NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Belt alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt alignment
    Posted: February-21-2014 at 10:32am
Take a close look at these pictures. The pulleys are not aligned properly. Belts are offset and creating belt dust. How do I fix this problem?

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 10:45am
This is a common problem; it wasn't highly engineered to say the least.    I added a washer under the screw head, which rotated it into better alignment, see photo.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 11:24am
You can take a straight edge and lay it across the face of the water pump pulley and see how much you need to shim the RWP to get it aligned.
Some strategic washers/shims added to the mounting bracket at the block and/or the pump end will fix it up. You might need to get a little creative.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 8:28am
Glad to see someone else has this issue. noticed that on my boat last year and starting thinking alt, water pump or something. Also glad to see its an easy fix.
if it floats it's not sunk
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 9:12am
I have the same problem on mine.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 9:34am
You'd be amazed at how much the alignment improves if you keep a healthy amount of pressure on the pulley (pulling it starboard) while tightening the bolts.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 10:21am
92 Ski. Same issue fixed with washers. Like a puzzle.
Js
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 11:47am
Thanks guy. Going to install a new belt set when I freshen her up with a new impeller.
Will work with a few strategic washers if needed. Usually use a pry bar on the pulley and alternator when tightening the belts. So, I'll give it a go and get her ready for the water. Won't be too long now
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 3:40pm
Looks like some belt dust on the alternator too.
An 18in. straight edge is very handy tool and a half dozen
thin and thick washers.

Most of us have tackled this before.
I bent a joggle in my alternator top bracket
to get both pulleys into alignment.

Put it together, take it apart - repeat.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Looks like some belt dust on the alternator too.

It even looks misaligned from the picture. Yes, washers, a straight edge and a tape measure are basic mechanic 101 tool. Don't forget there are directions (plains) for proper alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 5:14pm
Ibadan that issue last year and Tim's right about the tightening stuff it, that would straighten it out. The problem was that also pulled the threads out of the pump which made it crooked again. After a couple of tries to get it to stay without pulling out the threads I went up a size on the bolts and and started with some fresh threads and everything worked first try.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 5:29pm
Don, just sent you a PM regarding the dash pod (hi-jacking my own thread!).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 6:04pm
I was never able to get mine aligned right. I added washers and re-installed it several times with no luck. I just got fed up. I'll be replacing the impeller again shortly, so I'll try it again, but here's what it looks like presently.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I was never able to get mine aligned right.

JP,
How much tension do you have on the RWP belt? If it's not excessive nor has never been bad enough to distort the RWP bracket, then some machining of the bracket will be needed to bring the mounting surfaces parallel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 6:44pm
Not much tension at all. I pull on the pump by hand to tighten the belt. I dont use a breaker bar or anything.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 6:36pm
Jim, Moroso made a nice kit of spacers. The washers work of course; sometimes harder to re-assemble. The kit comes in 5 thicknesses I think...I have a couple here.

Knock it back if you need the part #.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2014 at 7:13pm
Just a though fellas. Im not a Ford guy but the Chebbies circ pump pulley flange is a press fit and can be adjusted a little with a puller or hammer depending upon desired direction of said adjustment. Remove pulley, place cheap 5/8 or so socket over shaft contacting the flange only and give it a smack.
Is this perhaps also the case here? If you could romance that circ pump pulley back a few MM without hitting anything it would be sunshine and roses all around.
That's how us hacks get pulleys to line up when a replacement pump doesn't line up when installed.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic