ski boat, particularly the inboard, seems to the perfect combination of performance, utility and fun (I make do with the closed bow).
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 7:36pm

Im with ya there. A 70mph Correct Craft that still loves to pull... now that is a cool speed boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 7:38pm
not to mention the fact that for the same amount of gas you can go out 3 times a month instead of 1...there's the real value to me
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 10:08pm
Thank you there guys. Now you know what my holdup has been. As far as a Ski Nautique goes it would be closed bow anywhere from an 85 to a 93. I like the way those look. Of course they made changes throughout the years which is fine by me. If I could choose a color it would be in red.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2013 at 11:09pm
There's an application for team red you'll have to fill out
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 12:35am
He already did!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Captain Nick Captain Nick wrote:

Thank you there guys. Now you know what my holdup has been. As far as a Ski Nautique goes it would be closed bow anywhere from an 85 to a 93. I like the way those look. Of course they made changes throughout the years which is fine by me. If I could choose a color it would be in red.

'93 was the first year for composite stringers. If you don't want to ever worry about stringer rot, then you need go '93 or newer.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 10:37am
I have more people struggle to get up on the wakeboard than any other tow toy. I too suggest dropping the trailing hand so that the boat will pull the rider sideways. With both hands on the handle everyone wants to keep their body straight to the boat
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

I have more people struggle to get up on the wakeboard than any other tow toy. I too suggest dropping the trailing hand so that the boat will pull the rider sideways. With both hands on the handle everyone wants to keep their body straight to the boat

I am just learning to wakeboard. For me, the key to getting up has been knees close to chest, arms straight outside of knees, try to sit "high" in the water.   While keeping the leading edge from going under, angle the board just a little so the planing surface of the board is facing the water, then let the boat do the work (not too hard a pull from the driver, enough to get you on plane without pulling the handle out of your hands), then the lead foot seems to naturally rotate forward. I think slower speeds (15-16 mph) initially helped me start to build a little confidence, and I don't seem to slam into the water as hard if I catch and edge. I still have a mighty long way to go, still trying to switch the lead foot without falling, then on to trying figure out going from wake to wake I guess.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 2:01pm
I learned to jump wake to wake by just learning how to ollie on flat water then to ollie off the wake. Nobody in my family can get up on the wakeboard. I have even got in the water with them without any success. They all want to fight the boat instead of letting the boat pull them up. Guess I am not a good teacher. lol
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2013 at 3:01pm
I am 57, 315, wear a brace and I got up on a wakeboard first try. It wasn't a pretty sight but I did it. The trick is to let the boat do the work. I put the thing on and instantly felt like I was velcroed to the dock. A belly flop got me in the water. Once in I managed to flip right side up tucked my knees into my chest (ok belly) and kept the board perpendicular to the boat with the edge up about an inch out of the water. With arms straight I let the boat pull me. Not fighting the pull but not rushing to stand, the board ran underwater for a few seconds and than I was up. I was at an angle to the boat so I let go with my rear hand and the board straightened out but I instantly realized I didn't have enough strength to hold on so I grabbed back with two hands and road crooked all the way back to the dock. Getting a little cocky and thinking I could ride right out of the wake I proceeded and face planted. (I did say the event was not pretty) I called for my boy to swim out and help get the wakeboard off. I swam back in to cheers from all present.

So there that's my wakeboard story. I did it. I may not try again for a while but I did it. If you let the boat do the work you will too!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 12:20pm
I like reading about all the 50-plus people just learning to wakeboard. I went a few times each of the last 2 summers, realized I liked it and want to get better.

Kevin, I like your faceplant story! The first time I was trying a few summers ago, it took a bit for me to figure out how to get up. After the 2nd or 3rd face forward fall I heard my 10 year old tell her friend "somethings wrong, dad never falls." She had only seen me ski before. Anyway, after I was more patient and let the boat do the work, naturally rotated the board once up, it was easy to get up.

I have a fast boat, my jet boat, it's a lot of fun and not an expensive boat. Since I've had my Sport it's been in the water once in the last 2 summers. So Nick, based on your interest in watersports I'd say sell the Outlaw and get a nice ski boat, you'd only have to spend about half the money I would guess and then decide what to do with the rest.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 12:33pm
I hate to admit it but since most of you are I will also.

After 20 years of tournament 3 event water skiing and countless hours of practice I too had a hard time with the wakeboard.

It goes against everything you've done to get up on any other type of skiing. I quit trying to get up one day and did a deep water start to foot just to make sure I could still get up at all!

giving into the boat is the only way to get up. We had to give up our spot on a private tournament site and move to an open lake. My kids weren't going to become tournament skiers but they are very into boarding and now I've gotten into it and wake surfing. Went from a nice slalom wake to adding ballast to the largest boat I've owned.

I don't know what was harder, getting up on a board the first time or going 180 from a slalom boat to a wakeboard v drive.
2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Captain Nick Captain Nick wrote:

How do you get up properly?
What speed does the driver go at?
Cutting across waves?

This helped us. Worked well for the kids, one couldn't get up on skis but popped right up on a board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1GhUpIcc0
2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 1:09pm
Board setup is important also. A bigger board will have more float and be easier to learn on. Putting the boots wide will give the new rider a more secure feel with their stance. Duck the boots out 20-40 degrees. Ask the new rider if they have ever ridden a skateboard and if so which foot did they use to push? That is your back foot.   
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Ask the new rider if they have ever ridden a skateboard and if so which foot did they use to push? That is your back foot.   

Now that is helpful advice...I have always tried the try to push them over while standing and which foot do the catch themselves with test, which is not nearly as good...
89 SN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Board setup is important also.   Duck the boots out 20-40 degrees. Ask the new rider if they have ever ridden a skateboard and if so which foot did they use to push? That is your back foot.   

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one Bret. A 20-40 degrees is a bit excessive and I think your cruising for a serious knee injury that duck footed. Mine are set 9 degrees which for most people IMHO is a normal everyday stance. I've taught many of people to board and it's always worked.

Wayne, The push back method is what I use when a newby says, "I've never skateboarded before." I have also used the kickball question because most people have kicked a ball at some point in there life. Their plant foot is their forward foot.

My $.02 worth.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 2:28pm
If you are already a slalom skier, is your slalom front foot always going to be your wakeboard front foot?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic